Sinker Cypress

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Sinker Cypress

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I’m reading this book called The Dinosaur Artist and one of the guys the author follows dives rivers in Florida for fossils but also finds old sunken logs made of Cypress. This stuff looks like it would make some sweet knife handles! I just emailed one of the businesses that is still selling these logs that are cut into planks. I have no idea if they’ll sell me wood blocks but I thought it would be fun to try.

Here is an example of the wood they sell in a Japanese restaurant. https://brunerlumber.com/shiawase-japanese-restaurant

I’ll update this if they say yes.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Bensbites

Re: Sinker Cypress

Post by Bensbites »

It’s definitely a thing on certain Facebook groups that are just for selling figured wood. I may have a source for a limited quantity, let me know if you want me to look into it for you
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

It looks interesting. I believe they offered a sample for $30 that included shipping. Cypress is pretty easy to work with, but I’m not sure what being under water for 100 years does to it.
delmar

Post by delmar »

In its natural form, cypress is not dimensionally stable. It moves, shifts and has some minor cracking. I just installed a 500sf deck of it in the fall. Doesn't seem to twist, though. And it lasts a long, long time. There is big money in reclaimed cypress siding, and plenty of stuff over 100 years old with weathering, but minimal deterioration.

The bogged cypress likely has some preservation on it from being sunk for so long. Would be interested in testing out.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Looks like a very attractive wood for something like a magnetic wall rack or other type of countertop knife storage too, something I desperately need.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

delmar wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:50 pm In its natural form, cypress is not dimensionally stable. It moves, shifts and has some minor cracking. I just installed a 500sf deck of it in the fall. Doesn't seem to twist, though. And it lasts a long, long time. There is big money in reclaimed cypress siding, and plenty of stuff over 100 years old with weathering, but minimal deterioration.

The bogged cypress likely has some preservation on it from being sunk for so long. Would be interested in testing out.
Looks like it would definitely need some type of stabilization, but certainly has some character. Just a quick glance around; the stuff certainly fetches a premium.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Wjhunt wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:26 pm It looks interesting. I believe they offered a sample for $30 that included shipping. Cypress is pretty easy to work with, but I’m not sure what being under water for 100 years does to it.
Yeah I noticed that too. I’m going to buy a sample box and stabilize some and see how it turns out.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

I've read that the value in sinker logs is due to their usually being old growth logs, a scarce resource now. I wouldn't think cedar would be a good knife handle wood though.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

XexoX wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:42 am I've read that the value in sinker logs is due to their usually being old growth logs, a scarce resource now. I wouldn't think cedar would be a good knife handle wood though.
Sugi cedar is a great curly wood that can be stabilized. It depends on the cedar.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

It must be a real thing. Look ... Michigan's even regulating "sinker wood".

https://www.heraldpalladium.com/state-n ... d8650.html
delmar

Post by delmar »

There is/was a reality show about it a few years back. A lot of wood out of Florida lakes and various bayous.
Dawgfish

Post by Dawgfish »

I would think cedar would tend to be pretty soft. Even old growth. Fir, if old growth, seems to be much harder than what you can get now. What we see here on the west coast.