Your Preferred Two Knives Combo

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
ex1580

Re: Your Preferred Two Knives Combo

Post by ex1580 »

At home it would be the Shibata Kashima R-2 Gyuto 210mm and the Kohetsu HAP40 Western Petty 120mm. They are tons of fun, tough enough steel so I don't worry about hurting them, and they hold an edge for a long time. At home my board is full of fun knives that don't cost a ton because life is short.

When I walk out the door though I bring MAC Pros, I believe the MAC Professional Mighty Chef's Knife 8 1/2" and MAC Professional Petty 120mm, along with the MAC Superior Bread Knife 10.5 Inch. Nothing I can't do with that setup (and easy to replace or fix). :D
Last edited by ex1580 on Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam
jknife

Post by jknife »

Konosuke 210 HD gyuto and Masakage Ko Bunka
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

I don't have a ton of knives but I do have a long shopping list. So if I were speaking hypothetically about knives I don't own there are many options. That is the problem with CKTG. There aren't really bad knives, just some I prefer more than others. I like a pointy gyuto at about 220-230mm with an indestructible 130ish mm petty. Slicers and other specialty knives as needed.

Sticking with my budget theme...
  • Kanehide TK seems like a good do anything sort of knife that you don't need to worry about hurting. Low price too!
  • Makoto Sakura SG2 is beautiful knife that looks like a real performer. But is it better than my Takamura?
  • Takayuki Grand Chef seems like one knife to rule them all in a pro kitchen setting (DISCLAIMER: I am not a pro). I really like the look of the blades. Not sure about the handle though (I did see some tempting rehandled ones on the internet somewhere). I may have to buy this knife one day.
  • Kohetsu HAP40 for a less expensive knife with ultimate edge retention. I don't need that but if I did this would be at the top of my list.
Now, if I was spending your money then for sure it would be a Sukenari 240mm gyuto in HAP40 or ZDP189. If I had that knife then what other knives do I need?! Ha! Well... Probably a Kikuichi Swedish Warikomi Damascus. And, and, and... :)

Can anyone comment on any of these knives and if they should or should not be on this list?
Sam
eddiesalita

Post by eddiesalita »

Haha..... the difficulty of choosing just two is totally unsurprisingly apparent.

If I could only have two I'd probably pick a tall minimal flex 240mm Sujihiki and a 150-165mm petty.