Sujihiki Options?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
FeelTheBurr

Sujihiki Options?

Post by FeelTheBurr »

First thanks for those who have left responses. They have been most helpful.

Next step in decision refinement. I like thin blades, but a med weight has its merits. These are the sijihiki's of interest: I welcome any input or suggestions.

Kohetsu AS Western Sujihiki 270mm $175-nice western handle, really good price
Masakage Shimo Sujihiki 270mm. $288- love it, over budget
Kohetsu Aogami Super Sujihiki 270mm $200 -really nice, good price, very interested
Kohetsu Blue #2 Nashiji Sujihiki 270mm $179- good looking, good steel, nice price, sticking issues?
Anryu Kurouchi Damascus Sujihiki 270mm $210- good
Masakage Yuki Sujihiki 270mm $235 really like it, little pricey, seems to meet my criteria best. Possibly. #1 option
Kajiwara Blue #2 Damascus Sujihiki 270mm. $195. Really like, nice looking, good steel, good price, don't know anything else about it or brand, poss. #2 option
Anryu Blue #2 Hammered Sujihiki 270mm. $260- really nice, a bit pricey
Anryu AS Sujihiki 270mm. $260- really nice, a bit pricey

If I really want I can afford any of these but closer to $200+ a bit, the better

Thanks
Robstreperous

Re: Sujihiki Options?

Post by Robstreperous »

Nothing's for free. Price, Performance, Edgeholding.... pick any two.

The Anryus are great knives. Good luck finding one.
The only Yuki I've tried is my bunka ... which I love but it's definitely not thin.
The Kohetsus tend to be excellent values although I've never tried or read much about their sujis.
Not sure about the Shimos. I have one of their nakiris which is whisper thin. I had one of their gyutos which was not. Also the Damascus on both can be a little draggy and requires maintenance if you want to maintain that beautiful pattern.

Not sure what I'd do in your case .... If I could find any of the Anryus and could spring for the extra couple of bucks I'd jump on them. Failing that probably the AS Western Kohetsu since I don't mind western handles and it looks like a bargain.

Funny story. Several years back I found myself needing a suji for one reason or another. Event was headed my way and my Henckels was going to need serious work on the edge .... that I couldn't do myself at the time.

I'd settled on the Anryu hammered. But it just wasn't coming back in stock. I was out of time so I went for a Takeda classic which was way more money than I swore I'd ever spend on a knife. Five / six I don't know how many years later it's one of the best investments I've made in cutlery. Really opened my eyes to what was possible and the knife's appreciated in value. Not that I'll ever sell it.

Yet even after all these years and the fantastic experience I've had with my Takeda..... I still find myself wondering about that Anryu hammered suji.

Good luck... Waiting to see where you settle.
Radar53

Re: Sujihiki Options?

Post by Radar53 »

Robstreperous wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:17 am Nothing's for free. Price, Performance, Edgeholding.... pick any two.
Rob, I like the way you think 8-) 8-) 8-)

The inevitable trade-off very nicely captured. Thanks
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!