How to identify unknown Yanagiba?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Frozenbarb

How to identify unknown Yanagiba?

Post by Frozenbarb »

ImageHey guys, I am new here and am looking for some advice. I was giving a knife by my friend with no information on it. The only paperwork was it was purchased on eBay. It was labeled as Ikeda Yoshikazu Migaki Ginsan 270mm. It has no identifying marks on the blade itself. Does anyone recognize the knife or at least the tang or handle work?
Attachments
IMG_8981.jpeg
IMG_8982.jpeg
IMG_8983.jpeg
IMG_8984.jpeg
Last edited by Frozenbarb on Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
Jeff B

Re: How to identify unknown Yanagiba?

Post by Jeff B »

Your pictures aren't showing up. If there is no kanji or other marks on the blade I can confidently guarantee you that it is not a knife by "Yoshikazu Ikeda."
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Frozenbarb

Post by Frozenbarb »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am Your pictures aren't showing up. If there is no kanji or other marks on the blade I can confidently guarantee you that it is not a knife by "Yoshikazu Ikeda."
Hey, thank you for the prompt reply, I had to fix the photos and reuploaded them. Let me know what you think. Do you think I might find a kanji inside the tang?
Frozenbarb

Post by Frozenbarb »

Here are also we links I found that shows exactly the same or similar.

https://www.carousell.ph/p/yoshikazu-ik ... 0.1.1-1727

https://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/vi ... iba#p73903
This one has no Kanji as well. How would one tell if it is really a Ikeda
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

That is a nice looking knife. It does have the "Silver 3" kanji identifying it as Ginsan steel which is a positive. It is possible that there is some identifying makers kanji on the tang. The box is a universal that is used by many manufacturers and makers but it does have a Sakai City sticker on it which is where Yoshikazu Ikeda knives originate.
My virus protection won't let me open the carousell site so I'd be skeptical of anything I found there. As for the CKTG BST listing you found, I don't remember seeing that one but the seller is in good standing here. I'd have no reason to doubt what he claims the knife is but I would need more information about it to verify it.
Looking at the handle and install along with the rest of the blade it does look like a high quality knife. I personally have never seen a knife by this maker, in person or advertised, that wasn't marked on the blade. I do acknowledge though that I don't have the in depth knowledge to say that they absolutely don't exist. I can't say with a 100% certainty rather it is or isn't an authentic Yoshikazu Ikeda but I think the odds may be in your favor.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
atang

Post by atang »

There’s some that don’t have marks on the face of the blade. Could it possibly be one that didn’t pass QC for branding but was still sold? I can’t imagine it happens often but even CKTG sale page has products listed as seconds or defects with fair pricing. Rejected items at deep discount can still be good value buys.
Frozenbarb

Post by Frozenbarb »

atang wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 pm There’s some that don’t have marks on the face of the blade. Could it possibly be one that didn’t pass QC for branding but was still sold? I can’t imagine it happens often but even CKTG sale page has products listed as seconds or defects with fair pricing. Rejected items at deep discount can still be good value buys.
It is odd that it doesn’t have a mark on the face. Maybe he was blacksmithing it for a sharpener and it would be up to the sharpener or brand to put their own brand. I might have to remove the handle and check for a name on the tang.
Jeff B wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm That is a nice looking knife. It does have the "Silver 3" kanji identifying it as Ginsan steel which is a positive. It is possible that there is some identifying makers kanji on the tang. The box is a universal that is used by many manufacturers and makers but it does have a Sakai City sticker on it which is where Yoshikazu Ikeda knives originate.
My virus protection won't let me open the carousell site so I'd be skeptical of anything I found there. As for the CKTG BST listing you found, I don't remember seeing that one but the seller is in good standing here. I'd have no reason to doubt what he claims the knife is but I would need more information about it to verify it.
Looking at the handle and install along with the rest of the blade it does look like a high quality knife. I personally have never seen a knife by this maker, in person or advertised, that wasn't marked on the blade. I do acknowledge though that I don't have the in depth knowledge to say that they absolutely don't exist. I can't say with a 100% certainty rather it is or isn't an authentic Yoshikazu Ikeda but I think the odds may be in your favor.
Thank you very much for your input! I am slowly getting into the Japanese knife trade and realize this hobby is very expensive haha.
For sure this knife comes out of Sakai, I found a few similar knives with no marking beside Ginsan silver 3 on the flat side. I guess my only answer might be the tang if I ever want to remove it.
Frozenbarb

Post by Frozenbarb »

Found some more information if anyone is curious. The previous owner bought it from Tomohito (Lida tools) back in 2021 when he was still in good standings. He has gotten blades forged by Ikeda T in the pass with markings on the tang.

Guess I will remove the handle in the next few days or so just to make sure