Useful Edge Pro Accessories

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
BillyJack

Re: Useful Edge Pro Accessories

Post by BillyJack » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:56 pm

These diamond stones are not like your typical diamond stones. The diamond is impregnated in type of matrix. The stones feel smooth, not rough. It's hard to describe. The edge I get is a very high polish. I cannot see any of the scratches. Have you seen or heard of the two new polishing stones EP is making...the 2300 and 4000? Those are diamonds, but they polish very well.

Radar53

Post by Radar53 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:37 pm

OK Billy, it seems I might have got a bit confused here. I read your last post as you saying that you had got some low grit diamond stones and my following comment relates to that maybe incorrect assumption on my part. I apologise if that is so, as I don't want to confuse the issue.

I am not familiar with the latest EP diamond stones, but if I am reading you correctly we are talking about pretty fine grit ratings. I have a full range of 3M diamond tapes from JIS 120 grit through to 150,000 grit, and the 3M diamonds leave very nice scratch patterns. I think as a generalisation some diamonds leave nicer patterns than others - the Atoma plates seem to leave deeper scratches grit to grit than the equivalent 3M grits.

I also think that diamonds regardless, leave deeper scratches than the equivalent synthetic stone. For example my EP1200 (5k JIS grit), leaves a finer finish than my Nubatama 5k (which has a bit of tooth) and my 5k diamond tapes have slightly more tooth again. Just my experience here. I prefer to use ordinary stones 90+% of the time & only use diamonds for heavy lifting (140 grit or below) and on really hard, heavily alloyed super steels. Others use diamonds more freely

So for example after using my Atoma 140 diamond plate, I always follow that with my Nubatama150 just to get a more even scratch pattern, but with the 3M tapes at 5k, the difference is less & I don't bother unless I'm looking for a mirror finish.

I'm no expert on the differences in diamonds or the ongoing comparisons as the grit number rises to other diamond options or synthetics, so the above is just my observations so far. Thus take them with a grain of salt.

Hopefully someone with more in depth experience can chime in here Ken123 especially.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!

BillyJack

Post by BillyJack » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:59 am

Yeah sorry....I was referring to leveling the stones. I am looking to purchase the Atoma 140 and 400 for leveling the stock EP stones. I do not have any diamond stones for sharpening, other then the new EP stones. I do want to purchase the 220 SG stone and maybe the 500. I might buy all them, all the way up to 16k. Thanks for the insight Radar.

Radar53

Post by Radar53 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:32 pm

No probs at all. Just a couple more comments. The SG500 is just a fantastic stone, however I didn't gel with the SG220 initially. It felt gritty & coarse to use, didn't seem to cut as hard as I would have expected so I used to just use my Nub150, finish that with very, very light pressure (gives a much finer scratch pattern) and then jump to my SG500. Someone here suggested that maybe the first 0.5mm of the surface was somehow compromised during the production or finishing of the stone and that I should give it a good flattening. I have done this and it has certainly improved the stone's performance, but I have to say it's still not a stone that I enjoy using.

Shapton Glass are one-and-done stones and I love them, for getting stuff done - no fuss - no drama. But it's like watching black & white TV, rather than colour. Other stones leave different finishes, feel different, have different feedback, respond differently to pressure etc, and for me I like to explore that to just expand and develop my experience. So if you're one-and-done the by all means go SG all out, but if sharpening is more than just a means to an end, then maybe consider trying one or two of the other very good stones. Not trying to preach at all, just something to think about YMMV
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!