Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
rayl1234

Re: Upgrade from a bamboo cutting board

Post by rayl1234 »

Thanks for the education on the glue in bamboo. Hi-soft looks interesting. Never heard of it before. They're very reasonably priced -- will ponder as well!
Rusky

Post by Rusky »

datster wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:49 pm
Rusky wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:04 pm I will pass on the teak then

Thoughts on this one?

or

or

I'm trying to not spend $100+ on the board...at least that the goal here
$99.95 and way better than any of that Amazon stuff. 18"x12"x1.5" Maple End Grain. http://jonescuttingboards.com/store/p7/ ... 32000.html
Can I ask what about the amazon ones you don't like?
The 2nd two are maple which a few people here said is good and edge grain, not as good as end grain but seems like a decent medium.
dafox

Post by dafox »

You might look at your local Asian super market, if you have, one for a round end grain slab of tamarind or other wood, mine is 15 inches in diameter and cost $30.
LostHighway

Post by LostHighway »

dafox wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:37 pm You might look at your local Asian super market, if you have, one for a round end grain slab of tamarind or other wood, mine is 15 inches in diameter and cost $30.
I'm just spit balling here, my field, or one of them anyway, is ornamental horticulture. I'm neither a metallurgist or a skilled woodworker. That said, Tamarind (Tamarindus indica), is extremely hard. It has nearly double the Janka hardness rating of Sugar/Hard Maple which many people consider to be at, near, or beyond the optimum hardness for cutting boards depending on who you talk to. Maybe the sapwood is enough softer than the heartwood to make it a viable option but I wouldn't bet the farm on that.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Thoughts on this one?

or

or

These are more than acceptable if you're trying to be conservative right now. I used a similar board for nearly 20 years before ever getting a nice end grain. I still have that edge grain board to this day and still use it on occasion.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Rusky

Post by Rusky »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:37 pm

Thoughts on this one?

or

or

These are more than acceptable if you're trying to be conservative right now. I used a similar board for nearly 20 years before ever getting a nice end grain. I still have that edge grain board to this day and still use it on occasion.
Do you really feel the edge grain cost is justified? Cause if you do and based on how everyone else feels about em...for how much I love being in the kitchen I think it'll be worth while
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Rusky wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:41 pm
Jeff B wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:37 pm

Thoughts on this one?

or

or

Do you really feel the edge grain cost is justified? Cause if you do and based on how everyone else feels about em...for how much I love being in the kitchen I think it'll be worth while
If you're on a budget, yes. They are decent quality and similar end grain boards will cost you ~$200 dollars and up depending on maker and wood choice. Edge grain boards are durable and will last most of your lifetime. When it starts to get a little crapped up looking over the years sand it down a little and it will look brand new again.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Seattle_Ben

Post by Seattle_Ben »

Thoughts on this one?

or

or

$99.95 and way better than any of that Amazon stuff. 18"x12"x1.5" Maple End Grain. http://jonescuttingboards.com/store/p7/ ... 32000.html
These guys get a definite +1 one for being a family business too
Rusky

Post by Rusky »

Thoughts on this one?

or

or

From all your comments and searching around this forum it seems both Hinoki and hi-soft are awesome but can stain, absorb and need a decent amount of maintenance so that's leaning me towards this maple end grain. Is this a good brand?

Also I'm seeing some conflicting info, this site is ranking teak and walnut on the lower end of the Janka Hardness scale and thus easier on your knifes
https://www.cuttingboard.com/blog/which ... or-knives/

EDIT:

I just stumbled on this site and I think it explains why end grain should be made with harder wood but would still love your opinions on this

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/wood-use- ... 98958.html
bosco

Post by bosco »

I think you have officially hit the paralysis by analysis syndrome.......

The debate it seems to be aesthetics vs. practicality and I think you should stick with the Hinoki or hi-soft as everyone here has recommended. I have a cutting board for photos and my hinoki is my work horse. I don't care what it looks like as long as my knives are happy
Rusky

Post by Rusky »

bosco wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:07 am I think you have officially hit the paralysis by analysis syndrome.......

The debate it seems to be aesthetics vs. practicality and I think you should stick with the Hinoki or hi-soft as everyone here has recommended. I have a cutting board for photos and my hinoki is my work horse. I don't care what it looks like as long as my knives are happy
you are so right hahaha...too much info and my brain is all over the place :shock: :shock: :shock:

But you made a really important comment here...for me practicality will always trump aesthetics so I will move forward with that in mind
salemj

Post by salemj »

Honestly, if you shop around and find a sale, you can easily get a Boos edge-grain maple board for $50-60 in the size you want. The catskill you posted also seems fine, although I would get one without a liquid groove (you loose a lot of work space with a groove on such a small board, especially when the groove is as wide as the one on that board). I would not personally go for walnut edge-grain: I think it is excellent for end-grain because it is softer and heals very well, but I don't think this is true when you are cutting against the grain.

