2018 Handles

Moderator: Bensbites

Bensbites
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by Bensbites » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:10 am

This Richmond Ultimatum was profiled after the KS. After this blade was reground, a step beyond thinning, by @makeitsharper, I prefer it to a KS -GASP. This blade is mated to a custom designed handle made from redwood lace, bog oak, and box elder. Pictures don’t do this Justice!


Bensbites
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by Bensbites » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:27 pm

Another handle, another happy customer. This gentleman now has five of my handles, I told him I need a family portrait when he chooses the blade. Zebrawood, Ebony, and Indian rosewood all work well together!


Bensbites
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by Bensbites » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:28 am



This is one of my newer one piece olivewood handles on a Artifex 52100 210 mm gyuto after @cjmeik did the wa conversation and reground the blade.

Bensbites
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by Bensbites » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:31 pm


Bensbites
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by Bensbites » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:31 am


Bensbites
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by Bensbites » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:06 am



SIMPLE ELEGANCE! This tojiro petty has a new Blackwood handle.

User avatar
Jeff B
Posts: 10482
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by Jeff B » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:20 am

You do a great job Ben. It's been fun watching you progress with your handle making!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

Bensbites
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by Bensbites » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:29 am

Jeff B wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:20 am
You do a great job Ben. It's been fun watching you progress with your handle making!
Thank you Jeff! I wish I was there today to meet everyone!

User avatar
Altadan
Posts: 555
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:15 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by Altadan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:48 am

Wow, Ben, these uniform or unibody, or whatever they should be called.. they are really something special! Love it

User avatar
Jeff B
Posts: 10482
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by Jeff B » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:13 pm

Bensbites wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:29 am
Jeff B wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:20 am
You do a great job Ben. It's been fun watching you progress with your handle making!
Thank you Jeff! I wish I was there today to meet everyone!
I and many others were disappointed you couldn't make it. We were really looking forward to meeting you and seeing some of your work in person. You were a part of several conversations, you are building quite a reputation. ;)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

Bensbites
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by Bensbites » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:15 pm

Altadan wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:48 am
Wow, Ben, these uniform or unibody, or whatever they should be called.. they are really something special! Love it
Thank you, they really let the natural beauty of the wood shine!

Bensbites
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by Bensbites » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:18 pm

Jeff B wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:13 pm
Bensbites wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:29 am
Jeff B wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:20 am
You do a great job Ben. It's been fun watching you progress with your handle making!
Thank you Jeff! I wish I was there today to meet everyone!
I and many others were disappointed you couldn't make it. We were really looking forward to meeting you and seeing some of your work in person. You were a part of several conversations, you are building quite a reputation. ;)
Thank you!

I know Garrick brought one of my handles. I don’t know if anyone else did. One of my favorite repeat customers emailed me saying he felt the same way you did.

I will say, I have been much busier the last six months, thanks mostly to forum members and Instagram clients.

One of these days...until then, I am always around by email.

Thank you,

Ben

Bensbites
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by Bensbites » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:13 pm

Shiraki Hankotu with a greybox burl body, maple spacers, and bogoak ferrule/endcaps. Wow what a stunner. This is the first of four great looking knives that returned to a customer today. The handle may look large on this knife, but it is smaller than the original, and sized to the clients preference. I was told it felt natural in the hand.


User avatar
Jeff B
Posts: 10482
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by Jeff B » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:39 pm

Primetime work Ben, you are definitely running with the big dogs now! 8-)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

Bensbites
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by Bensbites » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:18 am

Jeff B wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:39 pm
Primetime work Ben, you are definitely running with the big dogs now! 8-)
Thank you.

Bensbites
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by Bensbites » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:00 am

Toyama 270 with ironwood burl and a special combination of bog oak / maple spacers.


User avatar
lsboogy
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:23 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by lsboogy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:15 pm

OMG is that handle cool.

Bensbites
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by Bensbites » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:38 pm

lsboogy wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:15 pm
OMG is that handle cool.
Thank you. I wish I could take all the credit, but I have excellent clients with excellent ideas.

User avatar
lsboogy
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:23 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by lsboogy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:53 pm

Hint hint

Bensbites
Posts: 1660
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: 2018 Handles

Post by Bensbites » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:32 pm

lsboogy wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:53 pm
Hint hint

Do you like the general layout, or the ironwood burl specifically? I am willing to bet the owner could be convinced to part with enough wood to make a handle or two.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests