Carbon Skillets

Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.
Forum rules
Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.

Please do not announce deals from competitors on knives and sharpening stones. We reserve the right to delete posts that violate these rules.
old onion

Re: Carbon Skillets

Post by old onion » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:06 am

While cleaning out the basement last week,I trashed some old pans that were the cheap,non stick junk that you would buy at Walmarts but I made one fatal mistake,I tossed out the wife's old Crepe pan.Now she wants a carbon steel crepe pan for the replacement.Can't say as I blame her.I let her skim through the available options and she picked the 9-1/2" Mauviel crepe pan.I wanted to try the DeBuyer since I already have a couple Matfer pans but she shunned at the price and the $18 shipping on top of it.So guess I'll find out what a Muviel is like now. I hope she doesn't miss anything else that I filed in the big green garbage bag.

mauichef

Post by mauichef » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:14 pm

old onion wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:06 am
While cleaning out the basement last week,I trashed some old pans that were the cheap,non stick junk that you would buy at Walmarts but I made one fatal mistake,I tossed out the wife's old Crepe pan.Now she wants a carbon steel crepe pan for the replacement.Can't say as I blame her.I let her skim through the available options and she picked the 9-1/2" Mauviel crepe pan.I wanted to try the DeBuyer since I already have a couple Matfer pans but she shunned at the price and the $18 shipping on top of it.So guess I'll find out what a Muviel is like now. I hope she doesn't miss anything else that I filed in the big green garbage bag.
I wait for my wife to go away before I start clearing stuff out. Last time she left I must have dumped 4 or 5 big sacks of (her) stuff. She is in Florida right now (thus me not in Chicago) so I will be heading to the landfill this week ;)

old onion

Post by old onion » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:13 pm

mauichef wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:14 pm
old onion wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:06 am
I wait for my wife to go away before I start clearing stuff out. Last time she left I must have dumped 4 or 5 big sacks of (her) stuff. She is in Florida right now (thus me not in Chicago) so I will be heading to the landfill this week ;)
I'm telling! :lol:

lsboogy

Post by lsboogy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:39 pm

Just glad my better half is the one to toss things, and she asks me if I'm okay with it. She tossed a very old tier knife I had picked up at a garage sale years ago (pre WWI thing) and when I asked her where it was she just told me. I told her just to tell me when she wants to toss something -

Little crepe pan and a big cast iron lodge did all the duty this weekend - lamb chops, trout,some cod, potatoes, eggs, veg. Only used a stainless pot for doing pasta - love camping - especially on the shores of Lake Superior. Old carbon steel stuff goes in every kitchen - from Michelin 5 star to a campfire and does it with aplomb.