What is Good Cutting Technique?

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
desol

Re: What is Good Cutting Technique?

Post by desol » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:02 pm

I always though this fellow had very good control.

appleward91

Post by appleward91 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:18 am

wow, i couldn't have asked for a better write up. Had these questions myself

CraigC

Post by CraigC » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:56 pm

After reading this, I noticed that I have a bad habit of twisting the blade slightly after I have reached the cutting board. I have some adjustments to make in my cutting habits!
Stay sharp.

Paul282

Post by Paul282 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:24 pm

Does anyone have advice for technique with your off/claw hand? Keep your finger tips curled and out of harm's way of course but what about the finer details?

Initially, I thought why in God's name would someone want to put their non cutting hand so close to the blade? Over time, I've found the separation of my hands to be the scarier situation. I'm more comfortable with my knuckles against the knife so I know where everything is. However... I do sometimes feel concerned I am going to smoothly slice my skin from the bone by raising the knife slightly above my knuckles by accident.

Should I be guiding the knife with my first or second knuckle? Is there a guideline for "when" you move your offhand? Anything else I'm missing? Up until recently I was moving my off hand early in the cutting stroke so I had to bring the knife back up after cutting and also move the knife horizontally to return contact with my off hand. Lately I've been waiting to move my offhand until the knife is back in it's starting position. Essentially the off hand never losing contact with the blade/always moving them very much together.

I'm a home cook so I dont get nearly the amount of reps in as someone in the food industry but I am trying to improve. I employ all cuts described in this great thread. I'd probably describe my knife skills as fair compared to the level of this forum audience. I focus on technique but also try to push my cutting speed maybe a little too close to the edge of reckless in an attempt to improve every time I cook. Any thoughts are appreciated.

lsboogy

Post by lsboogy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:35 pm

I think which knuckle I use depends on the product. For taller ingredients I find myself using just my middle finger knuckle and using the other fingers to move the hand over the product (kind of like a spider crossing stuff- use finger tips to control where things are) but cutting shorter stuff (green onions etc) I use my index finger knuckle and use my fingernails to hold stuff down. Just personal preference, but I learned that stuff 50 years ago from my mom and watching Julia Child.