Welcome To Chefknivestogo Forums! Introduce Yourself!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
billk1002

Re: Welcome To Chefknivestogo Forums! Introduce Yourself!

Post by billk1002 »

weeeeeeum wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:22 pm I suppose this is a little late considering this is right after my first post but I collect old knives. I buy some tired knives off of ebay and spend a lot of my free time restoring them. It's a very proud feeling to use a tool you have bought back from the trash and to treat it with dignity it deserves. Its feels like karma to an extent. This way I have also gotten some extremely high quality knives for cheap and I am in love with them. I also make new handles myself, again out of pride.

Overall it's been a wild ride an a ton of fun. I also restore Japanese wood working tools and have been fooling around that too. Also huge stone hoarder.
Welcome aboard, I dabble in making my own handles, any pictures?
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

weeeeeeum wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:22 pm I suppose this is a little late considering this is right after my first post but I collect old knives. I buy some tired knives off of ebay and spend a lot of my free time restoring them. It's a very proud feeling to use a tool you have bought back from the trash and to treat it with dignity it deserves. Its feels like karma to an extent. This way I have also gotten some extremely high quality knives for cheap and I am in love with them. I also make new handles myself, again out of pride.

Overall it's been a wild ride an a ton of fun. I also restore Japanese wood working tools and have been fooling around that too. Also huge stone hoarder.
Welcome! We'll look forward to photos of some of your knife restorations.
Ricardo
weeeeeeum

Post by weeeeeeum »

This was my first restoration and its never going to be complete lol. At first It was as simple as derusting, sharpening and rehandling but as I have continued to improve my cooking, knife skills and got sucked further into the knife world I have continued to change and modify it over time. It was only later that I decided to flatten and thin the sides, as well beveling the tip to make partial cuts easier (like dicing onion).

There is also a picture of the handle I made for the nakiri and the handle for the yanagiba. Even though I have way more tools and skills I have not made any more knife handles for a long time. I have moved and I am still trying to set up my workshop. I've been doing some wood working on saw horses but no proper bench yet which I am hoping to change soon. Oh and a funny tid bit is that the copper accent on the yanagiba handle is from a computer heatsink as I have an extensive computer backround.

amh228

Post by amh228 »

Hello! My name is Ahmed - not nearly a home cook (though I try) and fascinated with Japanese knives. Have a few in my collection that I am looking to downsize. Also looking to learn here from everyone else. Thank you!
Derek_66

Post by Derek_66 »

New guy in Kalamazoo, MI.

Interested in straight razors, hunting knives, sharpening everything - including hunting broadheads. I also make custom bamboo flyrods and have to sharpen block plane irons. Lots of sharpening!!! I'm a foodie and like to cook - especially the wild game I hunt and fish for.

I'm not much of a social media guy and I prefer forums/forum format for my information. I'm also a retired chemist, so I don't mind diving into the science and I especially like theories and ideas backed with some kind of experimentation.

Looking forward to learning more about the craft!

Derek
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Welcome to the forum Derek!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Welcome Mr. Derek.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Welcome, Derek! Great to have you on board. :)
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

amh228 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:09 pm Hello! My name is Ahmed - not nearly a home cook (though I try) and fascinated with Japanese knives. Have a few in my collection that I am looking to downsize. Also looking to learn here from everyone else. Thank you!
Welcome, Ahmed.
Ricardo
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

Derek_66 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:20 am New guy in Kalamazoo, MI.

Interested in straight razors, hunting knives, sharpening everything - including hunting broadheads. I also make custom bamboo flyrods and have to sharpen block plane irons. Lots of sharpening!!! I'm a foodie and like to cook - especially the wild game I hunt and fish for.

I'm not much of a social media guy and I prefer forums/forum format for my information. I'm also a retired chemist, so I don't mind diving into the science and I especially like theories and ideas backed with some kind of experimentation.

Looking forward to learning more about the craft!

Derek
Welcome, Derek.
Ricardo
Logpog

Post by Logpog »

Hi all! Im Logan. Here from another forum. Not reddit. I like the idea of having multiple places to peruse and read about knives.
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

Welcome. Logan.
Ricardo
Micurn

Post by Micurn »

Hi,
My name is Sabrina. I am a home cook . I just started using Japanese knives during Covid, when I stayed home and cooked a lot. I owned 3 knives, a Vg10 Santoku & a Sg2 bunka and a SLD petty . I am thinking of getting another SG2.
trancher

Post by trancher »

Micurn wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:38 pm Hi,
My name is Sabrina. I am a home cook . I just started using Japanese knives during Covid, when I stayed home and cooked a lot. I owned 3 knives, a Vg10 Santoku & a Sg2 bunka and a SLD petty . I am thinking of getting another SG2.
Hey, Sabrina! Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like you have 3 nice knives in the under 200mm club? If you're looking to add a fourth, I would recommend trying a gyuto. ;)
Micurn

Post by Micurn »

I like shorter length knives. The gyuto is too long for me to master. I am thinking about getting a nakiri. Some says it is as good as gyuto for cutting meat. Any advice on nakiri ?
trancher

Post by trancher »

Micurn wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:02 pm I like shorter length knives. The gyuto is too long for me to master. I am thinking about getting a nakiri. Some says it is as good as gyuto for cutting meat. Any advice on nakiri ?
I don't own one myself. I have a large CCK cleaver slicer that I use, though. A good number of people here like to use nakiris, I can think of one member in particular that loves them! If you're looking for some suggestions, you can fill out this easy questionaire here and post your answers under the "Knife Recommendations" thread. 8-)
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

Micurn wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:02 pm I like shorter length knives. The gyuto is too long for me to master. I am thinking about getting a nakiri. Some says it is as good as gyuto for cutting meat. Any advice on nakiri ?
I have some gyuto and a couple of nakiri. For meat of medium size, the 240 gyuto is much more versatile. It works much better in a pull cut than the shorter nakiri. For big meat, a long (300mm and up) sujihiki is my usual choice. This is from someone who cooks for one.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

Micurn wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:38 pm Hi,
Sabrina, welcome to the forum.
Ricardo
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

A nakiri is not optimal for slicing meat due to its short length and blade profile. However, it will work on smaller cuts of meat. My wife uses a nakiri because she prefers smaller knives. Last night we had soft chicken tacos. She used the nakiri to cut the tomato, onion and cilantro for the pico de gallo. When the chicken breast came off the grill, she already had the nakiri out and used it to dice the chicken.

You already have a santoku and a bunka. I assume those are likely 165-170mm long. Either one of those will be better than the nakiri for slicing meat. You could look at a 180mm gyuto, but it would not give you much added length over the santoku and bunka you already have. I suggest a 210mm gyuto, which will not be a large jump in length from the santoku and bunka you already have.
Ricardo
Micurn

Post by Micurn »

Thanks for the advice
I end up getting another SG2 santoku. I do not like the feel of my VG10 santoku. It does not give me a smoother cut as my SG2 bunka. I am looking forward to my new knife.