Gyuto Finalists

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.

Pick your top 3!

Masakage Koishi (AS) 3.8mm
17%
Gihei Blue #2 3.7mm, "2.1mm after first inch"
10%
Anryu AS 3.5mm
8%
Kanehiro AS 3.2mm
8%
Kurosaki Megumi (VG-10) 3.1mm
2%
Kanehiro Ginsan (ginsan)3mm
4%
Tanaka blue 2 (Aogami 2)2.9mm
23%
Kohetsu Hap40 wa gyuto 2.8mm
8%
Anryu blue #2 hammered gyuto 2.6mm
19%

Total votes: 48

Higuma

Gyuto Finalists

Post by Higuma »

Greetings,
I am a home cook who only does veg. prep(onions, carrots, squash, garlic, leafy greens, and herbs):
I have narrowed my search through all the research I've done and pulled out the following 240mm Gyutos that fit my criteria. I would like help narrowing these down further, they're all either Blue#2/ AS with stainless clad but a few are Hap40, VG-10, and Ginsan. The heights are 50 on avg. And the spine at back have varying widths from thicc to thin(will vary in reality)

-Durability(no micro-chips) and sharp blade retention are my number one priority.
-a laser that has workhorse durability, doesnt have to be the thinnest laser

If you have any of these knives, your opinions are valued higher.

-Masakage Koishi (AS) 3.8mm
-Gihei Blue #2 3.7mm, "2.1mm after first inch"
-Anryu AS 3.5mm
-Kanehiro AS 3.2mm
-Kurosaki Megumi (VG-10) 3.1mm
-Kanehiro Ginsan (ginsan)3mm
-Tanaka blue 2 (Aogami 2)2.9mm
-Kohetsu Hap40 wa gyuto 2.8mm
-Anryu blue #2 hammered gyuto 2.6mm
Bensbites

Re: Gyuto Finalists

Post by Bensbites »

You have done your research, and that is awesome.

You are crowdsourcing our favorite blades as opposed to the one that will work the best for you.

How do you cut? Rocker, chopper, push cut, tip draw,

Do you want a flat spot? High tip? Low tip?

Where do you stand on food release vs laser cutting vs wedging at the shoulders?
Higuma

Post by Higuma »

Bensbites wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:57 am You have done your research, and that is awesome.

You are crowdsourcing our favorite blades as opposed to the one that will work the best for you.

How do you cut? Rocker, chopper, push cut, tip draw,

Do you want a flat spot? High tip? Low tip?

Where do you stand on food release vs laser cutting vs wedging at the shoulders?
I forgot to mention that here, I did in my last post. I am a tap cut but I like the ability to slight rock the smallest amount of of curve in the tip is enough for me(medium), so I was really interested in the features I mentioned(durability, anti-chipping)

I need food release as I cut potatoes and sticky veggies often(as mentioned before) I need a laser with durability. I would like to know the overall consensus on these knives and how they perform respectively from people who own them.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Mods can we move this to the correct forum for knife recs.
Higuma

Post by Higuma »

Nmiller21k wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:10 am Mods can we move this to the correct forum for knife recs.
This is not me looking for recommendations, I just want to know peoples opinions of a select few knives that I know of.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Higuma wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:34 am
Nmiller21k wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:10 am Mods can we move this to the correct forum for knife recs.
This is not me looking for recommendations, I just want to know peoples opinions of a select few knives that I know of.
The original post looks like a rec.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Higuma wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:04 am Greetings,
I am a home cook who only does veg. prep(onions, carrots, squash, garlic, leafy greens, and herbs):
I have narrowed my search through all the research I've done and pulled out the following 240mm Gyutos that fit my criteria. I would like help narrowing these down further, they're all either Blue#2/ AS with stainless clad but a few are Hap40, VG-10, and Ginsan. The heights are 50 on avg. And the spine at back have varying widths from thicc to thin(will vary in reality)

-Durability(no micro-chips) and sharp blade retention are my number one priority.
-a laser that has workhorse durability, doesnt have to be the thinnest laser

If you have any of these knives, your opinions are valued higher.
This entire section, reads like I'm looking for a knife.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Think you should have the Konosuke HD2 on that list given the tasks listed. It would be a serious contender.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
PaulME

Post by PaulME »

It does look exactly like your looking for which of those to get, and the pole is kind of silly as unless you have tried them all your only voting for the one(s) you have tried - there are members who will undoubtedly have tried most or all.

Of your list I have an Anryu 240 really like it, would also reccomend the Kurosaki r2 hammered if you can find one -I found this knife amazing!! If the Megumi is basically the same which I believe it is it should be a great knife.

Someone pointed out Konosuki HD - don’t have one but have a GS when the HD was basically unobtainable, niceknife but does not speak to me like it seems to for others.
Paul
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

PaulME wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:41 am It does look exactly like your looking for which of those to get, and the pole is kind of silly as unless you have tried them all your only voting for the one(s) you have tried - there are members who will undoubtedly have tried most or all.

Of your list I have an Anryu 240 really like it, would also reccomend the Kurosaki r2 hammered if you can find one -I found this knife amazing!! If the Megumi is basically the same which I believe it is it should be a great knife.

Someone pointed out Konosuki HD - don’t have one but have a GS when the HD was basically unobtainable, niceknife but does not speak to me like it seems to for others.
Paul
The r2 and megumi kurasakis should be pretty different. The r2 is supposed to be much more laserish than the beefy megumi that I've tried, but I haven't tried an r2, just what I hear. The hd should be plenty different from the gs to have a unique experience with, maybe you'd like it maybe not. The gs was one of the thinnest most frailest feeling of the lasers I've tried. The he should have a little more meat plus it's monosteel which can make a big difference especially for a laser.
PaulME

Post by PaulME »

So would agree on the r2 hammered being more of a laser than the GS or anything else I have. I find it amazing. Keep saying maybe I’ll sell it but have not done anything there yet. Makoto sg2 looks like an interesting candidate to replace, I really like the Makoto as 210 I picked up (when they were out of 240s), guess I’m a fan f the Kurosaki brothers
Paul