Kiritsuke Recommendation

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Damon216

Kiritsuke Recommendation

Post by Damon216 »

Here's some points from the sticky.
I am also very interested in trying a single bevel blade.. but need to read up on technique.
Also - For Kiritsuke style, I see a wide range of blade thickness and also of blade height. I prefer a higher blade 45-50mm.

Comment on diff between a 240 vs 210 length in terms of practical use - 30mm is about an inch... what difference does that make.

Thanks!

1)Home cook, but a do a lot of chopping cutting. 50% prep with an 8" Hammer Stahl western chef knife, 50% flat belly Chines style veg chopper

2)What kind of knife do you want? Kirtsuike ideally 240mm or convince me to get a 210

3) What size knife do you want? 240 mm. I prefer a blade height of around 50mm

4)How much do you want to spend? Max $350

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction? I've owned carbon knives and enjoy the maintenance .

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle? Wa - Japanese handle.

7)What are your main knife/knives now? Western chef knife, Veg cleavers, a beater santuko.

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair? Good skills, I have cooked professionally in my 20's

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter? I am a chopper and Push / pull... pinch grip far forward

10)Do you know how to sharpen? Yes, I love to sharpen.

Thanks!
taz575

Re: Kiritsuke Recommendation

Post by taz575 »

Most Kiritsuke knives are gyuto's with a K tip, not a single bevel traditional Kiritsuke. I found one on the site that is in stock, but it's a shorter blade height (38mm at the heel): https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kidaki24wh1.html

Some out of stock ones, but again, shorter blade heights:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/sawh2ki24.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ki24kibl2.html

I think you would be hard pressed to find a single bevel kiritsuke in a tall blade?

As for 210mm vs 240mm, it depends on personal preferences. Shorter board, smaller space, go with a 210mm. If you have the room and board size, go with a 240mm. I find with a pinch grip, a 240mm gives me a longer flat spot at the heel and overall cutting edge than a 210mm does because I am not always using the very heel of the knife to cut since my finger is above that area.
Damon216

Post by Damon216 »

Thanks Taz. I might actually go with a 170 or 180 mm Bunka to get the height. I found a nice Gyuto and awaiting it's arrival . Got a 210 - which was all was avail from that particular maker.
Damon216

Post by Damon216 »

Thanks Taz. I might actually go with a 170 or 180 mm Bunka to get the height. I found a nice Gyuto and awaiting it's arrival . Got a 210 - which was all was avail from that particular maker.