Best Practices for Cleaning a Cast Iron Grill Pan

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Romain

Best Practices for Cleaning a Cast Iron Grill Pan

Post by Romain »

Hey everyone!

I recently acquired a cast iron grill pan and I'm loving the flavor it adds to my dishes. However, I'm a bit unsure about the best way to clean it without damaging the seasoning. Any seasoned cast iron users out there willing to share their tips and tricks for effectively cleaning a grill pan? I've heard conflicting advice and would love to hear from those with firsthand experience. Thanks in advance for the help!
Kerneldrop

Re: Best Practices for Cleaning a Cast Iron Grill Pan

Post by Kerneldrop »

I cook in it with a light brushed in layer of olive oil, then scrub it with a chain mail and water, put it in the oven at 350 to dry for maybe 10 mins. And repeat every day.

Main thing is whether you clean with soapy water or with an angle grinder or just a dry paper towel…just don’t let it rust.

Some folks treat them like they stole them and others treat them like they are heirlooms going to the Smithsonian. I got a $25 lodge so I beat on it. My antique pans never get used.

I used to restore cast iron pans for folks…I had a sand blast cabinet and an old school propane burner without a regulator and massive nozzles that would shoot blue flame 3’. It would bake them to the point of turning gray-white.
Last edited by Kerneldrop on Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

Some folks posted info on how they clean their cast iron recently in this thread: https://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/vi ... hp?t=17858

I'm inclined to think that avoiding soap is a good idea, but I haven't gotten into cast iron quite yet myself. I like the idea of just scrubbing it out and heating it up or boiling some water in it if necessary, that way you don't have soap constantly trying to strip your non-stick layer, relying on heat instead of soap to get it cleaned.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I also try to avoid soap but the more I read about that, the less I think it really matters. In any case, for the stuff that does eventually stick, I like to use coarse/kosher salt, warm water and a paper towel to gently abrade it away.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

This is a case where less is more. Do as little as possible so you can build up a good seasoning on the cast iron. I wash mine and use a light chain mail scrubber. I finish using a little scrub with a sponge using the rough side if there’s anything feel needs more scrubbing. Just rinse it out, dry it well with a paper towel, and at first use a very light layer of grape seed oil and heat the pan. Once you get it seasoned it only occasionally needs more seasoning.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

Chainmail and water. I use soap and sponge only if it really needs it which is almost never. Then dry it, wipe with a thin coat of oil, and heat until it looks dry again (oil is baked on). If you get after it while it's still hot this process is pretty easy and only takes a minute or two.

Here is a picture of the #12 skillet I use almost daily.
Attachments
PXL_20240426_190602192-min.jpg
Sam
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:26 pm …but the more I read about that, the less I think it really matters.
I think there’s a lot of exaggeration — especially online —where folks make their “seasoning” out to be like a non-stick diamond coating that’s harder than titanium and used on the underside of a space shuttle. I’ve never seen oil harden. The only reason it’s non-stick is there’s a layer of oil between the metal and the food.

I add the thinnest layer of oil with a pastry brush before each cooking and that puts that thin barrier layer between the food and the metal.

One good part of using soap is you can add fresh oil for the food barrier. I never use soap, but I would if I needed to.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

Kerneldrop wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:26 pm I think there’s a lot of exaggeration — especially online —where folks make their “seasoning” out to be like a non-stick diamond coating that’s harder than titanium and used on the underside of a space shuttle. I’ve never seen oil harden. The only reason it’s non-stick is there’s a layer of oil between the metal and the food.

I add the thinnest layer of oil with a pastry brush before each cooking and that puts that thin barrier layer between the food and the metal.

One good part of using soap is you can add fresh oil for the food barrier. I never use soap, but I would if I needed to.
Well, yes and no. Yes, if you get the pan hot then put some oil in then it will be pretty non stick. But also, if you use a fair amount of heat a thin layer of oil will bake on. For an average residential oven this will be something like 450 for an hour. I use the wok burner because it only takes a minute. Put the oil on, wipe off as much as possible so the coating is very thin, then make it hot until it starts smoking and soon it will look dry/matte. This creates a nice protective barrier that prevents my iron from rusting.
Sam
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

I use my cast iron almost daily, you will develop your own routine, no routine is right or wrong its personal preference.
I try to get to the pan while it is still hot this will definitely help.
After most cooks a green sponge and water will be fine, if there is still little deposits in the bottom, chainmail.
Yes I do use soap to clean my pans, not always, but when necessary, they are sealed/seasoned just rinse them well when finished.
No matter how I clean the skillet, I do this next;
I now put the skillet back on the stove I do not wipe the pan dry with a papertowel I do not want the residue in the pan, at this point the water in the pan should bead if properly sealed, heat on medium until the pan is dry, rub it with a little grapeseed oil, leave it on the heat until I see the very first wisp of smoke, shut the heat off and let it dry.
Every couple months or so depending on the usage, I will not only rub the inside but the exterior also with grapeseed oil and put it in a hot 450-500 degree oven for 45 minutes, shut the oven off and let it cool in the oven until room temperature.

I personally use a little oil as possible while cooking, I like my food caramelized for the flavor not fried so I may have a little more cleanup than others.
Enjoy your new toy...
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

As you can see, there are a variety of opinions on the topic.

Personally, I believe that once you have established your seasoning layer, you really have to abuse your pan to harm it. So I regularly wash with soap, dry on the stove, add more oil in a thin layer and buff it out.

And when I say "establish your seasoning layer," I don't mean after a year of babying it. I mean after an initial oven bake at 450, applying oil a few times.

Just use the pan. Don't let it sit in water. Clean it after cooking (however you see fit), and put it away dry. Repeat. You'll be fine.
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

For a new pan with a light coat of seasoning, I rinse the pan and scrub it with a scrub brush (no detergent). When it's mostly clean, I dry it with paper towels and then add a few drops of vegetable oil (nothing special; I use canola) and I pour in a bunch of table salt to use as an abrasive. Using a wad of paper towels, I scrub the salt and oil mixture until the pan seems total clean, then I dump out the salt and wipe the pan with paper towels until clean and no oil rubs off on the towel. That's it.

For a well-seasoned pan, you can wash it pretty much any way you want, as long as you avoid long soaks in water. Much of what I cook in my well-seasoned pan comes off with a brief soak (5 minutes) of hot water and a scrub brush. After drying, if the pan looks 'dry' I give it a super-thin coat of oil. Most often, that is not necessary. If needed, I don't hesitate to use detergent.
salemj

Post by salemj »

As above: my pan is well-seasoned. I use soap when necessary and the same nylon scrubber/sponge I use with everything else. I dry afterward, but do not coat with oil. No issues with rust my pan can go several weeks between uses on a regular basis. For me, the one big No-No is acid. I never cook with acid or acidic ingredients in it, including pan sauces. If I did, I'd be much more concerned about using soap and oiling after, etc.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

salemj wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:17 pm As above: my pan is well-seasoned. I use soap when necessary and the same nylon scrubber/sponge I use with everything else. I dry afterward, but do not coat with oil. No issues with rust my pan can go several weeks between uses on a regular basis. For me, the one big No-No is acid. I never cook with acid or acidic ingredients in it, including pan sauces. If I did, I'd be much more concerned about using soap and oiling after, etc.
I dry and coat with oil after every use, but like Joe above says, avoid acidic stuff at all costs as it will usually strip off your seasoning. Also a chain mail when needed but a light quick scrub with the green sponge and bit of dish soap never seems to hurt it.