210 mm vs. 240 mm for rocking

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Dzieke

210 mm vs. 240 mm for rocking

Post by Dzieke »

Just curious what you all think.

When I first started cooking, one of the people who had a big influence on me was Jacques Pepin. I thought he had extraordinary knife skills. His technique for mincing garlic is to first smash the clove and then rock the knife very fast, keeping the hand he is not holding the handle with toward the front of the blade.

Here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y5h1pDHhzs

When using this technique, I find it much easier using a longer knife, like a 240 mm; it seems easier to rock.

Has anyone else had the same experience?
Jason183

Re: 210 mm vs. 240 mm for rocking

Post by Jason183 »

profile is more important than length, you want to look for rounded profile with alot of belly for rocking(liked ZKramer). If you try with a flat profile(kirisuke), even if it’s 270mm, still not suitable for rocking.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Agreed but take the same knife like a Shibata AS ( excellent rocking profile) and given a decent size cutting board, I'll take the 240 for rocking any day.
David
Dzieke

Post by Dzieke »

Thanks for the tip about profile. I actually did not take that into consideration.

While a 240 mm length blade does work comfortably for me, a 210 mm length is easier to manage on a smaller board that is able to fit on limited counter space.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

It's all about the trigonometry. For the same heel to tip edge profile cutting for example a carrot, the angle of the knife to the board is larger for the 210 and smaller for the 240. This means that you have to bend your wrist more when using the 210, which is less comfortable (certainly if your cutting 20kgs of any vegetable). Obviously there are other considerations as above, like counter top space, that need to be built into any decision.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Dzieke

Post by Dzieke »

I think you have hit it on the head with your argument of trigonometry. I had not thought about the angle of the bent wrist. I have long arms and the 240 seemed more comfortable. Now I have a better idea why.

I have recently started perusing the Forum again. In a very short time, I have learned a lot by reading other forum members' comments. I I am thinking the Forum will be a great place to learn all kinds of new things.

Thank you to those who have commented.
sharksfan7

Post by sharksfan7 »

Radar53 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:15 pm It's all about the trigonometry. For the same heel to tip edge profile cutting for example a carrot, the angle of the knife to the board is larger for the 210 and smaller for the 240. This means that you have to bend your wrist more when using the 210, which is less comfortable (certainly if your cutting 20kgs of any vegetable). Obviously there are other considerations as above, like counter top space, that need to be built into any decision.
Here's a vid that demonstrates exactly what Grant is talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq37b1wG-yo
--Tony
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Brilliant video Tony. Exactly as Grant suggests. 240, even a 270 if you're a big rocker and have the real estate.
David