Otherwise, the Hi-Soft and Hinoki are clearly the trendy boards of the moment on the forum and there are not many complaints about them yet, although I'm not sure it is accurate to say "everyone" would recommend them. I think I tried a Hi-Soft in store once. I can imagine why people like them and I'm sure they are great, but like most such trends, I'm not sure they really represent some magic, secret solution that is better than other options. Plus, lots of people just like wood over synthetics. If money is a concern, they are more expensive, too. Perhaps they are better for down the road, after you try one in person, rather than buying blind as a primary board for a quick fix. Just remember that boards often cost different amounts because of quality. They may seem "simple," but they still rely on furniture craft, which means quality wood which is appropriately aged and planed, with proper gluing, drying, sanding, and oiling. There are lots of steps there to "cheap out" on, which is why it is a good idea to go with a reputable brand that specializes in making cutting boards.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
datster

Post by datster »

YES! I think sometimes we forget in our search for the "best" that all these options we get will work with only marginal differences. End grain vs. edge grain, will a home cook ever really notice the difference on their edge over a few month period? Probably not. Just like knives, my sister has some Wusthof blades and even that quality is wasted on her, a good Japanese blade would make no difference to her. We just have to admit we're kinda nerdy and seeking perfection, when for many, the lowest end of what we call quality is more than enough for them.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

I use this one at home and love it.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ckwaendgrcub.html

At work I use hi soft and love it.
Overall I like the feeling of the hi soft more but I need to sand it just about every day.

At home, I'll be sticking with the end grain walnut. It looks better and is less maintenance.

I think the biggest question is how you value aesthetics and maintenance vs feeling.
As for price, It sounds to me like you are willing to pay a little extra if it means you get the right one for you. Either way, if you get something good it will not be cheap unless you find a killer deal like salemj mentioned.
A good board will be an investment that can last many years if taken care of.
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

I made a few end grain cutting boards out of rock maple and rift sawed bubinga. The project involved a lot more labor than I anticipated. Fortunately, I had most of the equipment to build them (planer, powerful table saw, and lots of clamps). I still had to pay someone with a panel sander to sand them. Basically, you build and sand an edge grain board then cut it up and start again. Getting an end grain board for $150 is a bargain.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Rusky wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:46 am

Thoughts on this one?

or

or

From all your comments and searching around this forum it seems both Hinoki and hi-soft are awesome but can stain, absorb and need a decent amount of maintenance so that's leaning me towards this maple end grain. Is this a good brand?

Also I'm seeing some conflicting info, this site is ranking teak and walnut on the lower end of the Janka Hardness scale and thus easier on your knifes
https://www.cuttingboard.com/blog/which ... or-knives/

EDIT:

I just stumbled on this site and I think it explains why end grain should be made with harder wood but would still love your opinions on this

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/wood-use- ... 98958.html
Teak is a species of trees, not a specific wood, that includes several different tropical woods. All of these "Teak" woods have lots of silicates, that's the problem not the hardness.

And yes, Jones Cutting Boards is a good brand that makes a quality product.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Been using an edge walnut board the size you are looking at. It has taken a beating and keeps on working. Last year I resanded it for the first time and oiled it. Looked brand new. Doesn’t have to be expensive to be usable.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Runner_up

Post by Runner_up »

STPepper9 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:12 pm I use this one at home and love it.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ckwaendgrcub.html

At work I use hi soft and love it.
Overall I like the feeling of the hi soft more but I need to sand it just about every day.

At home, I'll be sticking with the end grain walnut. It looks better and is less maintenance.

I think the biggest question is how you value aesthetics and maintenance vs feeling.
As for price, It sounds to me like you are willing to pay a little extra if it means you get the right one for you. Either way, if you get something good it will not be cheap unless you find a killer deal like salemj mentioned.
A good board will be an investment that can last many years if taken care of.
+1

I tried Hi soft boards for my restaurant, they are very nice but I also find that we sand them really frequently.

I've been using this walnut end grain board at home for a year or so now. These are made by Jones cutting boards and are very, very high quality and really beautiful. Sturdy and easy on your edges. I have a Aomori Hiba board that I like a lot as well but this is my do everything board. Spend the extra money and just be done with it. One of these boards will last you the rest of your life (and then some) - at $150 it's a steal, IMO.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Find a local wood shop if you like. I have a couple from a guy who makes end grain maple boards that have served me well. I got a new one last year (26" X 40") that was made from scraps by a guy who make futon frames from local maple - he glued up a bunch of 1x2 pieces and flattened them in a joiner - 2" thick and weighs a ton, but a very nice board and was only $80. Gives me a large work surface that is easy on knives. Have a couple of Boos and they are fine as well, but since I got them at WS they cost way too much
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

Wow. That’s a great deal Isoboogy. I doubt that the hourly wage was very high for the guy making that huge cutting board.
Just have to put a word of caution out there.
Joining end grain is very dangerous and would probably yield bad results.