Rust on cast iron

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
turko

Rust on cast iron

Post by turko »

I found some rust on the edges of one of my cast iron's I hadn't used in a while (pic attached). Online resources seem to be mixed on the safety of using it and if to fix or not. What is the communities general consensus on this? How would one go about fixing this, if neccesary? Steel wool and reseasoning?

bruin

Re: Rust on cast iron

Post by bruin »

I’ve fixed this in the past by simply repeatedly re-seasoning. Over heat keep adding and wiping out neutral oil until it comes out clean and the pan looks back to normal.
Last edited by bruin on Mon May 18, 2020 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

That doesn't look that bad at all. Scrub that one area good with a green scrubby and then do as bruin said above and you'll be fine. I wouldn't go through the hassle of stripping and reasoning over that.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
turko

Post by turko »

Thanks guys.

The result after several reseasoning sessions in the oven:
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Oh yeah! Very nice.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I have some old Griswold pans I bought at a garage sale years ago - all quite rusty, so I think I paid $1 for the lot. Took them home and dunked them in vinegar diluted with water, kept checking every half hour till all rust was loose and scrubbed with green scotch brite. Re-seasoned and they are all quite nice
turko

Post by turko »

Yeah I watched some vids about stripping the pan with lye for the seasoning and then vinegar for the rust. Just wasn't sure if all of that was warranted for what I had. Looking better than new now though.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Turned out very nice! If it gets worse, I use a wirebrush and a variable speed electric drill. Brass is best. Then I reseason with peanut oil and lots of heat.

---
Ken