Need help figuring out a main course.

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Robstreperous

Need help figuring out a main course.

Post by Robstreperous »

Hi. Wondering if I can tap into the creative energies of the board to figure out something... that'll make me look good.

I'm hosting the main course for a progressive dinner next month. It'll be 3 steps, hors d'oeuvres, main course, desert. I'd like to be able to attend the hors d'oeuvres course -- a 15 minute drive from my house so I'm looking for something low fuss the day of and as do ahead as possible.

Ordinarily I'd do a Beef Bourguignon which I can do in my sleep, do a couple of days ahead, and pop in the oven to warm (I can set start times ahead on my oven and monitor progress on my phone). My problem here is I'd like to respect some of my guests' culinary requirements --- they wouldn't eat bacon.

Anybody have any good suggestions? I'm thinking braise. Figure about 12 people. I need to avoid pork and shellfish.... Thoughts?
XexoX

Re: Need help figuring out a main course.

Post by XexoX »

Hmmm, how about a slow roasted Prime Rib, with a blast at the end? It could rest while you attended the Hors d'oeuvres and the oven brought up to 500 F. Make ahead mashed taters (the ones I made a few years back had sour cream and cream cheese in them and reheated very well) and a veggie?
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Ambitious_Goo

Post by Ambitious_Goo »

If the guests in question avoid pork and shellfish, it's possible they also would prefer to avoid obviously combining meat and dairy in the same dish (I assume they don't keep strictly kosher or they wouldn't attend, but there's a range of "kosher style" restrictions people hold by in between).
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Good point. I'll be ok as long as I avoid dairy and meat in the same dish and avoid pork and shellfish. I would avoid scaleless fish except... I'm not cooking fish!

Prime rib's not a bad idea except.... Prime rib for 12? I think I might need a bank loan and most these people I don't really know very well. Yet at least.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

So I guess marinated pork loins wrapped in bacon is out huh........ :( :twisted:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

How about Crisp Chicken Schnitzel With Lemony Herb Salad.

Modern Chicken Marbella
Shoyu Sugar Steak
Slow Cooker Chicken Tagine

Or just browse here.

I should note, I haven't tried these, they just sounded good, no dairy, no pork, no seafood. Maybe fish sauce, but leave that out, if you like.
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Jeff B wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:19 pm So I guess marinated pork loins wrapped in bacon is out huh........ :( :twisted:
Stuffed inside a whole hog, of course.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

Scratch corned beef n cabbage is a fun low brow high brow play, I have some good wet brine ratios if that suits your needs… same spec but involves a smoker is pastrami… Two sides of salmon can feed more than 12 and is low fuss in a low temp oven til 123 degrees if you change your mind on fish it’s a real easy one to pull off.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

Robstreperous wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:12 pm Good point. I'll be ok as long as I avoid dairy and meat in the same dish and avoid pork and shellfish. I would avoid scaleless fish except... I'm not cooking fish!

Prime rib's not a bad idea except.... Prime rib for 12? I think I might need a bank loan and most these people I don't really know very well. Yet at least.
So much for the bacon-wrapped sea scallops; dang.

Roast duck perhaps?

(add) home-corned beef and latkes is a damn fine meal.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Chicken gumbo
I don't think there's a simpler dish that packs that kind of flavor and joy.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Oh dear heavens!!! What do I get myself into with this post?
Thanks guys.

I want to do a braise so I can cook it on Wednesday and eat it on Saturday ….. when it will probably taste better.

The idea here is to do almost no work the day I serve it. I’ll also have almost nothing time to cook an hour before serving.

Anybody know any good braises that don’t use bacon?

[Rob burries head in arms and laughs. ]
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Robstreperous wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:50 pm Oh dear heavens!!! What do I get myself into with this post?
Thanks guys.

I want to do a braise so I can cook it on Wednesday and eat it on Saturday ….. when it will probably taste better.

The idea here is to do almost no work the day I serve it. I’ll also have almost nothing time to cook an hour before serving.

I have a great brisket recipe that I learned from a friend. Been using it for ~30 years. If you'd like it, I'll shoot you a PM.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Robstreperous wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:50 pm Oh dear heavens!!! What do I get myself into with this post?
Thanks guys.

We are just trying to help Sir Rob! Here are 52 Recipes to Get Your Braise On from Bon Appétit. Maybe one of them will work for you.

And here are 19 Braising Recipes to Simmer All Day and Eat All Week from Epicurious for your perusal.

Let us not forget Food & Wine with 27 recipes for Braising Recipes.

And from the Seattle Times we have This braised chicken has a little heat and a lot of flavor which says to make a day in advance if you can.

How about some Garlic Braised Short Ribs With Red Wine.

And finally there are 33 Braised Meat Recipes to Turn a House Into a Home from Saveur.

Some of the recipes may need to be doubled to feed 12 people.

Best of luck.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I asked Copilot your question and got this:
Copilot
Certainly! Let’s create a delicious and diverse menu for your progressive dinner party without pork or shellfish. Here are some mouthwatering main course options:

Chicken Cacciatore: Tender chicken thighs sautéed with a medley of vegetables, served over buttery egg noodles. This Italian classic is hearty and flavorful 1.
Vegan Wellington: Impress your guests with a showstopping vegan Wellington. Packed with roasted red peppers, cooked beetroot, and kale, this dish is both elegant and delicious 1.
Whole Braised Chicken in Rich Gravy (Duruj Kura): Originating from the Chittagong district of Bangladesh, this mellow, lightly spiced, and creamy chicken dish is traditionally served to welcome a new groom into the bride’s family 1.
Austrian Wiener Schnitzel: For a meaty main with a difference, try this crispy breaded veal or chicken cutlet. Serve it with buttered potatoes for a quick and satisfying dinner party option 1.
Porchetta with Salsa Verde: Although traditionally made with pork, you can adapt this tender dish by using a boneless lamb shoulder or beef roast. The crisp crackling, roasties, and fresh salsa verde make it a winner 1.
Roast Duck Breast with Figs, Rosemary, and Garlic Fried Potatoes: Sumptuous duck breast served with sweet figs and salty potatoes—a perfect balance of flavors for an elegant dinner 1.
Braised Shoulder of Lamb: Elevate your dinner party with this gourmet choice. Skilfully roast lamb with a whole bottle of red wine for irresistibly tender results 1.
Saffron Risotto: Creamy and luxurious, saffron-infused risotto pairs well with roast chicken or can stand alone as an impressive vegetarian option 1.

While I wouldn't eat lamb nothing there is jumping out at me. Personally I would make skewers of beef and chicken shish ke bobs served on beds of rice. or chicken marsala. With a rice maker (or two) to keep rice warm, you could keep skewers warm in the oven and viola, looks good and tasty and wont break the bank.
For skewers i would do cherry tomatoes (or halves/quarters of roma), red/orange or yellow bell, sweet or red onions and shrooms. glaze with good bbq sauce or teriyaki. Leave skewers intact or guests will pick out what they like. I cook cherry tomatoes by themselves as they dont/wont handle the cook time for the rest of the stuff.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

lol mama (came here from Vienna) cheated and made her schnitzel from pork chops.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
Ambitious_Goo

Post by Ambitious_Goo »

For braises without bacon (it can be done, I promise--and actually there are a lot of traditionally Jewish braise recipes, since a lot of the more tender cuts aren't kosher unless you do the very fiddly task of removing the sciatic nerve--the more common kosher cuts NEED low and slow) you might think in a sweet and sour direction. A brisket recipe would do you well, or something like Fesenjan: https://www.seriouseats.com/fesenjan-pe ... pe-8425670

Or, honestly, you could still make a rich beef and red wine stew without the bacon. Just compensate for the fat the bacon would add, and perhaps use some smoked paprika or similar. Maybe get creative with the spicing in general--something like that will love a lot of rosemary.

(And yes, I am currently pescatarian, but I wasn't always and I do know some things about cooking meat).
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:04 pm
Thanks guys.

I have a great brisket recipe that I learned from a friend. Been using it for ~30 years. If you'd like it, I'll shoot you a PM.
And in case you haven't noticed, Mr. Suburban's meals always look so delicious!
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

XexoX wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:28 pm
Thanks guys.

And in case you haven't noticed, Mr. Suburban's meals always look so delicious!
His photoessays are salivary. Pavlovian, if that rings a bell.
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Thanks guys.

Yeppp... thought about that. It's just that I've done so many briskets (smoked and otherwise) it's getting a little routine.... Right direction though...
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

XexoX wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:10 pm
Thanks guys.

We are just trying to help Sir Rob! Here are 52 Recipes to Get Your Braise On from Bon Appétit. Maybe one of them will work for you.

And here are 19 Braising Recipes to Simmer All Day and Eat All Week from Epicurious for your perusal.

Let us not forget Food & Wine with 27 recipes for Braising Recipes.

And from the Seattle Times we have This braised chicken has a little heat and a lot of flavor which says to make a day in advance if you can.

How about some Garlic Braised Short Ribs With Red Wine.

And finally there are 33 Braised Meat Recipes to Turn a House Into a Home from Saveur.

Some of the recipes may need to be doubled to feed 12 people.

Best of luck.
Excellent advice! Thank you for starting my research for me.