Want to get a cast iron pan

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Kerneldrop

Re: Want to get a cast iron pan

Post by Kerneldrop »

Daily lunch at the office....I have an air fryer for the veggies.
Tomorrow before lunch I'll clean it with a chainmill and water then let it get hot before cooking in it again.
I get lazy and don't like cleaning on same day...i just hide it in the oven.

JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

Kekoa wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:39 pm I got to take a quick look at the cast iron pans at the antique store yesterday. There are about six Wagners around 8-10 in. for $30-40 dollars depending on which one. They look OK to my untrained eye, fairly smooth bottoms, but with some small pits scattered across the surface. Not sure if that is typical. They didn't feel bad from a weight perspective for me personally, I wouldn't mind the weight at all. I have no idea how old they are, and unfortunately I wasn't able to snap a picture this time around to help date them. I'll try to get a picture if I happen to end up there again.

Not sure what to think of the pricing, or if the little pits in the bottom matter. Any thoughts?
Personally, that is a little more than I would care to pay for a Wagner unless it had a really smooth interior and was in good shape. If the pitting isn't too bad, the build-up of seasoning will take care it (similar to how the pebbled surface of a Lodge smooths a bit over time). Some of the older Wagners are lighter than the later models, which many consider an advantage, so if these are vintage Wagners and are lighter than a similar Lodge, it might be worth trying. You'll only be out $30...
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Here's a cool one I restored. It's been sitting for 20 years so a little rust has built up but that's surface and will come right out.
I don't know the maker.
I haven't come across another one with a bottom like that.

ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

Kerneldrop wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:42 pm Here's a cool one I restored...
Is that a Dutch oven? If so I see pot roast and biscuits in your future! :)
Sam
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

ex1580 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:26 pm Is that a Dutch oven? If so I see pot roast and biscuits in your future! :)
8 quart dutch oven. I restored it 20 years ago and it's been sitting on a shelf in my mamaw's pantry untouched since then.
I was over there today and took a pic.
I need to bring it home and start cooking in it.