Retinning services for copper pots?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
jpjpjp

Retinning services for copper pots?

Post by jpjpjp »

Anyone have much experience with re-tinning copper pots?

I have a growing collection of salvaged copper pots from antique stores that I've been meaning to re-tin, but I'm not sure who to go to or how much I should expect to spend. It seems like there aren't too many tinners how there, so I'm wondering if any of you all have experience with this.

Thanks!
LaVieestBelle

Re: Retinning services for copper pots?

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Where are you located? I am in Ohio, and I help people purchase copper pots. I have referred a few collectors to this place in Ohio.... https://www.metalcoatingcompany.com/coppercookware.html

They have been around here for about 70 years. I have not heard back from customers, so please keep that in mind. Thought I would at least toss that name out to you.
Corradobrit

Post by Corradobrit »

Its not as easy as it looks. Give the work to a professional who has experience.
enjay

Post by enjay »

These guys are very much professionals --they make pans-- but according to the FAQ, it may take some time. Maybe email them to see what the turnaround might be:

http://www.brooklyncoppercookware.com/faq/#retinning
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Rocky mountain tinning co. Is good also. Ive bought pans from them.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I've had several done over the years by Brooklyn - they are great for service and do a wonderful job.
-btm-

Post by -btm- »

I've used East Coast Tinning and Southwest Hand Tinning. Shipping cost is a big factor with copper, so your location might decide for you. East Coast Tinning has been around a long time and has quick turn around. Jim is nice and easy to do business with. I personally prefer Southwest Hand Tinning for older vintage stuff. The owner is named Val. She does tinning as a side-job/passionate hobby and it shows in her work. Her finishes are much nicer and her work shows more attention to detail than what I've had from ECT. She also gives great updates and photos as she goes through the process and she's happy to answer questions about your pieces. Turnaround can be a little slower, but two weeks seems average for her. I might have some before/after pics if you are interested.

If your pieces are really wrecked... bent out of shape, leaks, holes, broken handles, etc. I'd use House Copper. She also makes her own pans and cast iron handles and she has a ton of vintage tools to do serious repairs.

Rocky Mountain Tinning looks perfectly good too. I've never used them though.

Ben
Last edited by -btm- on Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-btm-

Post by -btm- »

PS Expect to spend $4-$6 per inch. 2x sides plus bottom to figure a rough price. Most of these tinners have have a quote calculator or will get back to you quickly with a price. Southwest was around $4 and I think ECT is $5 now.

It is actually really satisfying to take an old crusty pan and see it brought back to life!
jpjpjp

Post by jpjpjp »

I am located in Maryland. I will look into all of these options. I'd obviously prefer to not wait too much longer to get these pans retinned, but a better job is a better job...

Brooklyn and East Coast seem like the most viable because of proximity, and because the pans themselves are in pretty good shape and really only need new tin. But I really do like the sound of Southwest's services.

Appreciate the help!
-btm-

Post by -btm- »

Yeah, given shipping costs and your location you might stay on the East Coast. ECT just had a spring special with free inbound shipping if you have two or more pans. He runs specials on shipping pretty often. If that has expired you can use his shipping account via the ECT website for discounted shipping.

Brooklyn copper has a lot of good info on their website. They seem to be deep into the science of the metals, etc. They posted a cool method for safely brightening tarnished tin linings using a galvanic technique. I tried it and it worked really well. Fun experiment.

You will be blown away when you get the pans back! Here are a few I recently had done by Southwest...
Val said the small sauce was 1880's, The Duparquet Saute was probably 1900-1910 and the splay was 1860's-1890's.
0.jpeg
0-1.jpeg
0-1.jpeg (46.41 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
0-2.jpeg
0-3.jpeg
0-3.jpeg (41.16 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
jpjpjp

Post by jpjpjp »

-btm- wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:42 am Yeah, given shipping costs and your location you might stay on the East Coast. ECT just had a spring special with free inbound shipping if you have two or more pans. He runs specials on shipping pretty often. If that has expired you can use his shipping account via the ECT website for discounted shipping.

Brooklyn copper has a lot of good info on their website. They seem to be deep into the science of the metals, etc. They posted a cool method for safely brightening tarnished tin linings using a galvanic technique. I tried it and it worked really well. Fun experiment.

You will be blown away when you get the pans back! Here are a few I recently had done by Southwest...
Val said the small sauce was 1880's, The Duparquet Saute was probably 1900-1910 and the splay was 1860's-1890's.

0.jpeg
0-1.jpeg
0-2.jpeg
0-3.jpeg
These are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. Pushing me that much closer to just sending them in and getting them done.
enjay

Post by enjay »

How long do you typically go between re-tinning?
-btm-

Post by -btm- »

A hand wiped tin lining should last a really long time in a home kitchen if you treat it nicely. Years and years. I have pans I've used almost daily for 4-5 years without even the slightest hint of copper showing through. I can imagine they won't need tin until my kids inherit them. I think some people blow through their linings by scouring when they clean them. Any stuck on food will come off easily with a quick soak and a soft sponge. Also, avoiding metal utensils helps. I do whisk in my pans occasionally with a metal whisk or stir with a metal spoon, but a silicone whisk and wooden spoons will prolong the life of the tin.

One other word of caution... Tin melts at around 450 degrees. Do not pre-heat your pans or put them on a flame empty. It is possible to melt your lining. Some people over-think this. It is pretty simple. Just add your fat or liquid to the pan first. Copper excels at low-temp delicate cooking and heats so quickly that you will have it up to temp in no time. Unless you let a pan boil dry your lining will be fine. For browning foods in something like a saute, butter is a good gauge of pan temperature. Your butter will be smoking and burning well before your lining melts. At first I was nervous about the tin melting, but now I don't even think about it. Just reserve your carbon steel or cast iron for full-on searing or broiling. Otherwise your copper can handle just about anything.
enjay

Post by enjay »

Thanks, btm. Adding oil to cold pan is a good tip, and something I had not considered.

I've been tempted for a while but also nervous of tin-lining, especially considering the cost of good copperware. The one piece that I own, a Bourgeat saute, is fantastic but stainless-lined. If and when I grab a rondeau think I'll seriously consider proper tin.
-btm-

Post by -btm- »

enjay-
No need to fear the tin! It is like having a carbon steel knife.... with a little extra attention it is no problem.

Yesterday I stumbled across this beautiful Lamalle copper gratin with perfect tin for a few bucks at my local thrift store. They do 1/2 price on cookware Thursdays so it was even cheaper. To celebrate the find I had to make some potatoes au gratin to go with dinner tonight :)

lamalle1.jpg
lamalle2.jpg