Knife Recommendation: Flat Profile Gyuto

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Hilas

Knife Recommendation: Flat Profile Gyuto

Post by Hilas »

Hey CKTG forum, first post for me here!

I’m a professional prep and line cook, looking for a gyuto or kiritsuke for my fresh knife roll (rebuilding my kit after taking a break from foodservice and returning a couple months ago).

As the title says I’m looking for something quite flat and 240mm within the current stock/offerings (many of the suitable knives recommend in other posts are OOS).

I’ll list a few knives that have caught my eye; rest of the details in the q’s below. Thanks y’all!

- Masakage Koishi Gyuto 210mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/makogy21.html (Looks like a perfect shape, but a bit short)
- Kohetsu AS Togatta Gyuto 240mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/koastogy24.html (more of a rocker)
- Tabata Homono Blue #2 Togatta 240mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tabl2togy24o.html
(Looks great but not sure if Tabata is a good brand)

————

1)Pro or home cook?
Pro

2)What kind of knife do you want?
Gyuto or a Kiritsuke/K-tip (I tip draw quite often)

3) What size knife do you want?
240mm

4)How much do you want to spend?
Less than $300, ideally around $250

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
Stainless over carbon

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Japanese Wa Handle

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Misuzu SKS93 Bunka 160mm (https://www.chefknivestogo.com/miskbu16cu.html), LOVE this knife and use it for pretty much all my prep except for birds which I use a cheap honesuki for

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
Pretty good, definitely very strong with all veg

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
Push/Pull and tip draws 100% of the time unless it’s demanded of me

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
novice sharpener, using my stones about 3 or 4 times a week these days so I’m getting better
jknife

Re: Knife Recommendation: Flat Profile Gyuto

Post by jknife »

I was going to say you can’t go wrong with the Koishi but the 240 is out of stock. :(
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

trancher

Post by trancher »

Ogata San SG2 Kasumi 240mm Gyuto

Nice flat spot on these, R2/SG2 stainless steel.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ogsg2kagy24.html
Hilas

Post by Hilas »

jknife wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:58 am I was going to say you can’t go wrong with the Koishi but the 240 is out of stock. :(
Yeah if the 240 was in stock it’d probably be a no brainer to pick that one up.

Not sure if since I’m mostly a push cutter would I get “more knife’ out of a flatter 210 than a 240 with more belly?

I may be overthinking this one though haha
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi there Hilas & welcome to our forum.

I'm just a home cook and like taz my first thought was the Yahiko 240 kiritsuke. Firstly, it's a ginsan SS blade, which is about as close to a carbon blade in terms of performance & ease of sharpening as you can get. Very fine grain structure and it takes & holds a really good edge. I'm just an amateur in terms of "knife wielding", but it's also a great knife to use. It's a bit blade heavy compared to the normal 240.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Hilas wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:14 pm Yeah if the 240 was in stock it’d probably be a no brainer to pick that one up.
That looks like one of the standard 240 profiles...in other words, there's similar others in stock.

This is quality steel and looks flatter than the Kato you linked: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kosldgy24.html

The Yahiko 240mm K-tip that Taz recommended is a good one.
salemj

Post by salemj »

I haven't used the Kohetsu Togatta, but I'm not sure I'd call it a rocker. The original KS profile is definitely more of a flat-spot oriented profile. While the Kohetsu Togatta is a KS-clone, it still seems to have a generous flat stop at the back (the same cannot necessarily be said for Shibata's other knives, but his KS-clone, the Shibata Kashima, is technically a KS-clone that is also a very strongly recommended knife by many members that like big flat spots, it is in your price range, should be terrific in a professional environment, and should be added to the list!!). In case you don't know, KS-clone knives are designed to have along flat spots, and for the "bellys" to have a very big radius so that even along the "curve" they avoid accordion cuts. They are not so much "rockers" as mincers, if you get my drift, and they also work well as slicers.

