What did you cook today?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
billk1002

Re: What did you cook today?

Post by billk1002 »

Everything looks great, but dam that prime rib roast is over the top.
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I guess the holiday and holiday prep threw some parts of our routine off because I found myself having to re-up a coupla' of our weeklies today. First up, the weekly slaw . . .

Green Cabbage, Carrot & Hatsukokoro Komorebi Blue #2 Gyuto, 210mm

Next up, cucumber salad . . .

Persian Cucumbers, Salt & Hatsukokoro Komorebi Blue #2 Gyuto, 210mm

Ironically, neither of these were ready in time for tonight's dinner. They'll be ready later tonight and as usual, we'll eat them throughout the week.

Dinner was a quickie on the grill -- SausageFest!

Charcoal-Grilled Kielbasa & Cevaps

Plated Up
With leftover/reheated borlotto beans, which were even better today, homemade sauerkraut and homemade sambal (and couple of store-bought mustards)

Happy Monday! :)
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
ColonelJLloyd

Post by ColonelJLloyd »

Bob Z wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:12 pm Wow Pappardelle looks great, did you use a rolling attachment for the kitchenaid or hand roll?
Yes, KitchenAid roller. I recently bought one so I guess I my hand crank roller may find a new home.
ronnie_suburban wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:34 pm Damn, dude. Everything sounds and looks amazing but you completely buried the lead. Holy moly . . . that ham. OMFG!
You and I are cut from the same cloth.

I wish my local grocery had those cevapi.
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

Winter squash soup
This is a nice semi thick flavorful soup great on a cold night.
IMG_2858.jpg
In a 4 quart pan, shallot, garlic, onion, ginger, saute until soft
Add about 1lb of cubed yellow squash, 2 cups vegetable broth, salt and pepper to taste, at this point you should have barely enough liquid to cover and cook the squash
Cook the squash for about 30 minutes or until tender
Remove from the heat and add 1 cup apple sider
Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth
Add 1/4 cup sour cream and 1/4 cup half and half
Blend well again, salt and pepper to taste
Bill
ronnie_suburban

billk1002 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:34 pm Winter squash soup
This is a nice semi thick flavorful soup great on a cold night.
Nice, Bill! I know exactly what I'm doing with the next squash I get in my CSA box. That looks terrific.

Tonight, with temps in the low 60's, it was an easy night at the grill. Very strange to walk outside in late November and have it feel warm and humid . . .

Grilling
Before this, 4 total minutes directly over the coals, then about 5 minutes indirect/covered to finish them up. Still dialing in the outdoor/nighttime shooting. This one was easy. All it took was my camera, 2 led lights and my wife to hold both lights while I got the shot. Yeah, no problem! :lol:

Pork Shoulder Chops

Plated Up
With leftover/reheated Thanksgiving dressing & gravy and a blob of the weekly slaw.
=R=
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

Chilean Sea Bass, Quinoa, french fry string beans.

I marinate the sea bass in a teriyaki/ginger sauce for 4-6 hours, then put it on the grill in a fish basket on HIGH heat.
If you have never tried sea bass, I highly recommend it.
The string beans go under the broiler with EVOO, salt and garlic powder.
The quinoa was out of a box.
IMG_2860.jpg
Bill
trancher

Post by trancher »

Looks fantastic! Nice job.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Looks delicious Bill! I need to eat more fish...
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Jeff B wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:30 pm Looks delicious Bill! I need to eat more fish...
I agree x 2. Looks great and yes. In fact, that's one of my goals for the upcoming year . . . cook/eat more fish and seafood. It's a bit tougher to do here in the Midwest but it's still completely doable. I have some good sources, they're just a bit more work to hit.

Tonight, some reheated leftovers but also decided to make a spinach-feta casserole . . .

