Welcome To Chefknivestogo Forums! Introduce Yourself!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Ldopa

Re: Welcome To Chefknivestogo Forums!

Post by Ldopa »

Hi, I am Tom. I felt strange posting on here without any introduction.

I am completely new. I don't have any japanese knives at all but want to start collecting. I heard so many good things about them but never have tried one. I don't have any friends who are chefs. I would not say I am a cook but I don't mind helping my wife with preparation. We have a Henkel Pro S knife set (15+ years) at the moment.

I am learning a lot from this forum. I will be a customer very soon. I am thinking with starting with a bunka. I like to learn how to sharpen properly so that is going to be fun for me. So a lot more reading and questions to come.

Thanks for reading.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Welcome Tom.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Welcome Tom. You came to the right place. :)

As far as not knowing any chefs, stick around here and you will. Great people here. Very forthcoming with opinions and honest help to your questions.
tongas

Post by tongas »

Hi everyone

Got my first gyutos recently , after years of using old Sabs as home cook. Here to learn more about japanese knifes .
Bear007

Post by Bear007 »

Hi all, this will be my first post, long time lurker.
I'm not a professional cook, I used to help out my mom in the restaurant part time after school doing the prep, breaking down the prime rib and de-boning a couple of cases of chickens a week along with a few other odd jobs, that was a long long time ago. I have always maintained my attraction to kitchen knives, I still have moms old Henckels and a pile of other German knives, just recently I have gotten into Japanese knives, their edge holding ability is amazing. I just want to say thanks to Mark and this forum for all your help, my biggest problem now is this new addiction that's got a hold on me, it does get expensive. :mrgreen:
kw2336

Post by kw2336 »

Thanks for the resource, new to Japanese knives and I look forward to learning as much as possible
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

Hello! First post after lurking for about 3-4 mo. Became interested in upgrading knives about 2 years ago after realizing our Wusthof chef’s knife was better for some things than others. I got a Mac MBK95 at that time and enjoy using it (and also enjoy keeping all the knives razor sharp) so much that it has me cooking more. I am interested in rounding out our kitchen knives and trying not to become a collector per se.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Welcome everyone! Thanks for visiting. Please ask questions. We enjoy talking to new customers and forum members.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
slobound

Post by slobound »

Bear007 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:43 pm Hi all, this will be my first post, long time lurker.
I'm not a professional cook, I used to help out my mom in the restaurant part time after school doing the prep, breaking down the prime rib and de-boning a couple of cases of chickens a week along with a few other odd jobs, that was a long long time ago. I have always maintained my attraction to kitchen knives, I still have moms old Henckels and a pile of other German knives, just recently I have gotten into Japanese knives, their edge holding ability is amazing. I just want to say thanks to Mark and this forum for all your help, my biggest problem now is this new addiction that's got a hold on me, it does get expensive. :mrgreen:
Welcome Bear! Love your avatar! Hello from another egger & knife nerd.

- slo
-- Garrick
Intension

Post by Intension »

Hello again everyone! I'm not sure I've been around since I got a job working with Nmiller a few years ago (4 or 5 now? Time flies) - I took a brief hiatus from the indurstry and have now found my way into a cool situation using my skills and spending time with my 3 year old son (he can already identify half a dozen wild edibles)! I'm working at a new market in St. Paul, working at and doing chef work for a store that specializes in cultivating mushrooms on site and selling wild foraged food! I invite any of you to come on down if you are in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area!

Also, I have money to play with knives again. Finally get to work with my Masamoto KS a bunch more!
"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat,
the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."
-F.P.
glwhit

Post by glwhit »

New to this forum. Been away from knives as a hobby for a while but getting back into it. Home cook. Nothing expensive but I have quite a few knives. Kind of have a thing for cleavers - haha. Besides the cleavers, seems the knives I use most are a Tojiro DP gyuto and a Kasumi honesuki.
- Garrick
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Hello everyone,

Ronnie here. I'm a longtime home cook, and food & beverage enthusiast based in Chicago. A friend of mine who posts here, gastro gnome, recommended this site and these forums to me and after reading here for the last hour, I'm most grateful that he did. I spent a few years as a Manager at the eGullet.com forums back in the early to mid 2000's and for the last several years, have run a Chicago-based culinary chat forum, LTHForum.com, which has been around since 2004.

I'm at the very beginning of learning how to sharpen my own knives, which is why my friend suggested I stop by (after he provided an awesome, hands-on tutoring session earlier this week). I have many kitchen knives, mostly of the mass-produced, factory variety but there are a few gems in my collection, too (e.g. a Bob Kramer Bladesmiths 10" Chef that my wife surprise-gifted me in 1999). My main goal is to learn more about steel and sharpening, and develop my abilities on my lesser knives until I'm confident enough to take on my more prized blades. I've reached the point where I feel it's the next logical step in my culinary skill development. Yes, there are places in town where I can get them sharpened professionally but with some of my blades that I'm not ready to sharpen on my own, I can't bear the thought of seeing them sharpened on a grinder, either.

