Picking Between Konosuke HD and Shibata Kashima

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Kerneldrop

Picking Between Konosuke HD and Shibata Kashima

Post by Kerneldrop »

How does one go about picking between a Konosuke HD Gyuto or a Shibata Kashima R-2 Gyuto?
I imagine I can't go wrong with either...but just curious what characteristics and/or qualities separate the two?

Thank you,
Michael
XexoX

Re: Picking Between Konosuke HD and Shibata Kashima

Post by XexoX »

You just get them both. Make it easy on yourself. You won't regret that decision.

Yes, I'm an enabler. :mrgreen:
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

I have the Kono HD2 on my short list to try. So I cannot compare them.

However, of my dozen or so gyuto ranging from laser to beast, my Kashima 240 stands out as genuinely magical. For onions, shallots, mushrooms, potatoes … it not only outperforms my other knives, but has a tactile quality I cannot put into words.

At this point my only question is, should I snarf up the 210 Kashima currently on offer, or hold out for the Battleship?

If there were a Kashima 180, no contest. I prefer that profile to a K-tip.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

I have the 240 ginsan version of the Kono and it's a fantastic piece of kit. I also have the 240 Shibata and if I had to choose only one, it would be the Shibata without doubt. It's just one of those knives. I call mine the "Baby Faced Assassin". There have been screeds written on this forum about both of them, so have a look for those.

As others have said you wont regret either & you could go all out and get both. Best of luck
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
trancher

Post by trancher »

I also have a Shibata Kashima 210, but not the Kono HD2 to make a comparison.

Like the others have said though, there is something almost supernatural about the effortless way the Shibata trounces produce. Compared to most of the other knives in my collection it simply glides through meal prep, silent and effortlessly. In fact, when on the board I find myself slowing down my prepping pace just to marvel in the delightful experience that this is one stupendous performing blade ... and I want the 240 now, too. 8-)
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

I'm assuming Shiabata is a smaller shop. Generally my preference has been rustic knives from small shops that perform most in-house.
But now I'm after pure performance. But Shiabata would be a win win if he has a small shop. I'll see what I can find on his shop.
XexoX wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:07 pm You just get them both. Make it easy on yourself. You won't regret that decision.

Ha, so you're saying 4 is 1.... Kono and Kashima in 240 and of course in the 210 for when one needs to save 1.1811"
I already feel quasi odd for building two knife towers...I really need 3 but I keep those hidden from my wife.
aporigine wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:21 pm ...At this point my only question is, should I snarf up the 210 Kashima currently on offer, or hold out for the Battleship?

My first Japense knife was a "close out" Tunehisa 180mm SRS. I had no clue what I bought, just that I "saved" $150. I really like the 180mm size.
I prefer smaller knives though...I only have one 240mm Gyuto with the rest being 210mm and the one 180mm.

Radar53 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:16 pm ...I call mine the "Baby Faced Assassin". There have been screeds written on this forum about both of them, so have a look for those.

As others have said you wont regret either & you could go all out and get both. Best of luck
That makes it an easy decision then because there's not a wrong one. I'll only get one though, well maybe one at a time. haha
trancher wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:29 pm I also have a Shibata Kashima 210, but not the Kono HD2 to make a comparison.

Like the others have said though, there is something almost supernatural about the effortless way the Shibata trounces produce. Compared to most of the other knives in my collection it simply glides through meal prep, silent and effortlessly. In fact, when on the board I find myself slowing down my prepping pace just to marvel in the delightful experience that this is one stupendous performing blade ... and I want the 240 now, too. 8-)
Thank you. I'm going to order a Shibata....just gotta figure out if I want the 210 or 240. I mostly have 210, so one can say get the 240 to have something different, or one can say get the 210 and let it shine amongst my other 210s. Either way, ~1.1811" isn't enough to freeze me up in the decision making process
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

Kerneldrop wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:58 am
XexoX wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:07 pm You just get them both. Make it easy on yourself. You won't regret that decision.

Ha, so you're saying 4 is 1.... Kono and Kashima in 240 and of course in the 210 for when one needs to save 1.1811"
I already feel quasi odd for building two knife towers...I really need 3 but I keep those hidden from my wife.
aporigine wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:21 pm ...At this point my only question is, should I snarf up the 210 Kashima currently on offer, or hold out for the Battleship?

My first Japense knife was a "close out" Tunehisa 180mm SRS. I had no clue what I bought, just that I "saved" $150. I really like the 180mm size.
I prefer smaller knives though...I only have one 240mm Gyuto with the rest being 210mm and the one 180mm.
Most of my knives are from small shops with a rustic look and feel.
Radar53 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:16 pm ...I call mine the "Baby Faced Assassin". There have been screeds written on this forum about both of them, so have a look for those.

That makes it an easy decision then because there's not a wrong one. I'll only get one though, well maybe one at a time. haha
trancher wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:29 pm I also have a Shibata Kashima 210, but not the Kono HD2 to make a comparison.

Thank you. I'm going to order a Shibata....just gotta figure out if I want the 210 or 240. I mostly have 210, so one can say get the 240 to have something different, or one can say get the 210 and let it shine amongst my other 210s. Either way, ~1.1811" isn't enough to freeze me up in the decision making process
If it makes a difference, the 240 handles like a smaller knife. But it has the length to do the big jobs.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
taz575

Post by taz575 »

The Kono HD is a mono steel blade and a bit thicker behind the edge than the Shibata from the ones I have seen. The Kono HD was the definition of a mono steel laser years ago and I am surprised to find something thinner! It's a great all around laser.

