Takamura R2 Gyuto 210 mm

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
kwakster

Takamura R2 Gyuto 210 mm

Post by kwakster » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:08 am

Right hand Takamura R2 Gyuto 210 mm from a local Chef, who got it as a birthday present from his wife.
The knife has already been used for two months in the commercial kitchen and it was time for it's first resharpening, which i did yesterday on a Paper Wheel with 15 micron diamond compound and then deburred on a second Paper Wheel with 0.25 micron diamond compound.
The idea was to make an edge that would do both slicing & pushcutting well, and also to remove as little steel as possible from the fine and thin R2/SG2 blade @ 63-64 HRC.
The new edge measures +/- 20 degrees inclusive and can whittle a chest hair from root-to-tip at about 4 centimeters from the point of holding, and after a few test cuts into a old piece of beechwood cutting board.

I took these pics with an old Ipad and actually wanted to erase them again as being not good enough until i enlarged the last picture twice.
At first i thought i saw small dirt spots on the new bevel, but those tiny white specks were actually the sliced off peaks of the micro-dot structure on the inside of the flimsy plastic blade protector sleeve.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

kwakster

Re: Takamura R2 Gyuto 210 mm

Post by kwakster » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:09 am

The owner of the Takamura R2 just sent me the link to this clip, in which he uses a grape to test the new edge:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ID9KZW0d9 ... e=youtu.be

Sean-in-AK

Post by Sean-in-AK » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:53 am

What is a paper wheel?

Nice video, the knife looks fabulously sharp.

kwakster

Post by kwakster » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:26 am

A Paper Wheel is a lightweight disc made of industrially compressed paper/cardboard that is used on an ordinary bench grinder.
A standard set consists of a sharpening Wheel which uses a layer of black silicon carbide powder (covered in a layer of wax for cooling your edge during sharpening), plus a deburring/polishing Wheel on which you use a supplied block of white aluminium oxide (this Wheel has slots in it's rim that work like a fan when in use, and thus provide for a continuous stream of cooling air on your edge during the deburring/polishing process.)

Now the word "bench grinder" in combination with sharpening quality knives made me cringe when i first heard of it, but when i bought my first set from the US back in 2009 and started using it i soon found that it actually works very gently when used correctly.
Later i bought several "naked" Wheels to use with various diamond powders & compounds.
Most people use Paper Wheels only on cheap knives for a quick edge, but with some practice they can also be used with good results on better quality knives.
This very long thread on Bladeforums.com in the US will provide lots of reading material if you're interested:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/pap ... ou.578787/
Last edited by kwakster on Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean-in-AK

Post by Sean-in-AK » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:45 am

Thanks for the link. I will have a good read with my morning coffee tomorrow. I really enjoy learning about various tools and techniques.