Getting Started -Video

Moderator: Peter Nowlan

Peter Nowlan

Getting Started -Video

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Over the last few weeks I've had some emails from people all over the place, latest one from a Chef in Ecuador. The questions have a pattern, what stones to buy, what grits?

In my previous videos, and you know how much I love listening to myself, I think I just assumed that people knew a lot of things. In fact, that is wrong of me, I was a complete newbie when I started, had no idea other than just to try and copy what I saw my dad do. This was before the age of computers, I don't think the Burr had even been invented yet.

Anyway, the video is on my Blog and it's for newcomers to the world of knife sharpening, I am sure that every day there are people just getting started.

Peter
Jeff B

Re: Getting Started -Video

Post by Jeff B »

You are so good at laying down a good foundation Peter so that the average Joe has a chance at success. It's really good of you to help guide that person wanting to give sharpening a shot. I remember when I first decided to learn to sharpen and didn't have a clue where to start. Some of the seasoned members of this forum were a big help with an inexpensive but quality way to get started and with direction to videos to give me an idea and confidence of were to start. Videos like yours are invaluable to a newbe!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Thanks Jeff. I find it easy to talk about it to be honest, I picture myself as I was those many years ago with a thirst for knowledge. I know there are some really great sharpeners out there making excellent videos but it's something I enjoy and again, it is often emails that generate the thought process behind what I do.
Peter
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

Thanks for the videos Peter. I'm a sharpening rookie, and I've enjoyed a couple of your starter vids tonight with a glass of wine. Our two. And a beer.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Gregory I'd be disappointed if you didn't watch the videos without at least one glass of wine. There isn't anything much better. Sometimes if I've had a difficult sharpening session I'll have a scotch.
Knifeplanet has asked me to start a new series of videos on sharpening with accompanying articles. They'll go from starting fresh up to sharpening using 4 levels of pressure, thinning etc. Thanks for watching. Cheers
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

Peter Nowlan wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:58 am Sometimes if I've had a difficult sharpening session I'll have a scotch.
I'm trying to decide if it's comforting or terrifying that a seasoned sharpener such as yourself will have difficult sessions.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Oh. Now when I say difficult sharpening session it could be that I ran out of water too fast and had to refill the bottle or I had to wash my microfibre towels :)

Remember Gregory that I sharpen other people's knives and they often generate certain challenges. It's not the actual sharpening but chip repair, broken tips, handles separating, scratches, thinning. Not difficult really just more to think about. When you sharpen your own knives only you develop a connection with them and surprises are very infrequent, you know what to expect.

I think it's fantastic that people sharpen their own knives. I only know a couple of people who do it.
CharlesTeemy

Getting Started Video

Post by CharlesTeemy »

My name is Jeff Southern and Im currently gathering as much input as possible to get my business off the ground before next spring. Im a virgin to the business other than what i do as side jobs with my Troy Built 3000 PW.

Im looking for any and all advise in getting started on the right foot in this industry.

thanks in advance.

Jeff Southern
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Hi there.
Before I opened my sharpening business I made sure I could sharpen. This seems obvious but I mean really be confident in my skills. This is a business that grows by word of mouth only so it can either grow at a nice pace or die very quickly.
1. Gather the skills
2. Have a business card
3. Register the business ( credibility)
4. Go to store that sells kitchen wares including knives and talk to the manager, offer him/her a demonstration of your work and see if the stvan become a drop off spot for knives. (Unless you’re opening a sharpening store)
5. Sharpen as many knives as you can and just be patient

Dropping off a business card at a restaurant never worked for me, I did it for the first year but I never got one bite. All my business came via word of mouth. Everything is built upon a strong foundation: I can sharpen knives decently.

Peter
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

I love this video, it’s great as a teaching tool. Maybe what I like the most is the missing hair on the left forearm, you know your dealing with a sharpening nut when they are missing arm hair. Sorry, I had to mention it.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
old onion

Post by old onion »

This is the video that got me started. Thanks Peter.