Need Help Deciding on an Artisan Knife

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
camfuego

Need Help Deciding on an Artisan Knife

Post by camfuego »

1) I am semi-pro. I'm just starting out in the culinary industry

2)I'm looking for a gyuto

3) preferably 240mm

4)The max amount I would like to spend is $250

5) I prefer stainless AND/OR stainless clad over carbon

6)I prefer Japanese handle

7) I currently own an 8 in Tojiro DP Kiritsuke and 8 in Miyabi Evolution Chef's Knife

8) My knife skills are good

9)I'm a chopper AND push and pull cutter

10) I'm very new to sharpening

I've been doing my research for a couple days now and the top 3 knives of my choice that I would like are:
- Makoto Sakura SG2 240mm Gyuto
- Anryu KU Damascus Gyuto 240mm
- Makoto White #2 Gyuto 240mm
...These knives stand out to me the most for their beauty and also their performances in the kitchen as listed in the many reviews for each of those knives that I've read. I'm only 20, but I've solidified my choice in this culinary profession, and I want to obtain the tools that will help me get my name out there. I'm new to the scene as I don't own a carbon steel blade, but I tend to ALWAYS wipe my knives down after use on habit, even though the knives I own right now are stainless steel. I'm not buying any more knives at the moment, but I look forward to considering your recommendations in the near future as I get myself more involved in the culinary industry. If you're reading this...

Mahalo from Hawaii!!!

- Cameron
taz575

Re: Need Help Deciding on an Artisan Knife

Post by taz575 »

Makoto Sakura SG2 would get my vote! SG2 will take and hold a nice edge and his grinds are wonderful! The Richmond AS Laser series was done by Makoto and remains one of my favorite series, followed by the Tanaka Sekiso series.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi there Cam ~ a couple more for you to consider, both with good family heritage.

Moritaka AS Gyuto 240mm: yes this is a carbon steel (AS) and yes it's clad with soft iron, but neither of these should put you off. The AS is not as reactive as blue or whites and forms a good patina that also helps. Also the soft iron cladding has a kurouchi finish which again is pretty non-reactive. It's a great knife and does everything well and these guys go back some 800 years and they still make katana (Japanese samurai swords) just to keep that heritage alive.

Kurosaki R2 Hammered Gyuto 240mm: Kurosaki also have a good heritage and this blade is made by Yu Kurosaki (Makoto's brother) and they both make great blades.The only downer if you like is that it's a little above your price range. Hammered SS finish plus R2 core, hard to go past. The blade road grinds are just superb ad the grinding behind the edge is very fine. Even at nearly 3mm thick above the heel, this knife performs up there with the best of my lasers plus the addition of improved food release.

I have the two knives mentioned above plus the Makoto and for me & my needs I would go for the Kurosaki R2.

HTH
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

I like TAZ's SG2 comment and I like Grant'sr R2 Kurosaki pick. I also like the Anryu you picked out on your own but --- good luck finding one. Anryu-san's retiring soon and when Mark gets one in they sell out in minutes.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Rob, Anryu San IS retired. Ikeda San ( his nephew) has been doing the knives for a little while now. They now have etched logos instead of chiseled kanji but are pretty much the same since Ikeda San was the sharpener for a while. At least I think I have this right…

All that being said, they are great knives and are very hard to come by.
camfuego

Post by camfuego »

taz575 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:56 am Makoto Sakura SG2 would get my vote! SG2 will take and hold a nice edge and his grinds are wonderful! The Richmond AS Laser series was done by Makoto and remains one of my favorite series, followed by the Tanaka Sekiso series.
Thanks for the fast reply! I'll surely consider this.
camfuego

Post by camfuego »

Radar53 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:53 pm Hi there Cam ~ a couple more for you to consider, both with good family heritage.

Moritaka AS Gyuto 240mm: yes this is a carbon steel (AS) and yes it's clad with soft iron, but neither of these should put you off. The AS is not as reactive as blue or whites and forms a good patina that also helps. Also the soft iron cladding has a kurouchi finish which again is pretty non-reactive. It's a great knife and does everything well and these guys go back some 800 years and they still make katana (Japanese samurai swords) just to keep that heritage alive.

Kurosaki R2 Hammered Gyuto 240mm: Kurosaki also have a good heritage and this blade is made by Yu Kurosaki (Makoto's brother) and they both make great blades.The only downer if you like is that it's a little above your price range. Hammered SS finish plus R2 core, hard to go past. The blade road grinds are just superb ad the grinding behind the edge is very fine. Even at nearly 3mm thick above the heel, this knife performs up there with the best of my lasers plus the addition of improved food release.

I have the two knives mentioned above plus the Makoto and for me & my needs I would go for the Kurosaki R2.

HTH
Thanks for these really good recommendations! I'll consider these as well.
camfuego

Post by camfuego »

stevem627 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:58 pm Rob, Anryu San IS retired. Ikeda San ( his nephew) has been doing the knives for a little while now. They now have etched logos instead of chiseled kanji but are pretty much the same since Ikeda San was the sharpener for a while. At least I think I have this right…

I didn't even know he's ALREADY retired. I was really looking forward to be proud of owning an Anryu knife. That being said, where would you find any of Ikeda-san's knives?
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Ikeda is his nephew and has taken over the business. Anryu knives are still being made - just by Ikeda. I believe he made knives under his own name for a while.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

stevem627 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:58 pm Rob, Anryu San IS retired. Ikeda San ( his nephew) has been doing the knives for a little while now. They now have etched logos instead of chiseled kanji but are pretty much the same since Ikeda San was the sharpener for a while. At least I think I have this right…

I knew the baton was being passed. Just didn't realize the handoff had fully taken place.

I have newer and older. No drop-off in quality I can find.