Top Chef Junior

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
keithmarder
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Top Chef Junior

Post by keithmarder » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:46 pm

I keep forgetting to post this here. But if you want to see a budding chef, my partner's daughter, is on "Top Chef Jr." on Universal Kids Network. It airs Saturdays at 6 ET. Her name is Nikki and she is from NYC.

keithmarder
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by keithmarder » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:29 am

Remibder: The show is on tomorrow at 6 ET. These kids can cook. #RootForNikka and follow @ChefNikkiB on Instagram

timos
Posts: 1171
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:01 pm
Location: oxford, MA
Contact:

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by timos » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:33 am

very cool! Ill try to check it out. I was amazed at the kids on the masterchef junior show, imagine 6 year olds able to make beef wellington! in fact thats what prompted us to start letting our 5 year old cook her own eggs
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--shunryu suzuki
Image
http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
[email protected]

User avatar
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin
Posts: 13624
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:23 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by ChefKnivesToGo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:54 am

What was I doing when I was 6? Trying to ride a bike and collecting baseball cards. Kitchen was off limits. :)

I hope she did well!
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com

Nmiller21k
Posts: 2417
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by Nmiller21k » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:10 am

timos wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:33 am
very cool! Ill try to check it out. I was amazed at the kids on the masterchef junior show, imagine 6 year olds able to make beef wellington! in fact thats what prompted us to start letting our 5 year old cook her own eggs
The kids on master chef junior are heavily coached prior to each episode and given recipes and practice times.
I read a huge article on it.

User avatar
mauichef
Posts: 2243
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 pm
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Contact:

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by mauichef » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:53 am

Nmiller21k wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:10 am
timos wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:33 am
very cool! Ill try to check it out. I was amazed at the kids on the masterchef junior show, imagine 6 year olds able to make beef wellington! in fact thats what prompted us to start letting our 5 year old cook her own eggs
The kids on master chef junior are heavily coached prior to each episode and given recipes and practice times.
I read a huge article on it.
From what I have read that is the case with most of these "reality" shows.
Iron Chef. Chopped. Guy's Grocery games etc......All pre written and staged up the wazoo!
Just look at the different camera angles, voice overs etc. There is no way these are truly "live".
I have worked on several Reality Shows here on Maui and I can tell you that they are anything but real :shock:

I tried doing the Chopped thing many times and in all honesty, for me, it's virtually impossible without much planning and practice!
Not to take away from any of the cooking skills and speed that these contestants exhibit. In most cases they are amazing.

User avatar
Drewski
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:01 am
Location: Manitoba, Canada

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by Drewski » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:06 pm

mauichef wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:53 am
Nmiller21k wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:10 am
timos wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:33 am
very cool! Ill try to check it out. I was amazed at the kids on the masterchef junior show, imagine 6 year olds able to make beef wellington! in fact thats what prompted us to start letting our 5 year old cook her own eggs
The kids on master chef junior are heavily coached prior to each episode and given recipes and practice times.
I read a huge article on it.
From what I have read that is the case with most of these "reality" shows.
Iron Chef. Chopped. Guy's Grocery games etc......All pre written and staged up the wazoo!
Just look at the different camera angles, voice overs etc. There is no way these are truly "live".
I have worked on several Reality Shows here on Maui and I can tell you that they are anything but real :shock:

I tried doing the Chopped thing many times and in all honesty, for me, it's virtually impossible without much planning and practice!
Not to take away from any of the cooking skills and speed that these contestants exhibit. In most cases they are amazing.
Any interesting mystery baskets that you gave yourself?

User avatar
mauichef
Posts: 2243
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 pm
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Contact:

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by mauichef » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:30 pm

Drewski wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:06 pm
mauichef wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:53 am
Nmiller21k wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:10 am


The kids on master chef junior are heavily coached prior to each episode and given recipes and practice times.
I read a huge article on it.
From what I have read that is the case with most of these "reality" shows.
Iron Chef. Chopped. Guy's Grocery games etc......All pre written and staged up the wazoo!
Just look at the different camera angles, voice overs etc. There is no way these are truly "live".
I have worked on several Reality Shows here on Maui and I can tell you that they are anything but real :shock:

I tried doing the Chopped thing many times and in all honesty, for me, it's virtually impossible without much planning and practice!
Not to take away from any of the cooking skills and speed that these contestants exhibit. In most cases they are amazing.
Any interesting mystery baskets that you gave yourself?
Actually my wife gave them to me. If I'd done it then that would have given me a head start.
And thus why for me it was almost impossible to do...at least in time.

