Sujihiki vs Everything

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Kerneldrop

Sujihiki vs Everything

Post by Kerneldrop »

Is there a performance improvement or benefit to using a Sujikihi for slicing chicken and steak...compared to using a gyuto/bunka/santoku/petty, etc
I don't have one. I've sliced 1,000s of chicken breasts and filets without one -- but maybe I'm missing out on something spectacular.

I could maybe get behind a Yanagiba...I don't mind single-bevel sharpening, but they jump up in price.

These are in my price range: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/koaosu27su.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tahavgdahe30.html
jmcnelly85

Re: Sujihiki vs Everything

Post by jmcnelly85 »

If completing your cut with one fluid slice is important the added length and decreased height helps; however, on something like a chicken breast doesn’t matter as much. Bigger roasts and whole sides of fish will start to show the suji’s value. You won’t see the benefit of a suji cutting a ribeye steak, but you will see it steaking a rib roast.

If really thin slices matter to you go with the yanagiba.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Yes to the above, for many tasks there may not be much of a noticeable difference. For me on roast, ham, even carving turkey and cheese, I prefer my slicers to be convexed in the lower third, this pushes the meat away from the blade and causes nice separation. My thinner slicers I uses to filet fish, so I prefer less height because is reduces drag.

Realistically, I certainly can do all tasks a slicer can do with my chef knife, but you can never have too many reasons to buy a knife.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I find that a 210mm petty to be the most efficient knife for slicing things like chicken breasts and smaller loins. For larger cuts of meat I pull out the bigger sujis.
Much prefer using long petties and sujis for slicing than gyutos.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

Less height equals less drag. My custom Gyuto may be the sharpest thing in the kitchen, but I prefer the Cuisinart meat carving knife for butterflying chicken breasts because the narrow blade is much easier to control than my 2 in. tall Gyuto is in the cut. My requirements aren't very demanding, so finding an excuse to get a high end slicing knife has not been successful. I'll probably end up with some $50 slicing knife at some point in all likelihood, but it really just needs a narrow blade and that's about it for me.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Jeff B wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:33 pm I find that a 210mm petty to be the most efficient knife for slicing things like chicken breasts and smaller loins....
I see there's quite a few 210mm Yanagiba for under $200.
At least the Yanagiba is something different than what I already have. Same with a long petty or short Suki.

I'm liking the 210mm idea for what I cook.
Normally my mindset is you can always use less blade if you want, but you can never use more than what you have.... but the 210mm can blend in and is more ideal for the chicken breast and steak that I would slice.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:10 am If completing your cut with one fluid slice is important the added length and decreased height helps; however, on something like a chicken breast doesn’t matter as much. Bigger roasts and whole sides of fish will start to show the suji’s value. You won’t see the benefit of a suji cutting a ribeye steak, but you will see it steaking a rib roast.

If really thin slices matter to you go with the yanagiba.
I'll play around with what I have and see if it's worth adding a slicer to my arsenal.
Never say never, but chicken breast and filet mignon is about all I would slice.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Kekoa wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:46 pm I'll probably end up with some $50 slicing knife at some point in all likelihood, but it really just needs a narrow blade and that's about it for me.
The other day I machined sharpened this single-side scalloped edge slicer...turned out nice. The BBQ guy was able to thinly slice thick bark smoked brisket..he was happy. I guess since then I've been thinking about a slicer of some sort.

Qapla'

Post by Qapla' »

Are you righty?

If yes, what do you think of these?
Kanehide PS:
270mm version: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kapssu27.html
240mm version: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kapssu24.html

I'm guessing something like a Yoshihiro High-Speed 240mm sujihiki might be over budget for you?
https://www.echefknife.com/collections/ ... 2471335099
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

I'm going to try these until I figure out what length I like for what I'd use it for...
The Cutco is 9" and the Rada is 180mm.
I like that 240mm Kanehide.