What do you think of this?

Moderator: Bensbites

Bensbites

What do you think of this?

Post by Bensbites »

I cnc engraved a giraffe pattern into scales, then resin cast the voids. As time allows I will teach myself to do wood inlays.
My backlog is months long I since I only get a few hours a week in the shop.

atang

Re: What do you think of this?

Post by atang »

I like the concept though the giraffe pattern isn’t something I would personally install. Resin casting wood is a great idea. Maybe if you had some wood with imperfections or cracks filled in for a more natural appearance to contrast with the wood. I do love the intense colors like orange, reds, blues, maybe even something in a neon scheme? Definitely excited to see what you can do with the inlays. Great work👍🏻
smcmaui

Post by smcmaui »

Thatʻs interesting, although the giraffe parent is not my cup of tea, I concur that filling imperfections/cracks in the wood with colored resin would be cool. :D
delmar

Post by delmar »

There are a good amount of open burls out there. I just cast voids on 4 this evening with mica colored epoxy. Love experimenting. Ben, that looks stellar. Great job.
timos

Post by timos »

Agree with the others about casting natural shapes as opposed to machining them. a little bit is ok, but too much and it kinda turns into a cheesy 80's "look what computers can do" kinda thing but, i gotta admire the delicate nature of that machining , in know thats not easy to get right! and you did pull it off well.

Id be more inclined to see what you can do with more geometric patterns, fine details, the kind of stuff only a CNC can do.
Id love to see a mc escher type tessellation thing going . BTW Ben im massively enjoying the mag bar you made me with my logo on it. It really turned out fantastic.
I am envisioning a whole mag bar with cnc engraved and cast details.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

timos wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:06 pm Agree with the others about casting natural shapes as opposed to machining them. a little bit is ok, but too much and it kinda turns into a cheesy 80's "look what computers can do" kinda thing but, i gotta admire the delicate nature of that machining , in know thats not easy to get right! and you did pull it off well.

Id be more inclined to see what you can do with more geometric patterns, fine details, the kind of stuff only a CNC can do.
Id love to see a mc escher type tessellation thing going . BTW Ben im massively enjoying the mag bar you made me with my logo on it. It really turned out fantastic.
I am envisioning a whole mag bar with cnc engraved and cast details.
Thank you!