Questions for santoku users...

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Qapla'

Questions for santoku users...

Post by Qapla' » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:00 pm

Hi all,

Got a couple of questions for any santoku users here.
- What are the main uses for a 165mm santoku knife? (I'd assume that the 180mm's would be essentially alternatives for 180mm gyutos.)
- What are the main advantages/disadvantages between a santoku knife vis-a-vis bunka knife?

Thanks all.

cooknola

Re: Questions for santoku users...

Post by cooknola » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:37 pm

A previous thread that isn’t meant to go against what you’re asking. Just has a lot of us discussing santoku in general.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156&hilit=Santoku

Now for what it’s worth, I am a massive bunka fan because I find them to be useful on a line and at home. Yes some people say they’re santoku’s with a tip. But that inherently changes the entire profile so i agree to disagree.
-C-

Bob Z

Post by Bob Z » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:51 pm

I'm just a novice here and as a home cook (for 2 usually) I have two 165 Santoku, 2 180 gyuto and 2 bunka's. The shorter 165 santoku are ok for most stuff and liked by users wanting the smallest knife possible for the job. You prolly know a few people like this (like my wife and mom)...But when you get a large head of lettuce or cabbage you want to get something longer like that 180.

The big difference is the gyuto and the bunka's will have a steeper tip which can be advantageous (in my opinion) in dicing onions etc where a fine tip is handier. Otherwise its just a matter of preference. The Takamura below does just as well with onions or anything as most of my other knives because its just a thin well made knife.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tachsa17wtbo.html

I feel a bunka is more of a marriage of a nakiri and a gyuto with its pronounced tip, good at chopping veggies and other tasks.

In the end I think most gyuto or bunka might offer more flexibility than a santoku might due to the tip but thats just my two cents.

lsboogy

Post by lsboogy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:08 pm

I have a couple of santoku (well, more than a couple) and rarely use them any more, but my better half uses one as her basic "longer" knife. If you want a push cutter, they are great for small to mid-sized cuts, but a 270 gyuto with a flat belly will do the same and allow bigger product (head of cabbage etc). For onions, a thin nakiri or santoku is fine. I used a gyuto this weekend for everything I did, and Jen had a Bunka and a paring knife.

Just find a knife that suits you, learn to use it, and try another knife with different profile. There is no "one knife to rule them all", but rather finding a knife that does what you think it should. Many of us up here have a large number of knives, some more than 100, and some of us use many knives on a daily basis. It's a personal thing, find knives that fit you for profile, steel, grind, weight etc and have fun. Cooking is primal, no absolutes. You might like entirely different things than me but they are both the perfect thing for each of us. If you want to use a 90mm paring knife to slice flank steak, do it (Jen has - and its luscious) - find out what works for you and go with it.