When will you be getting x knife back in stock?

Tarak83

Re: When will you be getting x knife back in stock?

Post by Tarak83 »

Are Anryu's "gone" now with his retirement, or will his successor produce under the same name/line?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Tarak83 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:50 pm Are Anryu's "gone" now with his retirement, or will his successor produce under the same name/line?
Takumi Ikeda, the nephew of Katsushige Anryu, now makes the knives under the Anryu name. It is said though that Anryu-san has not fully retired and still oversees, mentors, and inspects Ikeda-san’s work now and then. He also helps with the knives at times with things like straightening, grinding, and finishing. Many have said Ikeda-san's and Anryu-san's quality and work are very similar and hard to tell apart.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:26 pm
Tarak83 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:50 pm Are Anryu's "gone" now with his retirement, or will his successor produce under the same name/line?
Takumi Ikeda, the nephew of Katsushige Anryu, now makes the knives under the Anryu name. It is said though that Anryu-san has not fully retired and still oversees, mentors, and inspects Ikeda-san’s work now and then. He also helps with the knives at times with things like straightening, grinding, and finishing. Many have said Ikeda-san's and Anryu-san's quality and work are very similar and hard to tell apart.
I’ve used both and I’m very pleased with Ikeda-san’s. His B2 hammered is one of my most enjoyed gyuto.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Robstreperous wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:53 pm
Jeff B wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:26 pm
I’ve used both and I’m very pleased with Ikeda-san’s. His B2 hammered is one of my most enjoyed gyuto.
I have the Anyru B2 Hammered 150mm petty and 210mm gyuto, by Ikeda-san, and love them both
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

I have an anryu or two from a little while back. Out of curiosity, how can you tell them apart?
7x57mm@gmail.com

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

@STPepper9, I purchased an Anryu B#2 Hammered 210mm gyuto in Jan '21 and the 150mm petty in June of '22. Mark said both knives were made by Ikeda. The gyuto has a different kanji than the petty. I can send you pics if you would like.
komarov

Post by komarov »

I remember ages ago there was a small selection of 'kamisori' straight razors on the site. Too little demand for these to ever make a comeback?
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I don't think they sold quickly. Most people don't use straight razors anymore. I tried it and switched to a DE razor and now am back to an electric razor. Just faster and more convenient.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

I use a DE and Japanese Feather blades...those feathers are nice.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Kerneldrop wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:28 am I use a DE and Japanese Feather blades...those feathers are nice.
---
Which DE?
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

gladius wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:51 am Which DE?
I've acquired a few over the last 20 years...I mostly use an adjustable Gillette that my grandfather had.
My wife will now only use Feather blades and she has a Merkur model.

The only difference I have found in them is the angle I need to hold.
But I'm easy... some find shaving a pleasurable experience..I just shave to cut hair.

But feather blades take it to a whole other level. Some don't like them b\c they are "too sharp"...whatever that means.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I used to use a Merkur 37c slant with Gilette Super Black Platinum blades. Very close, very smooth shave with no irritation.

Some blades feel different on peoples skin. Feather blades left me with a red face and were too abrasive feeling and aggressive. I have wiry facial hair, but senstive skin. Some shaving soaps cause my skin to feel like is burning. Even when I was playing with straight razors and varius sub micron polishing emulsions, the edge from diamond emulsions/spraysfelt very harsh and irritating on my skin. 1 micron CrOx felt much better.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

taz575 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:29 pm Some blades feel different on peoples skin....
I bought a large assortment of blades when Straight Razor Designs was around....Some of them I just couldn't use because it would hurt.
But I shave once a week. I would have to toughen up to shave more than that -- or maybe the Feathers really aren't good. lol
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Oh, I used to order from SRD a lot! Shame they arent around anymore.

Yeah, I had razor variety packs and it was fun and painful trying then out! I had one blade that felt good in use and then my whole face was razor burned for hours afterwards. I shaved daily, so it was a bit different!