Yahiko Shirogami Hairline 240 passaround

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
gladius

Re: Yahiko Shirogami Hairline 240 passaround

Post by gladius »

Jeff B wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:13 pm Very good to know! I wonder if Mazaki will make any changes to the Hairline now that his name will be on them... :?:
I wonder how the JNS version compares with the version sold by Cleancut. Have heard good things about both.
---
I read in a newsletter as a result of Mazaki spending more time training under Kato he is now making his blades thicker with a beefier grind. I tested the Hairline and JNS/Mazaki side-by-side and preferred the thicker model: a more powerful cutter.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Jeff B wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:53 pm I guess it just felt so "toothy" sharp I thought it might be a Jnat edge but it's just the low grit finish.
I did put it quckily to some potatoes and an onion last night and was very underwhelmed in its performance. Don't know if it was the edge or the geometry, but I will get to the bottom of this. ;)
I was expecting a lot more, making me second guess my desire for a Mazaki.
What underwhelmed you? Im curious lol
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Jeff B wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:13 pm
gladius wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:11 pm The Hairline gyutos are thinner than Mazaki brand knives from JNS. The thicker Kato'esque blades perform much better.
Very good to know! I wonder if Mazaki will make any changes to the Hairline now that his name will be on them... :?:
I wonder how the JNS version compares with the version sold by Cleancut. Have heard good things about both.
You know, I'm especially curious as to what exactly the Kanji says on the "undisclosed" Hairlines, as seen in a photo a page or two before. Does a piece of art\craftsmanship command the same price whether it is signed or not?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Jeff B wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:53 pm I guess it just felt so "toothy" sharp I thought it might be a Jnat edge but it's just the low grit finish.
I did put it quckily to some potatoes and an onion last night and was very underwhelmed in its performance. Don't know if it was the edge or the geometry, but I will get to the bottom of this. ;)
Lol...... Its funny how when you thought it was Chris's natural edge it was "damn you got some serious chops!" And "its screaming sharp!"

I tell you its mine and its "its just the low grit finish"
"Very underwhelmed maybe its the edge or geometry" lol

I know i dont use natties but damn cant a brother get some love? Lol

Im gonna go cut myself now with my my non-natty-low-grit-finish lol
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Chefcallari wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:45 pm
Lol...... Its funny how when you thought it was Chris's natural edge it was "damn you got some serious chops!" And "its screaming sharp!"

Not dissing your edge at all Steve :lol: sorry if it's coming out that way! I'm not saying now that it doesn't feel sharp, a proper 320 edge is and feels sharp. When I did the three finger test it felt scary and a good 1k toothy edge will have that feeling. My only point to all this is in my experience something like a 5k Jnat finish will fill more toothy than a synthetic 5k finish and not to many people ever stop at 1k. That caught me a little off guard and why I though that edge could very well be from using Jnats.

And when I say "underwhelmed" I mean it didn't perform as well as I expected given the praise this knife and smith have received, and the EXTREMELY sharp edge! ;) It didn't drop through potatoes and onions like some of my other knives, it seemed to struggle. And I'm not saying it is the edge that is the problem, I feel it is more the geometry. I am going to take the edge up to a higher finish for kicks but I don't expect it to have any meaningful effect. I doubt I sharpen as well as you do. ;) Enough praise yet? :P

I think I remember some comments in this thread about changing your technique to match the knife's profile to get the most out of it. I'm going to have to go back and re-read some of this thread.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Jeff B wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:28 pm
Chefcallari wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:45 pm

Not dissing your edge at all Steve :lol: sorry if it's coming out that way! I'm not saying now that it doesn't feel sharp, a proper 320 edge is and feels sharp. When I did the three finger test it felt scary and a good 1k toothy edge will have that feeling. My only point to all this is in my experience something like a 5k Jnat finish will fill more toothy than a synthetic 5k finish and not to many people ever stop at 1k. That caught me a little off guard and why I though that edge could very well be from using Jnats.

And when I say "underwhelmed" I mean it didn't perform as well as I expected given the praise this knife and smith have received, and the EXTREMELY sharp edge! ;) It didn't drop through potatoes and onions like some of my other knives, it seemed to struggle. And I'm not saying it is the edge that is the problem, I feel it is more the geometry. I am going to take the edge up to a higher finish for kicks but I don't expect it to have any meaningful effect. I doubt I sharpen as well as you do. ;) Enough praise yet? :P

I think I remember some comments in this thread about changing your technique to match the knife's profile to get the most out of it. I'm going to have to go back and re-read some of this thread.
Lol jesus.... Im just breaking your balls brother!
You did not dis my edge at all... Lol im just messing around.
If you did not like my edge i would be asking for tips to make it better... Im totally just taking shots at all the amazing jnat sharpeners here lol
Like i said Chris's edge was great.... Damn natties lol
Im sure you sharpen better than i do.

I hope i didnt come off serious...

Didnt drop through huh? Interesting.... I love how the same knife can feel different in the hands of different people.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

This line was classic,"Im gonna go cut myself now with my my non-natty-low-grit-finish"! :lol:
I know you're just busting balls, I'm just busting back a little. And to hell with them damn natties!

Still gotta get this knife figured out though. Wife is out tonight so I didn't do any cooking but I'm going to play a lot tomorrow!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Well the Yazakihiko will finally be headed home probably tomorrow. After getting rid of that horrendous edge that Steve put on the knife :P I had a much different experience with the knife. Kidding Steve, my early disappointments were more user error than anything. After a night playing with some potatoes, onions and carrots I got to know the knife much better. G&G with a little exaggeration of the first G ;) makes a big difference with this knife. Amazing how a little technique adjustment can totally change the performance of a knife.
She likes to rough house a little too and doesn't care to be babied, that's not how she's built. I really like the lower tip on this knife, it helps not having to lift the elbow as much when using the tip. Had little trouble with onions and potatoes but it still wedged some on me in taller carrots but nothing I couldn't tolerate. It carved a shoulder roast very nicely.

This knife feels very confident and gives great feedback on the board. I'm not the biggest fan of the undersized handle and the blade is a bit to forward weighted for me, I like a more neutral balance. By the time it got to me the iron cladding was very stable and reactivity was very low.
If you like knives confident, tall and blade heavy this just might be the knife you've been searching for.

Thanks David for throwing me in at the very last minute, it was much appreciate!
Dkroe3

Post by Dkroe3 »

I have one of these knives, grinds need some work but an all around great knife that preformed well, didn’t find it as well finished as it’s Myzaki counterpart.
J david

Post by J david »

The knife arrived home in GREAT condition. Thank you all for participating and thank you for taking such good care of the knife. I just cleaned it up and put a fresh edge on it. My plan is to use it to prep a dinner or two and then put it up for sale. It has too much performance overlap with my other knives to keep it but I wanted to get it in the hands of other members before i moved it. I thought it was a great knife before anybody knew it was a Mazaki, and I'm sure Mark will have difficulty keeping them in stock just like the rest of the vendors.

Thanks again everybody.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Wow.
Again, I just can't fathom how long this has been! I went back to check when I posted my own experience - that was back in Dec 2017! Whew!
Seems like Ben will be parting with his new Makoto for the rest of 2018, then :o
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld