Another person leaving Wusthoff

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
csulaguy

Another person leaving Wusthoff

Post by csulaguy »

I sent an email to Mark, before realizing this nifty forum is attached to this site. That said, a friend's wife (who is a "pro" home chef) suggested this website, because I was looking for a yanagiba knife. In reality, I need to upgrade all of my knives. I answered all the questions below, to help make things easier.

1)Pro or home cook?
Home

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santoku, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Steak knives, a yanagiba for cutting homemade sushi/slicing fish, and something I can use for chopping vegetables.

3) What size knife do you want?
I'm not sure. I haven't figured out which sizes are ideal

4)How much do you want to spend?
Initially, I was thinking under $100. But I don't want to end up with a crappy entry level knife. I guess under $250 each to be safe, but cheaper on the steak knives obviously.

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
Sadly, I don't know the difference.

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
I don't know. Either is fine.

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
I primarily have Wusthoff knives, and I hate them. They end up dull rather quickly, and I've honestly never liked them.

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
Probably fair. I'm by no means an expert or enthusiast.

10)Do you know how to sharpen?

I had a professional butcher show me how to sharpen, but it was with a rod and German knives. I understand that the harder steel of some Japanese knives means you have to sharpen other ways?

There are A LOT of brands to research. I did see that Tojiro has good reviews for steak knives. I don't want to break the bank, but the idea of a handcrafted knife is also something appealing, as opposed to a mass produced piece.
XexoX

Re: Another person leaving Wusthoff

Post by XexoX »

I am not an expert on knives, but a few things I've gathered here, and I will be promptly corrected with any wrong info.

Stainless steel are mostly non-reactive, meaning they don't easily rust. Carbon steel will rust if not taken care of, and is also reactive, meaning the blade will turn all sorts of colors of brown, blue, grey, black, etc. This is called patina.

Cladding, a knife can be made of a core steel, then sandwiched between two layers of another steel. If the core is carbon and the cladding is stainless, then the knife is easier to care for as only the cutting blade will react to acids, water, etc. If the core is stainless and the cladding is stainless, then the knife should be easier to care for. There are also semi-stainless steels, which take a bit more to rust than a carbon steel.

There are also mono steel knives, which do not have a cladding. They can made from stainless, semi-stainless, or carbon steel, and must likely there are other steels I don't know about.

Cladding can be done by a blacksmith, or by machine in a factory. By hand ones are usually more expensive than cladding done by machine, but what the blacksmith does with the blank may reflect in the price.

The fit and finish (F&F) is also reflected in the price, usually. I more "polished" knife, as in a better f&f will cost more.

When it comes down to it, CKTG doesn't sell a bad knife. Yes, some are cheaper than others, some have a more "rustic" look and feel, so it really comes down to what you like and what you can afford. If you do get something that you don't like, or later find something that better suits you, then you can resale it here in the classifieds.

Best of luck with your search and welcome to the rabbit hole.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Santas_101

Post by Santas_101 »

I recently purchased the Tojiro Steak Knives and can attest that they are really nice knives. They are stainless VG-10 steel and are easy to sharpen (this will need to happen more often than not considering most people cut there steak on ceramic plates, which tends to dull knives). That being said, they are great knives and a really good price.

When it comes to sharpening, starting out I’d start out with a good 1k/6k Japanese water stone and a good strop. You don’t want to use a metal honing rod on Japanese knives, as you are more likely than not to chip the knife. Plus, metal honing rods are usually not harder than Japanese steel, thus it wouldn’t have the overall effect that you were attending to to achieve. A good strop is the best method for someone starting out to align/refine the edge on a Japanese knife. Mark has videos on how to strop and there are even more on YouTube to help further guide you.

As far as a sushi knife, I’d choose a sujihiki instead, for the simple reason starting out sharpening single-bevel knives is harder than double-bevel knives and there are a lot more stainless options with sujihiki’s. Sujihiki’s are basically double-bevel slicers. Size wise, most come in 240mm and 270mm, and I always say go as big as your cutting board allows. Handle wise, I’d choose a WA Japanese handle because you primarily are going to use it for sushi.

Here are some good choices:
240mm:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/takuvghasl24.html

270mm:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kagisu27.html

Hope this helps.
Infrared

Post by Infrared »

For cutting vegetables, it's going to depend on what size you want.

Masutani VG10 Damascus Santoku 165mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mavgdasa16.html
Knife is around 6.5 inches. Slightly smaller than your average chef's knife. Many consider this the perfect size for home cooking, especially if you have limited space. Handmade.

Yasunori VG-10 Warikomi Damascus Gyuto 210mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yavggy21.html
At around 8 inches, this is your typical chef's knife.

If you want something a little more flashy, check this out.

Misuzu AUS10 Gyuto 210mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/miaugy21.html
Take note that Damascus does not affect performance at all, it's purely aesthetics.

To keep your knives sharp, you'll want a ceramic rod.

CKTG Black Ceramic Sharpening Rod 270mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ckblceshrod.html
This should keep your knives sharp for a very long time. Sooner or later they will have to be sharpened (this applies to all knives, including German knives). You can learn yourself or send it to a professional.

One last but very important thing to remember. No matter which Japanese knife you buy, dot not cut hard materials like bones or frozen food, they will chip your knife. Save your Wüsthof for those tasks.
csulaguy

Post by csulaguy »

Santas_101 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:35 am I recently purchased the Tojiro Steak Knives and can attest that they are really nice knives. They are stainless VG-10 steel and are easy to sharpen (this will need to happen more often than not considering most people cut there steak on ceramic plates, which tends to dull knives). That being said, they are great knives and a really good price.
Interesting point about the ceramic plates. Odd as it sounds, 99% of the time I use fine china for my steak. I actually have 2 sets that I use for almost everyday cooking (and have been for over a decade), but I don't know if bone china is any harder than say feldspar porcelain or glass (have a mix of both for the casual/microwavable dishware).

When it comes to sharpening, starting out I’d start out with a good 1k/6k Japanese water stone and a good strop. You don’t want to use a metal honing rod on Japanese knives, as you are more likely than not to chip the knife. Plus, metal honing rods are usually not harder than Japanese steel, thus it wouldn’t have the overall effect that you were attending to to achieve. A good strop is the best method for someone starting out to align/refine the edge on a Japanese knife. Mark has videos on how to strop and there are even more on YouTube to help further guide you.
Stropping is a leather strap, right, used to sharpen? I'm going to blend a previous comment, because I guess it gets down to my question about sharpening...
XexoX wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:28 pm Best of luck with your search and welcome to the rabbit hole.
What am I getting myself into as far as sharpening? Or is it not as bad as it sounds? I don't usually cook elaborate meals, but I do cook everything for myself, and I do have to cut vegetables a lot. I'm not sure how to fit this in the rest of this post without transitioning abrubtly, but... my doctor recently diagnosed me as having first carpometacarpal in both hands (something I've had since childhood). Thankfully, it doesn't affect using knives as much, but it can. Even when sharpening my crappy Wusthoff knives, I find I still need to do A LOT of work just to cut things like onions or cilantro. Like more work than I should.

Y'all are going to laugh - my sharpest knives (compared to my Wusthoff) are $10 Harbor Freight ceramic knives... and I'm NOT proud of using those!

As far as a sushi knife, I’d choose a sujihiki instead, for the simple reason starting out sharpening single-bevel knives is harder than double-bevel knives and there are a lot more stainless options with sujihiki’s. Sujihiki’s are basically double-bevel slicers. Size wise, most come in 240mm and 270mm, and I always say go as big as your cutting board allows. Handle wise, I’d choose a WA Japanese handle because you primarily are going to use it for sushi.

240mm:

270mm:

Hope this helps.
So measure my cutting board and figure out the size? I've never really used a huge cutting board. 270mm is what, 10 3/4" I think, give or take?

Also, to share with the rest of y'all, what Mark also shared in my email to him:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpchkn18.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro3pcset.html

Any thoughts on that three piece set? I'm not posting the steak knives, because he only had the Tojiro, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to check those out anyways.
csulaguy

Post by csulaguy »

Infrared wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:04 am For cutting vegetables, it's going to depend on what size you want.

Masutani VG10 Damascus Santoku 165mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mavgdasa16.html
Knife is around 6.5 inches. Slightly smaller than your average chef's knife. Many consider this the perfect size for home cooking, especially if you have limited space. Handmade.

Yasunori VG-10 Warikomi Damascus Gyuto 210mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yavggy21.html

Take note that Damascus does not affect performance at all, it's purely aesthetics.

CKTG Black Ceramic Sharpening Rod 270mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ckblceshrod.html
This should keep your knives sharp for a very long time. Sooner or later they will have to be sharpened (this applies to all knives, including German knives). You can learn yourself or send it to a professional.
Apparently, your comment came while I was writing my last one. And I see now about how nice Damascus looks, which the first person to reply to me noted. Ha, when it was first mentioned, I knew it had something to do with Syria, but now I see it's just the finishing.

So that sharpening rod - that should be good for all the knives on CKTG? Ha, there's definitely a lot to this. Now I see why it's a rabbit hole. Kinda feels like some of the other enthusiast forums I'm on, as I tend to research my purchases and make informed decisions, but also don't like being in the status quo.
One last but very important thing to remember. No matter which Japanese knife you buy, dot not cut hard materials like bones or frozen food, they will chip your knife. Save your Wüsthof for those tasks.
So I don't necessarily want to sell my old Wusthoff on ebay? I can still keep them around? I don't really have a need to cut bones, or if I do, it's something outside and I use a bone saw, but I've occasionally cut semi-frozen/not fully thawed foods yet. My primary use for these knives really would be a set for cutting steak (I cook mine rare to medium rare, so it's still quite tender), fish/homemade sushi, and veggies/fruit.

Also, should I always be using a cutting board to cut? And I'm sure this deserves a totally different thread, but I'm going to assume there is a process for cleaning the cutting board each time, given that I might have raw fish/meat, along with veggies (don't necessarily want cross contamination)?
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Only thing I know about sharpening is that it is another rabbit hole you're headed down.

Start reading the forum. Read the other threads in the knife recomendation subforum. You'll find answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet. Plus answers to the questions you do have. The reading will keep you off the streets and out of the bars, so you'll have plenty of money to buy knives, stones, and to chase the unicorn knives.
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
csulaguy

Post by csulaguy »

XexoX wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:01 pm Only thing I know about sharpening is that it is another rabbit hole you're headed down.

Start reading the forum. Read the other threads in the knife recomendation subforum. You'll find answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet. Plus answers to the questions you do have. The reading will keep you off the streets and out of the bars, so you'll have plenty of money to buy knives, stones, and to chase the unicorn knives.
HAHA! Actually, working as an Uber driver keeps me out of the bars, but not necessarily out of the streets (it's my 1-2 day a week extrovert time). I don't think I'll get into knives that much, but who knows. I said the same thing about Swiss automatic watches, and ended up with five.
Infrared

Post by Infrared »

So I don't necessarily want to sell my old Wusthoff on ebay? I can still keep them around? I don't really have a need to cut bones, or if I do, it's something outside and I use a bone saw, but I've occasionally cut semi-frozen/not fully thawed foods yet.
Keep it for the frozen foods, nuts, hard chocolate, etc.
So that sharpening rod - that should be good for all the knives on CKTG?
Yes.
Also, should I always be using a cutting board to cut?
Yes. A plate or kitchen counters will dull your knives very quickly. Plastic or wood is fine.
And I'm sure this deserves a totally different thread, but I'm going to assume there is a process for cleaning the cutting board each time, given that I might have raw fish/meat, along with veggies (don't necessarily want cross contamination)?
I have a separate one for each, but it's not really necessary. Water and soap should be enough to clean them.
Santas_101

Post by Santas_101 »

Mark’s suggestion of the Tojiro 3pc set is good start, but I’d still get a sujihiki for slicing fish/sushi.

I’d only use an end grain cutting board or one of those hasegawa soft rubber boards. Nothing else. I have a board for protein and a board fruit/vegetables.

A strop will not sharpen your knife, just remove the burr after sharpening, further refine your edge after sharpening, and realign an edge of a knife after you have used it. You should view stropping as maintenance, just like you would do for your car. Treat it well, service it, and it will serve you well. You still need whetstones to sharpen and a good 1k/6k combo stone is a good start.
csulaguy

Post by csulaguy »

Santas_101 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:42 pm Mark’s suggestion of the Tojiro 3pc set is good start, but I’d still get a sujihiki for slicing fish/sushi.

I’d only use an end grain cutting board or one of those hasegawa soft rubber boards. Nothing else. I have a board for protein and a board fruit/vegetables.

A strop will not sharpen your knife, just remove the burr after sharpening, further refine your edge after sharpening, and realign an edge of a knife after you have used it. You should view stropping as maintenance, just like you would do for your car. Treat it well, service it, and it will serve you well. You still need whetstones to sharpen and a good 1k/6k combo stone is a good start.
Haha, what am I getting into!?

And yes, I would concur that I would get a specific knife just for cutting rolls/slicing fish. The 3 piece set seemed nice, but I've never been one to use starter sets when I can get an item specific to a purpose.

I was looking at this for cutting boards - would this be acceptable?
https://www.cuttingboard.com/kiso-hinok ... -18-x-1-5/

And would you have a link for a good whetstone combo? There's so many choices on the website, it's honestly overwhelming.

**EDIT**
Was doing more reading/looking and this seems like a better buy, though it's a little smaller. I have standard sized granite countertops, but I have an island to work on as well that also functions as my dining table, so big is also good.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ckwaendgrcub.html
Santas_101

Post by Santas_101 »

I think you could get a Hasegawa FSR board for cheaper or one of the Jones cutting boards for at least the same price/slightly less.

Stone Recommendation:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ce1kcost.html

Strop Recommendation:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/haamstkit.html

Cutting Board: make sure you get the board cream
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ckticubo.html
I’d get it with rubber feet, but if you order it directly from the Jones website you have more size options and the ability to get a juice groove for the board.
mikeltee

Post by mikeltee »

Check out John Boos Cutting Boards. I searched for days and they are the best deal. Unfortunately Maple is 6 weeks out and Walnut is 8 weeks. I started with a large 24x18x2.5 "side grain" which will be used for slicing large proteins for special occasions at $140. I will order a smaller proper end grain one for day to day tasks too. The one you linked too is very expensive for a side grain.

I also spend a couple days researching whetstones. I went with Shapton 500-1000-4000, a holder, diamond leveler and pond for less than $300. You can skip 500 if you maintain your blades, don't want to reprofile, and don't chip your blades. Make sure to practice on your Wustoffs.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

csulaguy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:58 pm
Santas_101 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:42 pm Mark’s suggestion of the Tojiro 3pc set is good start, but I’d still get a sujihiki for slicing fish/sushi.

Haha, what am I getting into!?

And yes, I would concur that I would get a specific knife just for cutting rolls/slicing fish. The 3 piece set seemed nice, but I've never been one to use starter sets when I can get an item specific to a purpose.

I was looking at this for cutting boards - would this be acceptable?
https://www.cuttingboard.com/kiso-hinok ... -18-x-1-5/

And would you have a link for a good whetstone combo? There's so many choices on the website, it's honestly overwhelming.

**EDIT**
Was doing more reading/looking and this seems like a better buy, though it's a little smaller. I have standard sized granite countertops, but I have an island to work on as well that also functions as my dining table, so big is also good.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ckwaendgrcub.html
Regarding cutting a steak on a plate: allow me to share a life hack I’ve discovered.
I put the steak on a paper plate which then goes on my china plate.
The knife will dull much more slowly. I no longer get th shiny line where the edge should be.

If you have a fine-enough touch, the foam plates are even kinder to steel.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

csulaguy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:11 pm
XexoX wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:01 pm Only thing I know about sharpening is that it is another rabbit hole you're headed down.

HAHA! Actually, working as an Uber driver keeps me out of the bars, but not necessarily out of the streets (it's my 1-2 day a week extrovert time). I don't think I'll get into knives that much, but who knows. I said the same thing about Swiss automatic watches, and ended up with five.
Boy are you gonna be surprised! I came to this site onn Nov.9th. Since arriving I've bought 17 knives, 8 stones, 8 strops, 4 different compounds to enhance the strops. I've got my eye on an sg2 blade I missed out on at Christmas that's coming soon. So beware of the addiction, it's fun but it gets a grip and you're done! The Tojiros are perfect to begin with. Made and priced for beginners with less frills but high on quality. The 3 knife set covers all your bases so you can do anything but chop bones with those 3. My personal preferences are AS blue super steel, b#2 and White #@, which as Mark says alot, holds a screaqming edge. Sharpening is practice, repetition and watching hrs. of videos ntil you get the feel of it, then one day it just comes easy for the first time and then it's downhill. Still always learning but it's a fun learning curve. Any question about stones, sharpening, strops there's lots of people hree, Ken Schwartz being one of my favorites. I like the humor too, don't want to get into any heavy dialogue personally. Too much fun to be had with all this stuff, good Luck! Don't be afraid to PM people, everyone will talk to you if you want one on one discussion.
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

csulaguy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:28 am
Infrared wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:04 am For cutting vegetables, it's going to depend on what size you want.

Apparently, your comment came while I was writing my last one. And I see now about how nice Damascus looks, which the first person to reply to me noted. Ha, when it was first mentioned, I knew it had something to do with Syria, but now I see it's just the finishing.

So that sharpening rod - that should be good for all the knives on CKTG? Ha, there's definitely a lot to this. Now I see why it's a rabbit hole. Kinda feels like some of the other enthusiast forums I'm on, as I tend to research my purchases and make informed decisions, but also don't like being in the status quo.
So I don't necessarily want to sell my old Wusthoff on ebay? I can still keep them around? I don't really have a need to cut bones, or if I do, it's something outside and I use a bone saw, but I've occasionally cut semi-frozen/not fully thawed foods yet. My primary use for these knives really would be a set for cutting steak (I cook mine rare to medium rare, so it's still quite tender), fish/homemade sushi, and veggies/fruit.

Also, should I always be using a cutting board to cut? And I'm sure this deserves a totally different thread, but I'm going to assume there is a process for cleaning the cutting board each time, given that I might have raw fish/meat, along with veggies (don't necessarily want cross contamination)?
Just bought a Hasegawa soft rubber board and it put my wooden boards to shame! Check out MTC Kitchens.
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

Where were you 40 yrs. ago when I was wasting all my money running the sts. and hitting the bars! Could have bought half the site with what I drank and did whatever. wasted tons of money and too many brain cells to count. Cooking, sharpening and perusing the site is much more fun! Keep that humor coming Xerox, there's never enough!
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

FisherMAn1298 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:10 pm

Where were you 40 yrs. ago when I was wasting all my money running the sts. and hitting the bars! Could have bought half the site with what I drank and did whatever. wasted tons of money and too many brain cells to count. Cooking, sharpening and perusing the site is much more fun! Keep that humor coming Xerox, there's never enough!
The young never want my advice, or stories. They know it all already. :mrgreen:
csulaguy

Post by csulaguy »

Santas_101 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:35 am As far as a sushi knife, I’d choose a sujihiki instead, for the simple reason starting out sharpening single-bevel knives is harder than double-bevel knives and there are a lot more stainless options with sujihiki’s. Sujihiki’s are basically double-bevel slicers. Size wise, most come in 240mm and 270mm, and I always say go as big as your cutting board allows. Handle wise, I’d choose a WA Japanese handle because you primarily are going to use it for sushi.

240mm:

270mm:

Hope this helps.
Question on these sujihiki knives - how does one choose between the two? And is longer usually better, or not necessarily?
I got in a really bad car accident, so I've been out of the loop for the past month. I did place my order for steak knives though - the Tojiro, and one of each to try the Daovua knives (being made of recycled steel piqued my interest, and the reviews attested to their supposed quality).
Santas_101

Post by Santas_101 »

csulaguy wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:13 am
Santas_101 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:35 am As far as a sushi knife, I’d choose a sujihiki instead, for the simple reason starting out sharpening single-bevel knives is harder than double-bevel knives and there are a lot more stainless options with sujihiki’s. Sujihiki’s are basically double-bevel slicers. Size wise, most come in 240mm and 270mm, and I always say go as big as your cutting board allows. Handle wise, I’d choose a WA Japanese handle because you primarily are going to use it for sushi.

240mm:

270mm:

Hope this helps.
Question on these sujihiki knives - how does one choose between the two? And is longer usually better, or not necessarily?
I got in a really bad car accident, so I've been out of the loop for the past month. I did place my order for steak knives though - the Tojiro, and one of each to try the Daovua knives (being made of recycled steel piqued my interest, and the reviews attested to their supposed quality).

Hey there,
I hope you are okay. I’d go with a 270mm if you have a big enough cutting board. I like to bbq and a 270mm is great for slicing brisket and those sorts of things where you want the length to just make that one long draw slicing motion. For sushi, I guess it would depend on what type of fish you’d be slicing. That being said, if you have big hands, there really isn’t a lot of knuckle clearance in most slicing knives, so you might want to look at a longer gyuto. Hope that helps.