Of the ones you list, the Kohetsu Togatta would by far be my first choice, but I'd also suggest you look at the Kashima for kicks. The Kohetsu has the bonus of a great length (undersized 240 as opposed to oversized, which will be better when you are on the line and in tight quarters). It is also shorter at the heel, so it works better for tip-pulls and for slicing. And the shorter heel also means it is likely to be flatter all along the edge, but it can still mince given the tip height...at least that is the way it looks. I have a KS and I have a KS clone, and both are excellent do-everything profiles. Beyond all of this, if I were a pro, I would want a knife with a clean face. It is faster and easier to wipe down clean where there is no texture or KU, in my opinion.

Just some thoughts to add to your own!
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Hilas

Post by Hilas »

Thanks for the recommendations y’all! Had a busy weekend of work, but I’ll get back to you guys with replies and an update on my purchase.
DMG92

Post by DMG92 »

Also would give the Ogata 240mm a recommendation. His profiles tend to be taller and flatter than average, and they just got restocked recently I believe, so I'd definitely give it a peek. Having tried a couple of his knives so far, he's impressed me with OOTB sharpness and how practical his migaki finish is at hiding scratches and overall kitchen wear.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

DMG92 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:05 pm Also would give the Ogata 240mm a recommendation. His profiles tend to be taller and flatter than average, and they just got restocked recently I believe, so I'd definitely give it a peek. Having tried a couple of his knives so far, he's impressed me with OOTB sharpness and how practical his migaki finish is at hiding scratches and overall kitchen wear.
Those do look really nice but all of the warnings about chipping put me off.
Sam
Miles

Post by Miles »

Here’s one on the edge of the budget that is really sweet- Nigara SG2 migaki.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/nisg2tski241.html

It’s flattish and a great performer. Good with dense product and not too sticky on soft. Pretty knife with some cool hammer marks. I have one in KU finish. Highly recommended.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ex1580 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:46 am
DMG92 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:05 pm Also would give the Ogata 240mm a recommendation. His profiles tend to be taller and flatter than average, and they just got restocked recently I believe, so I'd definitely give it a peek. Having tried a couple of his knives so far, he's impressed me with OOTB sharpness and how practical his migaki finish is at hiding scratches and overall kitchen wear.
Those do look really nice but all of the warnings about chipping put me off.
That warning can be taken for any knife with a hard steel and a laser grind. The Ogata isn't going to be any worse than any other knife in that steel. But no, it's not a knife you buy if you're going to be beating up on it, it will be an excellent vegetable slayer though.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:25 am That warning can be taken for any knife with a hard steel and a laser grind. The Ogata isn't going to be any worse than any other knife in that steel. But no, it's not a knife you buy if you're going to be beating up on it, it will be an excellent vegetable slayer though.
So I would use it the same as my Shibata Kashima R-2? Got it! Another one on the shopping list. Thanks Jeff! :)
Sam
DMG92

Post by DMG92 »

ex1580 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:39 am
So I would use it the same as my Shibata Kashima R-2? Got it! Another one on the shopping list. Thanks Jeff! :)
Shibata is usually considered more of a delicate laser than Ogata or say Makoto Kurosaki when comparing their SG2 lines. So if you're experienced and not chipping a Shibata, you absolutely should have no problem with those other two. I've gotten to try all three and so far in my knife journey, I like the Ogata ones the most. Tall, flat profiles and reasonably sharp without being quite as delicate as some of the common lasers. Knives are personal and to taste of course, but that guy's SG2 stuff is right up my alley and pretty dang good performance per dollar if you ask me.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

I have a couple of Shibata's and a Kurosaki & Makoto all with these exquisite edges. I'm surprised at how robust they are for what they are, but they deserve to be respected for what they are.

For me it's similar to top-of-the-line sports cars. You can't buy the latest Ferrari and then drive it at high speed through a farmer's paddock without there being negative outcomes. It's just a horses for courses thing. Approach with due caution :D :) :D
Cheers Grant

Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Sorry about the double post ~ no idea how that happened :? :?
Cheers Grant

XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Radar53 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:18 pm Sorry about the double post ~ no idea how that happened :? :?
Computers, they do what they want, no matter what we tell them to do.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

XexoX wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:52 pm
Radar53 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:18 pm Sorry about the double post ~ no idea how that happened :? :?
Computers, they do what they want, no matter what we tell them to do.
Reminds me of my wife and my dog...
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Abracadabra! There, I disappeared it for you. ;)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.