Sous Vide recipes

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Post Reply
arthurfowler
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:33 am
Location: Berkshire UK

Sous Vide recipes

Post by arthurfowler » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:03 am

Hi all

I have just bought a vacuum chamber for home use. I want it mainly for helping freeze fresh fish portions after breaking down whole fish at home.

When I was a chef, I missed the whole sous vide approach. I am going to get myself a circulator to allow me to try some sous vide cooking.

I am really keen on understanding what sous vide recipes/techniques you think work better than the traditional version. I understand consistency is a real benefit of sous vide cooking but I also know that I prefer a properly pan roasted scallop over one cooked sous vide and then blow torched etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best

Gareth

Bensbites
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Sous Vide recipes

Post by Bensbites » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:23 am

I like SV for lean proteins, mainly chicken breast and pork. Some people like to take brisket for a 72 hr bath at 134 F then sear.

As far as recipes, marinate or rub down your food as you normally would.

easilver
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:45 am

Re: Sous Vide recipes

Post by easilver » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:58 am

I find that the sous vide is best for tenderizing red-meat and cooking foods that dry-out if overcooked.

Chicken breast work great, but thighs don't improve much to me.

Thick steaks come out perfectly done and tender as you want. I like tender texture of new york steaks. My son liked ribeye, but I don't think the sous vide renders the fat enough.

Bensbites is right about the Brisket. I have a prime brisket in the sous vide right now for 60hrs at 135F. This one will have an onion gravy for a family dinner, but I've made some juicy and tender BBQ brisket with the sous vide that I love.

Pork shoulder also does very well.

I've had bad luck with over-seasoning in the sous vide since they can overwhelm the meat flavor. I usually do salt and pepper to let the meat flavor shine.

Have fun and post your results.
Ed in L.A.

Bluenoser87
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:33 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Sous Vide recipes

Post by Bluenoser87 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:24 am

+1 on the ribeye. It comes out a little weird. Maybe a super thick one would work better followed by some time on the grill to render the fat properly.

Regular old chicken breasts come out fantastic every time. Can’t screw it up.

I haven’t tried a long cook yet like a tritip or something but that’s next on my list.

User avatar
mauichef
Posts: 2118
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 pm
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Contact:

Re: Sous Vide recipes

Post by mauichef » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:07 pm

Right there with you guys.
I mainly do red meats, pork, sometimes chicken. Never fish!
Thick cut Pork and Steaks are the best I've ever made.
Also love the long slow stuff like briskets.
Only ever use salt and pepper. Leave the seasoning to the end when I flash fry to brown. I never use a torch!

Here is a pretty great Turkey Porchetta that I do often......thanks to J. Kenji!
https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/11/the ... hetta.html

Image
Image
Image

nakneker
Posts: 821
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:37 am
Location: Taylor, Az

Re: Sous Vide recipes

Post by nakneker » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:59 pm

Down load the Joule app. The app is loaded with recipes. It’s also loaded with cook times and temps for most every protein you could imagine, small, large thick, thin, beef, chicken, pork.... whatever. There is a wealth of helpful info even for the seasoned Sous Vide cook.

My partner uses his weekly and of course I had to try one. It’s produced my best steaks and prime rib and it’s sinfully easy to do. I haven’t realy played with chicken or pork, I’m with Ray, fish would be tricky.

The Joule app has my biggest help.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”

arthurfowler
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:33 am
Location: Berkshire UK

Re: Sous Vide recipes

Post by arthurfowler » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:57 pm

Bensbites wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:23 am
I like SV for lean proteins, mainly chicken breast and pork. Some people like to take brisket for a 72 hr bath at 134 F then sear.

As far as recipes, marinate or rub down your food as you normally would.
Thanks Ben, this makes a lot of sense. I can see something like Pork fillet being much better as there is no fat on it.

arthurfowler
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:33 am
Location: Berkshire UK

Re: Sous Vide recipes

Post by arthurfowler » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:58 pm

easilver wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:58 am
I find that the sous vide is best for tenderizing red-meat and cooking foods that dry-out if overcooked.

Chicken breast work great, but thighs don't improve much to me.

Thick steaks come out perfectly done and tender as you want. I like tender texture of new york steaks. My son liked ribeye, but I don't think the sous vide renders the fat enough.

Bensbites is right about the Brisket. I have a prime brisket in the sous vide right now for 60hrs at 135F. This one will have an onion gravy for a family dinner, but I've made some juicy and tender BBQ brisket with the sous vide that I love.

Pork shoulder also does very well.

I've had bad luck with over-seasoning in the sous vide since they can overwhelm the meat flavor. I usually do salt and pepper to let the meat flavor shine.

Have fun and post your results.
Thanks Ed, will do. The brisket sounds great.

arthurfowler
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:33 am
Location: Berkshire UK

Re: Sous Vide recipes

Post by arthurfowler » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:00 pm

Bluenoser87 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:24 am
+1 on the ribeye. It comes out a little weird. Maybe a super thick one would work better followed by some time on the grill to render the fat properly.

Regular old chicken breasts come out fantastic every time. Can’t screw it up.

I haven’t tried a long cook yet like a tritip or something but that’s next on my list.
Thanks Bluenoser.

arthurfowler
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:33 am
Location: Berkshire UK

Re: Sous Vide recipes

Post by arthurfowler » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:01 pm

mauichef wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:07 pm
Right there with you guys.
I mainly do red meats, pork, sometimes chicken. Never fish!
Thick cut Pork and Steaks are the best I've ever made.
Also love the long slow stuff like briskets.
Only ever use salt and pepper. Leave the seasoning to the end when I flash fry to brown. I never use a torch!

Here is a pretty great Turkey Porchetta that I do often......thanks to J. Kenji!
https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/11/the ... hetta.html

Image
Image
Image
Thanks Ray, will definitely give the Turkey Porchetta a go.

Bensbites
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Sous Vide recipes

Post by Bensbites » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:05 pm

arthurfowler wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:57 pm
Bensbites wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:23 am
I like SV for lean proteins, mainly chicken breast and pork. Some people like to take brisket for a 72 hr bath at 134 F then sear.

As far as recipes, marinate or rub down your food as you normally would.
Thanks Ben, this makes a lot of sense. I can see something like Pork fillet being much better as there is no fat on it.
I think you are referring to connective tissue not fat, right?

arthurfowler
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:33 am
Location: Berkshire UK

Re: Sous Vide recipes

Post by arthurfowler » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:06 pm

nakneker wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:59 pm
Down load the Joule app. The app is loaded with recipes. It’s also loaded with cook times and temps for most every protein you could imagine, small, large thick, thin, beef, chicken, pork.... whatever. There is a wealth of helpful info even for the seasoned Sous Vide cook.

My partner uses his weekly and of course I had to try one. It’s produced my best steaks and prime rib and it’s sinfully easy to do. I haven’t realy played with chicken or pork, I’m with Ray, fish would be tricky.

The Joule app has my biggest help.
Thanks Sean, I will download the app.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests