Knives and watches

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
snipes

Re: Knives and watches

Post by snipes »

Kalaeb wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:12 pm Mcdowell time Del Ray, Choice Cuts strap, Alex Horn/Muteki integral chef.
Interesting watch there Kalaeb, I had to look it up. Looks like quite a bit of watch for the $$. A couple questions, how does the 44mm case wear on your wrist? Also, am I understanding the movement correctly in that there is no battery? Automatic charging a capacitor?? Pretty cool.
snipes

Post by snipes »

Runner_up wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:42 pm Tanaka blue Gyutos and Rolex GMT-Master reference 16753.

Very nice combo.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Runner_up wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:42 pm Tanaka blue Gyutos and Rolex GMT-Master reference 16753.

Wow. The colors on the Rolex make me like a combination a usually avoid! I also think it adds a certain richness to the Konosuke ebony in that context. A nice pairing that is improved further by the choice of background: you leave the steel "neutral" while bringing out the warmth of the foreground elements. Cool.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

snipes wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:02 pm
Kalaeb wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:12 pm Mcdowell time Del Ray, Choice Cuts strap, Alex Horn/Muteki integral chef.
Interesting watch there Kalaeb, I had to look it up. Looks like quite a bit of watch for the $$. A couple questions, how does the 44mm case wear on your wrist? Also, am I understanding the movement correctly in that there is no battery? Automatic charging a capacitor?? Pretty cool.
Honestly, had you not said anything I would not have thought it clocked in at 44mm. I purchased it at a knife show here in DC and did not know all the specs. When I hold a ruler to it, it looks like 42mm to me. That being said, I have a small 6.75 inch wrist and it wears well. I have never felt it was over sized. It is a meca-quarts movement...I have noticed a few micro brand makers using it. I believe the movement is not as pricey as some of the Swiss or Japanese full mechanical movements so it gives a smaller maker an opportunity to get into the field at a lower price point.

The capacitor is charged by a mechanical movement. The balance wheel is fully visible through the exhibition case back. It keeps time more accurately than some of the mechanical movements, but it does not have a sweeping second hand. The second hand is 1/5 like most other quartz movement (although there is not an audible tick). I am not sure how long the capacitor will last. It seems to keep a charge for at least a week when not in use.
dowlf

Post by dowlf »

Two of my daily drivers:
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

dowlf wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:55 am Two of my daily drivers:
Had that Squale Maxi at one time. Great watch and knife!
Corradobrit

Post by Corradobrit »

I'm partial to JLC, Bulang&Sons & TF.
Attachments
sectordial.jpg
Geophysic.jpg
inzite

Post by inzite »

Corradobrit wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:41 pm I'm partial to JLC, Bulang&Sons & TF.
lovely!
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Knife-Tanaka ironwood western in R2
Watch- Citizen Eco drive moon phase (not the most expensive, but easily one of my favorites. Love the detail in the dial.)

Bcos17

Post by Bcos17 »

Love the root beer!! I'm really hoping they make this one again in steel with the ceramic bezel. And maybe they start releasing enough of the new Pepsi's for everyone to pay retail instead of 2x.
snipes

Post by snipes »

Kalaeb wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:45 pm Knife-Tanaka ironwood western in R2
Watch- Citizen Eco drive moon phase (not the most expensive, but easily one of my favorites. Love the detail in the dial.)

Very nice Kalaeb. How difficult is it to set all the complications if they get out of phase :) ?
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

snipes wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:01 am
Very nice Kalaeb. How difficult is it to set all the complications if they get out of phase :) ?
[/quote]

I will have to check and see how far out of alignment it is on the next full moon, it's no harder to adjust than the date.

I would actually love to get my hands on a moon phase mechanical watch but the thought of having to adjust the moon phase every time it winds down is too daunting for me.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Kalaeb wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:18 am
snipes wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:01 am
I will have to check and see how far out of alignment it is on the next full moon, it's no harder to adjust than the date.

I would actually love to get my hands on a moon phase mechanical watch but the thought of having to adjust the moon phase every time it winds down is too daunting for me.
[/quote]

I have a couple of IWC moon phase watches - love them. Both are automatics - i wore one for a few years and if you don't lets them wind down they keep great moon phase as well as time. If you are going to jump,into a moon phase they are a very good choice (and they are great investments as well - I have an old MXIV spitfire that I think I paid $1100 bucks for 20 years ago).
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I always look at the watches in this thread. :)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

In thinking of matching my own watch/chrnograph/time-piece/whatever to a knife, I realized I couldn't recall ever seeing a Navy-blue handle. Have any of you?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Altadan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:57 pm In thinking of matching my own watch/chrnograph/time-piece/whatever to a knife, I realized I couldn't recall ever seeing a Navy-blue handle. Have any of you?
You could do a blue resin handle no problem. Or some blue micarta.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Altadan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:57 pm In thinking of matching my own watch/chrnograph/time-piece/whatever to a knife, I realized I couldn't recall ever seeing a Navy-blue handle. Have any of you?
Like this? https://www.chefknivestogo.com/suashagy21.html
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:53 am
Like this? https://www.chefknivestogo.com/suashagy21.html
I suppose that's pretty close to navy blue. Sweet handle, Mark ;)
Maybe I was thinking of Western scales... Brown, black, red, and even olive, but I've never seen blue.
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

What are you guys going to pair with those new Konos you just bought?

I love this thread. hahahah
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
salemj

Post by salemj »

I need my watches to catch up with my knives before I post more. Haha.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.