Makoto AS Nakiri

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
wphill

Re: Makoto AS Nakiri

Post by wphill »

"if I need 2 hands to guide the blade 😳.... I think it’s safe to say it’s not going to be the knife for me"

Ouch! But true.
"
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Has this filled up yet?
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

I just spent the last 30+ minutes typing out my thoughts, to have the site fail while posting it. :cry:

First, it's probably half way to Keith right now as it was mailed yesterday.

The rest... may come again later, ha.

Summary, I was extremely excited for this one, but I'm a little disappointed with it after very little use due to an injury. I thought it would be the one to replace my Yuki, but it's not... especially at it's price point.

The good, I love this size of a nakiri.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

The knives have made it to me in good order
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

My time with these knives is coming to a close.

Here are my thoughts.

I actually thought I would like the tall Nakiri more than I did. I had always thought the taller the better (and this looked knife like my Yuki's father), but I found it slowed me down some and the extra height didn't give me much, except for scooping. It was as big as my bench scraper. What I did like was that it cut very well, was good and sharp and had some good heft when needed. Crushing garlic was a blast. What drove me nuts was the food release. It was like a vegetable magnet. I am glad I tried this knife as I learn more and know that I am a guy who prefers a lighter, more nimble knife.

Which brings me to...

I really liked the 240 Harukaze AS.

This knife was a blast. It was light an sharp and everything you could want. The handle was nice and it is a looker. The work done on it was worth it. My only negatives is a few times I could have used a little more board clearance and I like a more rustic look, but that is purely a personal preference.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Knives in my possession. Edges in good shape. Wasn’t expecting the Harukaze to be lighter than my Shibata!
Jeffry B
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Been over a month since last post from Jbart on 8/22. Nobody incl jbart has any comments?
CacahuateSommelier

Post by CacahuateSommelier »

Ibarra had it last and he has sent it to Lepus last week..... no other info on my end.... I believe you are after Lepus
CacahuateSommelier

Post by CacahuateSommelier »

Jbart had it last and he sent it to Lepus last week..... no other info on my end.... I believe you are after Lepus, but Ian unsure right now (I’m in the NICU visiting my new daughter)
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Not grinding but just seems like there has been minimal comments about your nice pass around. Guess ill just wait. Grats on your new daughter!!!
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

My thoughts will come soon. Been a busy past few weeks!
Jeffry B
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Knives have arrived in Chicago

First impressions: the Makoto feels great in the hand. I like the weight-forwardness of a tall nakiri! It really wants to start chopping things.

The Harukaze is indeed light! Also very mirror shiny!

The edges here seem to be very good. I look forward to playing around in the coming days.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Question about food release, is the food release issue with all tall nakiri's or just this particular one? Is it the Nashiji finish or something else? I want a tall nakiri but I would like it to have good to very good food release (if possible). What's the opinion of you folks that tried this one?
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Some thoughts on these knives.

The Harukaze was a stunner. Very thin, nicely ground, acute tip - quite laserish. Just a terrific cutter and one of the best values in knives.

The stock handle and fit and finish exceeded my expectations. Mirror finish looks good too.

Now, it does have a rounded profile that while good for rocking limits its ability as a chopper. If that is your preferred profile, though, it’s a very good thing.

The mirror finish, for its part, does add to stickage of separation. Not the worst separate, but far from the best. All in all, a tremendous performer for the money.

The Makoto tall nakiri is a more specialized offering. I was hoping it would be like a 180 Yuki nakiri, but it is not.

Cuts well up and down, of course. Lot of power behind it and it’s well crafted, too.

Yet it is too tall and too heavy for my taste. I would like it better if it were 5 mm shorter or some such. At its current size I found it less nimble than I would have preferred.
Jeffry B
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Just sent them off.

Both where good knives, but neither made me go oh wow.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Been a bit tardy on this one due to the holiday, and being a procrastinator but...Thanks Dean for the chance to test out a 240 laser and a tall nakiri! Since lots of time has gone by since this started here are the links to the knives:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/miastana.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/haas24wagy.html I think this is the right one

I wanted to get in on this one as I have been leaning toward cleavers (cck size-weight) and heavier knives lately. Seems the wind has shifted the direction of my knife preferences from the allure of lasers(for now at least). The Makoto was an itch i wanted to scratch but after playing for a week that itch was relieved.

The Makoto tall nakiri was very well done in the fit and finish dept, and it arrived sharp. Just kind of fell through stuff with the knife doing the work. While the site calls the finish on this knife Kurouchi, I think its more like a nashiji finish, very similar to a Kanehiro bunka i have. The Ho wood handle for a knife of this price was a bit disappointing. Would I buy one? umm it looks alot better and probably has better edge retention, but for almost 200 less the CCK cleaver for me as a home cook would be the way to go.

Harukaze 240 As: Well now i'm not a 240 person for sure, and almost didnt want to play with this one but of course you know how that goes for a novice like me...This sucker was sharp! It did well on everything i cut with it, and someday I will buy a Harukaze 180 or 210 Western As gyuto to add to the herd.

So i took a chance and made some vids of me cutting cukes. Know lots of issues with me cutting etc, but was fun, next ones will be better!
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXb36fcLtQw[/YouTube]
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2pscbpdn0g&t=32s[/YouTube]
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGMRnXxku74&t=25s[/YouTube]
gladius

Post by gladius »

Nice comparison and video!
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Cool videos! Love the look of that hakata
gluttonouspanda

Post by gluttonouspanda »

can I joined the makoto as nakiri pass around? I looking to purchase a new veggie cleaver and this is on my list. I love my makoto as gyuto 210mm
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

That think looked very impressive and sharp too. Been very curious about the Makoto brand of knives.