Withdrawn - Devin Thomas ITK 270mm Wa-Gyuto AEB-L - Custom Handle $540 + Shipping

Here you can research prices of sold items.
claudiowalker

Withdrawn - Devin Thomas ITK 270mm Wa-Gyuto AEB-L - Custom Handle $540 + Shipping

Post by claudiowalker »

I seem to not be able to include photos as all the button does in included HTML and does not allow me to select photos. Photos are available at KitchenKnifeForum.com. Included are several photos including the receipt from CKTG.

It is with much regret that I have decided to part with my Devin Thomas knife which has been my favorite knife for a decade. But, I want to jump back down the rabbit whole and need to sell this knife to do so. It is a great cutter. Sharpens super easy and holds an edge well.

Look the Devin Thomas enshrinement to the Culinary Hall of Fame as a knife maker. This is the real deal.

The knife is newly polished and sharpened and is a razor.

The handle is new and is Amboyna Burl with brass spacers and a buffalo horn ferrule and heel.

Purchased for $540 plus taxes in 2010 from CKTG. I do not want to take advantage so I have decided to sell if for the same price of $540 not including shipping. First come, first serve as I do not want to run an auction.

Devin Thomas is known for his incredible steel and heat treatment. From his website:

"My focus with knives is to offer quality workmanship, the best damascus I can produce, and to make it into a comfortable knife with a thin edge and precise heat treatment. I feel that thick edges are for factory knives. A thin edge cuts longer, better, and is easier to sharpen. I think the best combination of durability and cutting ability is with a shallow, thin convex grind. The convex grind gives strength to the thin edge and pushes material away as it's cutting. My favorite stainless steel, AEB-L, offers many performance characteristics of carbon steels through it's extremely fine grain and carbide size, it is sometimes called "stainless 52100." These properties include: great ease of sharpening, edge retention, and toughness, while offering excellent stain resistance. The study of metallurgy and heat treatment has been an important pursuit for me. I have discovered which steels to use and what heat treatments for different knives and customers, but there is always more to learn. I use a multiple austenititizing technique with my stainless and carbon steels for a very small grain size. Cryogenic processing helps give the blades their maximum potential."

Administrator/Moderator approved post - Jeff B
Last edited by claudiowalker on Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
claudiowalker

Re: WTS Selling - Devin Thomas ITK 270mm Wa-Gyuto AEB-L - Custom Handle

Post by claudiowalker »

The knife has had two chips years ago and was tipped a couple of mm once. I had the damage profiled out. The original specs were 272x52x3.0 mm. The specs are now 268x48x3mm. I did thin the blade and restored the perfectly convex guide and it works well for me.
Last edited by claudiowalker on Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

Can you attach some pictures? I wish my knives became worth more money as I used them. :P
Sam
Corradobrit

Post by Corradobrit »

Not sure where you purchased but Mark was charging $300-350 for these blades back in the day.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

ex1580 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:19 am ...I wish my knives became worth more money as I used them. :P
You just have to get a couple Michelin stars or use an inflation calculator
From what I gather on other forums, the OP has adjusted his asking price down to his original purchase price, $540.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

@claudiowalker
I Need to make some comments here.
Just so you know.... you cannot run auctions on this forum.
Second you HAVE to use pictures. How do we know the knife is real.

And most important is that you disclose ALL relevant info which as far as I can tell you have not done here.
I have seen this knife on Reddit and KKF and the description here is missing some very vital facts.

Namely......
"The knife has had two chips years ago and was tipped a couple of mm once. I had the damage profiled out. The original specs were 272x52x3.0 mm. The specs are now 268x48x3mm. I did thin the blade and restored the perfectly convex guide and it works well for me."
Why is this missing from the text above?

Also on that site your price is very different......
"Purchased for $540 plus taxes in 2010 from CKTG. If that were adjusted for inflation it would be over $800 today but...In light of the fact that it has been used, and sharped a lot and has lost ~3mm of height, I am willing to part for around what I originally paid - $540 plus shipping. That being said, I will entertain reasonable offers."

You may want to consider editing this listing.
claudiowalker

Re: WTS Selling - Devin Thomas ITK 270mm Wa-Gyuto AEB-L - Custom Handle $540 + Shipping

Post by claudiowalker »

Hi Mauichef,

I regret that I received some feedback on KKF and updated the listing late last night but was unable to update this listing until today. It is now updated and and all information is disclosed to the best of my ability. The price is also listed as $540 + shipping as it is on KKF. Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to add photos to this site. When I hit the insert photo button, it simply inserts HTML and does not let me select any photos. Maybe because I am on a Mac. I can't figure it out.