The Shibata is san mai blade and from the one I repaired, is crazy thin behind the edge as well as being thinner as you travel up the sides of the blade, which is saying a lot! It should ghost through product due to the thinned being higher up the blade. I was really impressed with the grind on the Shibata, but it's crazy thin at the edge and may be easier to damage.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

taz575 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:43 am ... It should ghost through product due to the thinned being higher up the blade. I was really impressed with the grind on the Shibata, but it's crazy thin at the edge and may be easier to damage.
Thank you. Now I know I can send it to you when I break it in half and wehave to turn it into a Bunka. ha
99% of my usage is veggies found in creole and cajun cuisine, and raw veggies and fresh fruits for thick smoothies that are hard to get down.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

So we have some closure...I saw where there was one 240mm left.
I went and played around with a 210 and 240mm...favored the 210 size, but I have several very nice 210 so opted for 240.
I have enough space where the tip of the 240mm isn't going to get stuck in the wall. If it does Taz will turn it into a 180mm for me.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Initially I was a bit "cautious" about the way I handled my Shibata, but now I just treat it with the same respect as any of my other lasers. Taz is right thought about the blade grinds being crazy thin and they can make a bit of a "ping" if your technique is a bit off, just to keep you on your toes. I also have the Shibata 180 Koutetsu, which has similar grinds and a crazy thin "K" tip as well.

I haven't had any issues in coming up seven years now. DISLAIMER: YMMV :o :? :roll:
Cheers Grant

aporigine

Post by aporigine »

Kerneldrop wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:44 pm So we have some closure...I saw where there was one 240mm left.
I went and played around with a 210 and 240mm...favored the 210 size, but I have several very nice 210 so opted for 240.
I have enough space where the tip of the 240mm isn't going to get stuck in the wall. If it does Taz will turn it into a 180mm for me.
I predict you’ll be happy with it. I confess to being quite curious about your impressions vs. your 210s. Keep us posted!
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

aporigine wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:14 pm I predict you’ll be happy with it. I confess to being quite curious about your impressions vs. your 210s. Keep us posted!
A 10.25" Mercer is my most used all-around cut whatever beater, throw it in the dishwasher and then hit it with a belt sander when it needs sharpening/reprofiling. My Hi-Soft cutting board is 15.75 x 11.5. I guess I can make due with just about any length. I suppose it's better to use less of a knife then it is to need more of a knife, ha.

I have two very nice 210s in Ginsan and W#2 to compare with. We'll see if a laser gives me that wow factor, or whether I'm just a redneck that just needs a knife to cut.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Radar53 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:06 pm Initially I was a bit "cautious" about the way I handled my Shibata, but now I just treat it with the same respect as any of my other lasers....
I've been hesitant in using the knives I've acquired because most are rustic hand-made that I saw as too nice to use until I eased into it.
But I finally said keeping them in boxes and using my beaters isn't the way either. They are made for the locals to use, so I need to start using them.
So I built two knife towers and brought most of them out to use.
The reality is none of mine will be appraised on the Antique Road Show, won't be on display in the Smithsonian, and all can be replaced with other options should they be destroyed. So, now it's time to put the tools to use.

I still keep my beaters out because my inlaws come over and cook while I'm not there. ha
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Kerneldrop wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:17 pm I still keep my beaters out because my inlaws come over and cook while I'm not there. ha
Very wise.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Kerneldrop wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:17 pm
Radar53 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:06 pm Initially I was a bit "cautious" about the way I handled my Shibata, but now I just treat it with the same respect as any of my other lasers....
I've been hesitant in using the knives I've acquired because most are rustic hand-made that I saw as too nice to use until I eased into it.
But I finally said keeping them in boxes and using my beaters isn't the way either. They are made for the locals to use, so I need to start using them.

I still keep my beaters out because my inlaws come over and cook while I'm not there. ha
Hi there Kerneldrop. Yes I'm with you on both your comments above. Our Scanpan beaters have pride of place on the bench and my JK's are in one of our kitchen drawers. And yes, I like to keep my favourite things pristine and safe, but you are absolutely right, going overboard with this can deprive you of the joy of their real purpose in life ........ I have to admit that sometimes I struggle getting that balance right. :o :o :o
Cheers Grant

Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

I am incapable of not using the knives I buy, so I do sometimes avoid fancier stuff. Definitely had some hesitation when I bought my first J-knives. Now I am totally comfortable with what I have owned, but I have never used anything that would be considered a laser. I plan on getting one one day, and I'll probably be hesitant all over again, ha ha! But it will get used! I just can't help it, knives want to cut things.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Radar53 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:01 pm ...
Now i am worried about messing up the knives by sharpening them.
But I have to learn.
I imagine anything I do can be corrected by sending it off to a sharpener that is well-experienced with Japenese Knives.
In hindsight, I would be time and money ahead by not amassing a collection of stones, and instead sending the knives off a couple times a year for sharpening. lol I have some cheaper Tojiro and a few other cheaper knives that I'll use to test the sharpening waters.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Kekoa wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:24 pm ...But it will get used! I just can't help it, knives want to cut things.
What I go back to is that these makers want their knives to be used...they don't want them sitting in boxes on a shelf.
Took me a little while to get to that mindset.
The other thing was I didn't have a way to store them to where the edges stay fresh the longest...but I have that fixed now with knife towers.
I kept them on a shelf until I had a place to store them.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I use knife blocks where the knife rests on its side instead of the edge/spine. Or a mag block.

If you are sharpening with stones just stop and check your work as you go and the damage caused will be pretty limited. Strops will keep a sharp edge sharp for a long time, too. As a home cook cooking several times a week, I went 9 months just by stropping the knife. I could have gone longer, but I acid etched the blade to bring out layers and that killed the edge.