Mise En Place & Shibata AS Gyuto, 240mm
Evoo, black pepper, salt, fakey feta, dried oregano, wilted/squeezed spinach, Greek feta, fresh dill, sauteed mushrooms (evoo, 4x gelatinous pork stock, red wine, garlic, s&p), fresh/minced garlic, lemon (for juice) and sauteed onions.

First trip out on the Shibata. Feels quite long for a 240mm but I enjoyed using it a lot. Very precise and well-balanced. Glided through the horizontal cuts on the onion. The curve of the blade seemed to echo my slicing motion, which was cool. Needless to say, it had no problems with the mushrooms, even though I only used a small section of the blade for those. I didn't really get a chance to put that tip to use but that should come soon enough.

As for the casserole, I mixed everything together in the stand mixer, then baked it at 350F for about 75 minutes (first 30 minutes loosely tented with foil). Once it starts to bubble and brown, it's ready . . .

Spinach-Feta Casserole
Had this with some cold/leftover steak and the last of some reheated/leftover baked rotini.
=R=
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Had some Ramen tonight. I love making this once it turns cold.

Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
ronnie_suburban

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:23 pm Had some Ramen tonight. I love making this once it turns cold.
Yum . . . ramen! And with broccoli, no less (my personal favorite). Nooice! :)

Somehow, tonight's plans for a group of us to go out for dinner ended up with me cooking for all of us instead. Not that I minded but I did have to scramble a bit. Decided on spaghetti and meatballs, which seemed like it would be a crowd-pleaser . . .

Mise En Place & Shibata AS Gyuto, 240mm
Panko, ground beef & pork, grated parmigiano reggiano, minced parsely, salt, black pepper, eggs, whole milk and crushed garlic.
This is basically Lidia Bastianich's recipe with the small modification of adding 1T of milk per pound of meat. And rather than fry them, I put them on a baking sheet/grid, threw them in a 400F oven and convection-roasted them for about 20 minutes, rotating the pan about halfway through. After that, they looked something like this . . .

Par-Roasted Meatballs
Just used some jarred sauce (Rao's marinara) for these. Friends brought some wine, some bread and a few desserts, though I did break out the weekly slaw . . .

Plated Up
Spaghetti & Meatballs, weekly slaw.
=R=
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Mr. Suburban, this recipe? Or is it this recipe?
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ronnie_suburban

XexoX wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:12 pm Mr. Suburban, this recipe? Or is it this recipe?
The second one. Those are the meatballs. A very solid, reliable recipe.
=R=
ColonelJLloyd

Post by ColonelJLloyd »

Looks like a recent dinner in my house (right down to the sauce), Ronnie! Always a pleaser, right? I don't use a recipe for meatballs anymore, but most often sweat and chill a little fine dice of mirepoix to fold into them. I don't know why, I just like seeing little carrot flecks in my meatballs. And I really like whole fennel seeds in mine too. Last time I made a double batch, which is usually my move, put half of them on a sheet pan in the freezer overnight then vacuum sealed them to pull out on somewhat short notice in the near future. Sometimes I will use a pound of hot Italian sausage in lieu of plain ground pork and that works out well too.

A friend recently turned me on to the Rao's marinara (I'm not a huge marinara fan) and I really like it.

ronnie_suburban

ColonelJLloyd wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:05 pm Looks like a recent dinner in my house (right down to the sauce), Ronnie! Always a pleaser, right? I don't use a recipe for meatballs anymore, but most often sweat and chill a little fine dice of mirepoix to fold into them. I don't know why, I just like seeing little carrot flecks in my meatballs. And I really like whole fennel seeds in mine too. Last time I made a double batch, which is usually my move, put half of them on a sheet pan in the freezer overnight then vacuum sealed them to pull out on somewhat short notice in the near future. Sometimes I will use a pound of hot Italian sausage in lieu of plain ground pork and that works out well too.

A friend recently turned me on to the Rao's marinara (I'm not a huge marinara fan) and I really like it.