I've read the n00b question list and it's quite helpful. I'll continue to absorb what I can here as I embark on the next part of my journey.

Thanks, to all of you who've made these forums so information-rich!

=R=
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

Hello; I'm aporigine.

I'm not a pro, and I cook a fairly limited range of foods. But I have a knife fetish. I have several German blades (my first serious knife was a Henckels 9-inch chef which still lives in my actives drawer) and maybe ten J-knives by now.
I also have a full set of stones (primarily Shapton and Naniwa) and have been "learning the ropes" on them.

Fair warning: I am here to ask off-the-wall questions which my admittedly inconsistent Web-mining skills have not answered.

My first Japanese knife (not counting my Al Mar folder I had since the 80s) was a Masahiro santoku in "MSC-3000" (same as silver 3/ginsan if I'm not mistaken). It introduced me to the wonderful glassy-hard and very finely sharpenable Japanese way of doing steel.

Currently in heavy rotation:
Yoshihiro Yauji white2/damascus 270mm yanagi ... can't get the bevel (blade road) to lie flat on the stone(s) for love or money, but it is a pleasure to use on fish and cleaned-up rib roast.
Takagi honyaki in blue (No.2?) undergoing a ̶r̶̶u̶̶i̶̶n̶̶i̶̶n̶̶g̶ thinning program ... I'm making so many mistakes, but I saw a thinned one and must try and succeed or really fail) Original geometry was "thick and wedgy"; as I'm thinning it it is beginning to slide through food. And the edge it'll take is new in my experience.
Tojiro white #2 usuba (cured me of wondering how an usuba works ... not a knife I use much)
Kohetsu 270mm gyuto with a core of HAP40 steel ... whoa so sharp, and the knife slides through food so much better after I sanded it smoother.
a 150mm petty cored with ZDP-189, amazingly sharp and I can go for months without sharpening it. Which is good; it is the slowest-sharpening knife I've ever encountered. But WOW will it take and hold an edge.
Latest purchase: one of the reasons I'm here. I eBayed a Takayuki honyaji takohiki. 330 mm, mirror finish, supposedly blue #2. Oh does it ever glide through salmon! But there is NO engraving on the knife, and I cannot begin to read the calligraphy on the box. Did.does Takayuki make honyaki blades in blue steel and not engrave them? I'v been reading about etching methods to reveal a hamon, but am disinclined to dip this mirrored beauty in aggressive chemistry, since I doubt I could polish it back to form.
Newest purchase: Takayuki VG10/damascus hammered blade steak knife. Once I put an edge on it more to my liking, it has become a kitchen ninja! New killer app: skinning raw salmon I've been using as test articles for the sashimi knives. I like VG10.

In short, hello! ~waves~
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Welcome aborigine.
Looking forward to your off -the -wall posts.
We always like those around here.
That is a really interesting line up you have.
Takayuki do use Aogami steel for their Hionyakis. It is quite common for these kind of knives to be free of kanji engravings. Especially if they have been made by a smith who does not advertise his name when making for brands other than his own or others is contracted to. For example...Genkai does this on most of his blades. But I think this is unusual in the case of Takayuki blades. I have seen them work with Tosa, Doi and a couple of the other Sakai smiths. But I have never seen one without the kanji.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

Thank you mauichef!

The takohiki is a wonder on fish. I'm relieved to know that it isn't disqualified.

I'm looking at my first post and smh at all the typos. Age ...
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
Ma_sha1

Post by Ma_sha1 »

Hi everyone, bought my first J knife, Yu Kurosaki gyuto from CKTG about 6 month ago, & started making custom handles & makeover my own knives. But I have been trying to resist registering on knife forums to avoid getting into another addiction...
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Ma_sha1 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:59 pm Hi everyone, bought my first J knife, Yu Kurosaki gyuto from CKTG about 6 month ago, & started making custom handles & makeover my own knives. But I have been trying to resist registering on knife forums to avoid getting into another addiction...
Oh well.......welcome to the forum...and the rabbit hole!
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

Ma_sha1 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:59 pm Hi everyone, bought my first J knife, Yu Kurosaki gyuto from CKTG about 6 month ago, & started making custom handles & makeover my own knives. But I have been trying to resist registering on knife forums to avoid getting into another addiction...
Hi Ma_sha1, looks like we both succumbed
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
Ma_sha1

Post by Ma_sha1 »

Thanks for the welcome guys :)
Willem208

Post by Willem208 »

Just want to introduce myself here. I am a young guy who likes to cook, sharpen knives and use knives. I recently got gifted a set of Japanese water stones and have been sharpening for quite a while before this. I hope to learn a lot here and maybe drop a comment here or there.
Thanks
Willem