Thanks for the feedback. I am trying to be above the board but I have never sold a knife and am learning what is relevant and expected to be detailed.
claudiowalker

Re: WTS Selling - Devin Thomas ITK 270mm Wa-Gyuto AEB-L - Custom Handle $540 + Shipping

Post by claudiowalker »

Does anyone know why the Insert Photo button is not working on my Mac. In the meantime, one can find photos on Kitchenknifeforums.com. I have included the receipt.
claudiowalker

Post by claudiowalker »

Corradobrit wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:27 am Not sure where you purchased but Mark was charging $300-350 for these blades back in the day.
I can't seem to include photos. The Insert Images button is not working. One can find photos on Kitchenknifeforums.com. I have included the receipt for skeptics but that is what was paid.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

claudiowalker wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:01 pm Does anyone know why the Insert Photo button is not working on my Mac. In the meantime, one can find photos on Kitchenknifeforums.com. I have included the receipt.
You need to use a photo site such as imgur...there's several others but that's what I use.
I just paste and copy the BBCode or Linked BBCode.
I hope you find a way to jump back into the rabbit hole.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

claudiowalker wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:01 pm Does anyone know why the Insert Photo button is not working on my Mac. In the meantime, one can find photos on Kitchenknifeforums.com. I have included the receipt.
The receipt is unimportant regarding a knife that has been used hard.

You can’t sell a Jeep (even with the coveted Limited Edition device) that you bought new over a decade ago for $30k, then put 170 thousand miles on, for $54k.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

claudiowalker wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:02 pm
Corradobrit wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:27 am Not sure where you purchased but Mark was charging $300-350 for these blades back in the day.
I can't seem to include photos. The Insert Images button is not working. One can find photos on Kitchenknifeforums.com. I have included the receipt for skeptics but that is what was paid.
In Full Editor & Preview look under the dialog box for the "Attachments" tab. You can upload photos from your computer from there.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Corradobrit

Post by Corradobrit »

claudiowalker wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:02 pm
There is no receipt posted on KKF. Would love to see where you paid almost 2x retail in 2010.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

aporigine wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:24 pm You can’t sell a Jeep (even with the coveted Limited Edition device) that you bought new over a decade ago for $30k, then put 170 thousand miles on, for $54k.
Ha, that pretty much sums up the used jeep market
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

claudiowalker wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:55 pm Hi Mauichef,

I regret that I received some feedback on KKF and updated the listing late last night but was unable to update this listing until today. It is now updated and and all information is disclosed to the best of my ability. The price is also listed as $540 + shipping as it is on KKF. Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to add photos to this site. When I hit the insert photo button, it simply inserts HTML and does not let me select any photos. Maybe because I am on a Mac. I can't figure it out.

Thanks for the feedback. I am trying to be above the board but I have never sold a knife and am learning what is relevant and expected to be detailed.
You have not edited your post as you stated. You have not included descriptions of the past damage and repairs as well as the reduced size etc.
This is really bad form especially as you have been granted special dispensation allowing you to post in the classifieds with no previous posts anywhere else. Normally people are required to make 30 relevant posts before advertising in the classifieds.

BTW.....Devin Thomas is still making knives. His rare Damascus blades do fetch a premium price in the second hand market BUT only for perfect examples. Yours is neither, so you might want to reevaluate your price requirement. Trying to sell a knife that is over 10 years old and has been damaged in various ways, for the original purchase price will earn you derision not offers. Just a suggestion.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

These are some of the pics posted of the knife in question.
299070-IMG-0417.jpeg
299071-IMG-0418.jpeg
299072-IMG-0419.jpeg
299073-IMG-0422.jpeg
taz575

Post by taz575 »

And the other 3 since I can only attach 4 per post.
299075-IMG-0427.jpeg
299076-IMG-0424.jpeg
Whole knife:
devin-thomas-itk-aeb-l-270mm-gyuto-540-obo-v0-zy2uknj0zepc1.jpg
No receipt has been posted that I can find.

Are these pictures before or after the thinning? It looks like a fairly wide bevel on the edge?

Did you do the thinning and re convexing? What did you use; stones or power equipment? How did you refinish and polish the blade? What experience do you have in doing this?

Asking a premium for a knife with fuzzy photos (notice the choil shot is pretty grainy) for a knife that had a lot of work done to it is a bit strange. If Devin did the thinning/re polishing, that's one thing, but if someone else polished 3-4mm of height away, that will completely change the grind and how the knife performs. How do you know you kept his geometry and matched his polish?

On this and another forum, the poster only had one other post other than this one; a WTB for a Kurosaki AS Fujin 270mm, which on the other forums he would be willing to trade the DT for.

Caveat Emptor
Corradobrit

Post by Corradobrit »

The Buy-the-Seller moniker seems apt here and this seller falls well short on so many levels.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

Kerneldrop wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:07 am
aporigine wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:24 pm You can’t sell a Jeep (even with the coveted Limited Edition device) that you bought new over a decade ago for $30k, then put 170 thousand miles on, for $54k.
The used car market is completely (short burst of static).
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

aporigine wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:51 am
Kerneldrop wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:07 am
The used car market is completely (short burst of static).
Hey.... I resemble (sic) that remark......I used to be a used car salesman ;) And I do have some stories, that I will not reveal!