Have you ever tried it?
It's very interesting.

I can't imagine having to do it under the pressure of the cameras and all that.
These kids are truly amazing, coached or not!!!!

User avatar
Drewski
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:01 am
Location: Manitoba, Canada

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by Drewski » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:33 pm

mauichef wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:30 pm
Drewski wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:06 pm
mauichef wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:53 am


From what I have read that is the case with most of these "reality" shows.
Iron Chef. Chopped. Guy's Grocery games etc......All pre written and staged up the wazoo!
Just look at the different camera angles, voice overs etc. There is no way these are truly "live".
I have worked on several Reality Shows here on Maui and I can tell you that they are anything but real :shock:

I tried doing the Chopped thing many times and in all honesty, for me, it's virtually impossible without much planning and practice!
Not to take away from any of the cooking skills and speed that these contestants exhibit. In most cases they are amazing.
Any interesting mystery baskets that you gave yourself?
Actually my wife gave them to me. If I'd done it then that would have given me a head start.
And thus why for me it was almost impossible to do...at least in time.

Have you ever tried it?
It's very interesting.

I can't imagine having to do it under the pressure of the cameras and all that.
These kids are truly amazing, coached or not!!!!
I haven't, but I definitely see an evening of doing so in my near future!

keithmarder
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by keithmarder » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:05 am

She advanced again. This kid also won Chopped Junior. She had no knowledge of what was going to be in the baskets. Same with this show, the challenges are all legit. They edit after to tell their story, but they contestants don't know what they will be cooking or what the challenge is. There is some culinary training while they are there.

User avatar
mauichef
Posts: 2243
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 pm
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Contact:

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by mauichef » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:40 am

That is fantastic.
I was not meaning to be disparaging with my comments.
Just something I had heard from various sources.
That makes what they do even more impressive.
Seriously.
Try it one time.
Its a ball buster!
I have always loved Chopped Junior. The kids are amazing and such wonderful personalities.

keithmarder
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by keithmarder » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:48 pm

mauichef wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:40 am
That is fantastic.
I was not meaning to be disparaging with my comments.
Just something I had heard from various sources.
That makes what they do even more impressive.
Seriously.
Try it one time.
Its a ball buster!
I have always loved Chopped Junior. The kids are amazing and such wonderful personalities.
When she won Chopped Junior, one of the prizes was she got to be a judge when Marcus Samuelsson, Amanda Freitag, Alex Guarnaschelli and Mark Murphy were cooking. It was funny to watch. The chefs were competing for a charity, so they had to take it when 10-year-old kids were criticizing the mouth feel of their food.

User avatar
mauichef
Posts: 2243
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 pm
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Contact:

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by mauichef » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:50 pm

I remember that episode!
Damn mate...that is so COOL!!!!!
What an amazing experience.

keithmarder
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by keithmarder » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:12 pm

6 p.m. tonight on Universal Kids. Root for Nikki. And also follow her on Instagram @ChefNikkiB

keithmarder
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by keithmarder » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:24 pm

She advanc ed again and is now in the Top 9. She won the quick fire challenge. Her secret ingredient was Prickly pear and she made a poke bowl and a drink

timos
Posts: 1171
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:01 pm
Location: oxford, MA
Contact:

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by timos » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:30 am

excelelnt! I am gonna have to check it out once its on hulu or netflix
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--shunryu suzuki
Image
http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
[email protected]

keithmarder
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by keithmarder » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:06 pm

timos wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:30 am
excelelnt! I am gonna have to check it out once its on hulu or netflix
I think it's on Amazon

User avatar
Jeff B
Posts: 10485
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by Jeff B » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:36 pm

keithmarder wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:06 pm
timos wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:30 am
excelelnt! I am gonna have to check it out once its on hulu or netflix
I think it's on Amazon
I'm gonna have to look that up. 👍
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

Jason H
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:26 pm

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by Jason H » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:49 pm

This is just wonderful. At that age I thought I was gourmet if I added spam to my top ramen.

keithmarder
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Re: Top Chef Junior

Post by keithmarder » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:46 pm

Tune n tonight at 6. Reggie Bush is the guest judge. Root for Nikki.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests