Steel Recommendation

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
7x57mm@gmail.com

Steel Recommendation

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

What Japanese steel/knife brand is close to German steel HRC? Why? Investigating a malleable Japanese blade steel to handle things that “most” Japanese steel should not see (bones, semi-frozen proteins, woody stems etc). This will be used by a young, budding new cook. Or, should I just purchase a Victorinox as a good starter knife?
aporigine

Re: Steel Recommendation

Post by aporigine »

I would say something like Sakai Takayuki inox comes close. They’re a bit harder (58-60 Rc) than a Henckels. They’re also >2x the cost of a Vic. I’d go Swiss on this one.

https://www.hocho-knife.com/sakai-takayuki-inox/
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
7x57mm@gmail.com

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

aporigine wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:25 pm I would say something like Sakai Takayuki inox comes close. They’re a bit harder (58-60 Rc) than a Henckels. They’re also >2x the cost of a Vic. I’d go Swiss on this one.

https://www.hocho-knife.com/sakai-takayuki-inox/
Roger that 👍
gladius

Post by gladius »

Also consider MAC Knives <<.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Anything in AEB-L or one of it's equivalents should serve a new cook well. It is a very tough steel that takes a very fine edge with much better edge retention than any european stainless. I use a gyuto in AEB-L steel to trim spare rib racks St. Louis style and other butchering tasks and never worry about bones or cartilage. I've used it on "semi" frozen foods too without incident.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.