WTS: 255mm Ikeda KS AS suminagashi gyotu

This is a free service where you can buy and sell knives and sharpening equipment and kitchen tools. There is no fee for posting items but we require that you've made at least 30 posts on our forum before you post something for sale.
Forum rules
As stated in the description, we want to get to know you better before allowing new forum members to post items for sale. You will not be able to create topics until you reach a 30 post minimum. Please take your time and contribute to the forum discussions in a substantive way. SPAM posting to reach 30 posts is considered very bad form and could get you booted off these forums.

NOTE: If you have an item for sale and you are located outside the Continental U.S. please state your location so the buyer knows what to expect in a purchase transaction.
delmar

WTS: 255mm Ikeda KS AS suminagashi gyotu

Post by delmar »

4 of 4.

I ordered some customs recently and a Kono from Mark at CKTG and made the foolish mistake of counting the number of 210-240mm gyutos I had. The number was a bit obscene. I've got a number of knives that I have barely used, and I think it is time to pass them along. On the block over the next couple of days:

- 275mm W2 Carter Hopkins with custom handle and saya (already posted)
- Hunter Valley Blades 234mm x 54mm B2 forged finish, ironwood handle
- 243mm x 53mm Steelworks (Britton Steele) diondamascus clad CuMai with Nitro-V core, tschumi kuruochi top, stunning mammoth tooth handle
- 241mm x 49mm AS Moritaka gyuto, stock handle.

Pondering my Ikeda KS AS suminagashi gyuto with Pham custom koa handle...if you have interest, reach out.

Up next:

Maker: Ikeda

Blade: Aogami Super core, suminagashi finish, reactive cladding, stunning hand chiseled kanji on left side of blade

Dimensions: 255mm x 49mm

Weight: 7.23oz, 205g

Taper: 3.3mm above heel, 2.0mm midway down, 1.5mm about 2cm from tip. Nice distal taper, phenomenal tip.

Profile: tad bit of flat at rear (maybe 20mm or so), then gentle KS/Sab/French curve

Grind: See choil photo. Pretty lightweight knife.

Handle: Duy Pham. Curly Koa, black spacers, mammoth spacer, figured fig maple ferrule. A bit of sanding marks on one bevel. Can't really see unless the light shines just right.

Condition/comments: This knife has seen some decent use. It was sent to Ken Schwartz (RIP my friend) not too long before he passed, and he did a great edge on it. Since then, maybe 45-60 min of use. Edge is clean and still has a good bite. I’m really torn on this one. Was one of my favorite knives, but haven’t been using KS/French/Sab profiles much. Ikeda stopped making this knife a number of years ago. Seems to be pretty busy with Anryu / Masakage / Shibata? Note: there is a bit of scratching just above the handle ferrule on the neck of the blade, a few leftover sanding marks when cleaning up the ferrule of the handle. Could easily be removed with a bit of sanding, but doesn’t bother me so I haven’t

I apologize for the photos - a photographer, I am not. If you need more, PM me your text # and I'll send them.

$500.00/obo.

Venmo or PayPal accepted. Insured for purchase price. CONUS please. Canadians, PM me. I've had good and not so good experiences. We'd need to talk and workout logistics so it's easier.

ButlerHoosierChef

Re: WTS: 255mm Ikeda KS AS suminagashi gyotu

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

Is this Ikeda still available? Hope all is well.
delmar

Post by delmar »

It is. Sorry for slow response. Rarely get on forum these days. PM me.
delmar

Post by delmar »

UPDATE: I will split half sale with Maui relief efforts.
salemj

Post by salemj »

I have one of these knives. The longer I live with it, the happier I am that I own it (I also thought about selling mine on several occasions, but not for lack of contentment). I love using it to cut protein, especially grilled and crusty protein (I keep a coarser edge on it, which it takes like a champ). Still one of the best bang-for-the buck knives I've purchased, and it solidified my respect for Ikeda as a smith. GLWS.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

delmar wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:54 pm UPDATE: I will split half sale with Maui relief efforts.
Mate...You are the best! Mahalo!!!!!!! I hope that someone steps up to the plate!
JahRidley

Post by JahRidley »

Hello,
How much are you asking for the Moritaka gyuto?
Thank you,
Jonathan
delmar

Post by delmar »

Moritaka long gone....