My Kramer Glass 5K Cracked But It Is All Good

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
billk1002

My Kramer Glass 5K Cracked But It Is All Good

Post by billk1002 »

So one of my favorite stones has a crack in it, oh no!!
I went to touch up my Yahiko Ginsan Nashiji Hand Engraved Kiritsuke 210mm, it has seen some very heavy use the last few weeks, and I like to hit my knives on the Kramer 5K or Debado 6K before I take them out of the rotation and DAM it has cracked.
I went ahead and used it and all is good with the world, it still functioned perfectly, you can absolutely NOT feel the crack while sharpening.
I am under the impression that this is a Chosera compound on glass, I have read that in many places, so has anyone experienced their Chosera cracking?
I do own the 1K Chosera mounted on the base and it is absolutely one of my favorite stones and have had no issues with it.
IMG_5881.JPG
IMG_5882.JPG
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
Mowgface

Re: My Kramer Glass 5K Cracked But It Is All Good

Post by Mowgface »

Chosera’s have had a reputation of hairline cracks when the stones have been soaked.

They were magnesia bonded, and if soaked the binding agent could leech out and lead to cracking.
Jeff B

Re: My Kramer Glass 5K Cracked But It Is All Good

Post by Jeff B »

Have seen a lot of complaints over the years about Chosera stones cracking or spider webbing, mostly happening to the 3k. It's has been a few years since I've seen it brought up though. Most were like yours and the cracks don't seem to be an issue. Have heard of only a few eventually breaking in half that were not on bases. I've had Choseras for 10 years with no cracking, some of my favorite synthetics.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.