Smashing/crushing garlic cloves?

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
Xuanfusion

Re: Smashing/crushing garlic cloves?

Post by Xuanfusion »

STPepper9 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:28 am When you use a san mai knife, be thoughtful about where are you put pressure, instead of using the handle to push down or slap, position the knife over the garlic and use your other hand in a fist and tap down directly above the garlic so you don’t cause lateral strain on the knife blade. If you do cause the knife to bend it should be easy to bend back. if you are doing a lot of garlic however, this would be a good time to consider using a beater.
Also, check out Martin Yan technique if you’ve never seen it.
I like it so much doing like Martin Yan ! Thanks for sharing
timc247

Post by timc247 »

honestly in the kitchen, i slice off the root end of garlic cloves, put them in between 2 bowls so the lips are touching each other and shake it like hell!
CharlieHustle

Post by CharlieHustle »

throw in some salt and turn that garlic into a paste
theejlee

Post by theejlee »

If you’re not making paste and need whole cloves for slicing or microplaning, soak the cloves in hot water for 15 minutes. They slide right out.
Tostadas

Post by Tostadas »

Jars and handle butts work well. It would also be fun to have a dedicated rock for garlic smashing
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I have a bench scraper I always keep close that I use.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
stewssy

Post by stewssy »

Just make sure you have the edge facing down and away, and don’t smash your knife into the board
Dzieke

Post by Dzieke »

I have been using the Jacques Pepin technique with my Japanese knives for years. Never ever thought about bending the knife. Never ever bent the knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y5h1pDHhzs&t=12s
KnightKnightForever

Post by KnightKnightForever »

salemj wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:02 pm Sounds like you've never had a problem before and that you're already mindful. I think the key is to always set the knife on the garlic before applying any type of pressure (as described above)—the key here is that you know for sure that neither the tip of the knife nor the handle will not touch the board when you apply pressure (obviously, the knife is only prone to bend if you apply to opposite forces at two different points, so as long as the knife is only in contact with something at one point – the garlic – and the handle and/or tip are not in danger of hitting the board, you should be fine giving it a vigorous tap with a fist).

I second JMC's comment above: when in doubt, just use a bench scraper—always good to have one near the cutting board, anyway, as they also work better for scraping, moving, and lifting larger quantities of ingredients off the board. Otherwise, as has been said, applying the pressure directly over the garlic

I tend not to mash garlic or make pastes using knives as a home cook. It is a great and classic technique (and I by no means want to suggest those like Isboogy should stop), but I'm just not comfortable doing it with most of my Japanese knives with at-home quantities, not least because I don't like mincing salt with my edges and I'm not comfortable mushing my blade on its side when the edges are sharp. If I need a past, I use a garlic press or the blender, or even just my bench scraper.
I've been cooking for almost 20 years and I've literally never heard of the bench scraper idea. As I get older and accumulate more knives that I love and want to keep in good condition, I have to say that is genius! Thank you so much
- Chef Chris
MattinPA

Post by MattinPA »

I hope this isn't heresy but I use German-style knives for the rough stuff. :o They're made to take it. If that makes me a bad person I'll stop. But like the previous poster said, if you want to be banging the thing (that's how I do garlic, the flat-side bang, it's quicker) at any rate use a beater. That's why they're called "beaters." ;) A leaf-spring mono steel special from Southeast Asia would be good.
MattinPA

Post by MattinPA »

I've been cooking for almost 20 years and I've literally never heard of the bench scraper idea. As I get older and accumulate more knives that I love and want to keep in good condition, I have to say that is genius! Thank you so much
[/quote]

Bench scrapers are versatile and handy and honestly the more I pay for a knife the more I figure I shouldn't use it for things knives aren't made to do. If you knowingly take a chance and damage high-end gear you really like, you don't feel very good about yourself.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

KnightKnightForever wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:17 amI've been cooking for almost 20 years and I've literally never heard of the bench scraper idea. As I get older and accumulate more knives that I love and want to keep in good condition, I have to say that is genius! Thank you so much
You started cooking at age 6?
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
paul6001

Post by paul6001 »

I'm a big believer in crushing garlic. Jacques Pepin says that it blends two oils found in garlic and I'd never disagree with the master. My dream in life is to mince garlic like Jacques. I'm not bad but I can't rock like him.

I mostly do this crushing with my fancy 240mm Japanese knife. I just use whatever is in my hand and that knife is usually in my hand. Smart? Probably not. But I've been doing it for years without a problem. (Jinx. I'll probably break it tomorrow.) As long as you always make sure that there's clearance for the handle, I think you'll be all right. At the end of the day, you're holding a big piece of steel in your hand. Garlic is outmatched.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Luckily CKTG has a CKTG Bench Scraper in stock right now for all your garlic smashing needs. Only $5.95! It is even marked off in inches (sorry rest of the world, not in CM)!

Sadly, the video in the first post is no longer there, as the account has been terminated. :cry:
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.