Looks like great minds think alike, Justin! I love that you just freelance it. For me with meatballs, I think I'm still searching for that magical recipe that takes me back to the best restaurant version I've ever had. And this Lidia recipe is close, even though -- ironically -- I couldn't even tell you where I had that restaurant version . . . just some place that no longer exists that I went as a kid. But I probably should branch out. Seems like once you hit those basic proportions (1 egg and 1 cup of breadcrumbs for every pound of meat), you can improvise in any way you want.

This batch used 4 pounds of meat and yielded 35 meatballs x ~68g. Most were eaten. My son -- who's spending the weekend with us -- will take a few home and we'll have few leftover for ourselves. So, no freezer stock this time around.

As for Rao's, it's the only jarred sauce I ever buy, and I've tried a lot of them (I like their arrabbiata, too but I can also add my own red chile flakes if need be). This time of year, I'd be making sauce from canned tomatoes anyway, so there isn't a big delta between the two approaches. It's a fine product and while it's a bit pricey, it's come down quite a bit in price over the past few years. A 2-pack of 28-oz jars at Costco is ~$13, so much cheaper than it used to be. And it saves a lot of time. Today, with such short notice, that was a perfect option.
=R=
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Those meatballs look yummy.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
ronnie_suburban

It had been a while since I made them and I had the right combination of inventory and leftovers, so I started the cooking day with another round of breakfast bombs . . .

Mise En Place & Hatsukokoro Komorebi Blue #2 Gyuto, 210mm
Grated aged cheddar, sauteed mushrooms, red jalapeno, leftover kielbasa & cevaps, 'Merican cheese cubes, green jalapeno, minced shallots, spice plate (salt, black pepper, sage, rosemary, thyme) and scallions. This is the cutting/grating portion of the setup.

Plated Up
Breakfast bombs for the next week or so.

During/after that, it was set-up for a pork belly (freezer stock) stir fry . . .

Mise En Place & Hatsukokoro Komorebi Blue #2 Gyuto, 210mm
Dark soy sauce, avocado oil, 4x gelatinous pork stock, freshly toasted/ground Sichuan peppercorns, 5-spice powder, 5-year black vinegar, reconstituted shiitake caps, scallions, shallots, long hot pepper, celery, 3-hour-slow-roasted pork belly, minced ginger, orange bell pepper, chopped garlic, broccoli florets, white pepper, chu hou paste, Shaoxing cooking wine and soy sauce.

Just decided to wing it here and yes, it clearly got out of control. So many ingredients -- and the picture doesn't even include the corn starch I used to thicken the whole business or the shiitake soaking liquid -- but I really wanted to use some stuff up. Happily, it worked out pretty nicely. And the shiitakes were a last minute addition. I remembered I had some fresh ones but I bought them a while ago, so they effectively became dried in the paper bag I was storing them in. No problem. A little hot water, a 2-hour soak, a gentle squeeze and they were good to go.

As for the belly, that 3-hour slow cook was right on the money. The belly was unctuous and tender but still firm enough to cut into cubes, and it stayed intact during the stir-frying.

Pork Belly & Veg Stir Fry

Plated Up
With leftover/reheated jasmine rice and some spicy-sweet cucumber salad. This one turned out really well. The way these things go, I'll probably never do the exact same thing again but if I did, the only thing I'd change would be to add a bit more of the vinegar. It goes a long way but the belly was super rich and it could have tolerated a bit more acid. I just dashed a bit on at the table.
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Ronnie your Stir-Frys ALWAYS look ssoooo delicious!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Jeff B wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:08 pm Ronnie your Stir-Frys ALWAYS look ssoooo delicious!
Thanks, Jeff. :oops:

I probably spend too much time thinking about them but I love the challenge of figuring out combinations, using up what we have, etc. when it comes to stir-fries. The Mrs. really raved about this one, which means something, though I'm not exactly sure what! :lol:
=R=
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Looks great Ronnie.

Here is tonight’s dinner. Thai meatball soup.

Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo