What do you think about this grind?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
blossom

What do you think about this grind?

Post by blossom »

I recently received this knife. Very nice knife but i can't help but think the grind seem quite low in the middle?

What do you guys think of it?

For the record this didn't come from our hosts store.
IMG_20190807_131635.jpg
IMG_20190807_131531.jpg
Altadan

Re: What do you think about this grind?

Post by Altadan »

Just from a glance, I gotta say that middle section looks a lot like other examples I've seen in photos of the Anryu B#2 Hammered (which is what you're holding there, right?).
Check out the third photo on the CKTG page, where its viewed along the ruler. Looks pretty identical to what you've got.

Do you feel the low grind affects the performance of your knife?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Altadan wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:12 am Just from a glance, I gotta say that middle section looks a lot like other examples I've seen in photos of the Anryu B#2 Hammered (which is what you're holding there, right?).
Check out the third photo on the CKTG page, where its viewed along the ruler. Looks pretty identical to what you've got.

I could be wrong, but I think the OP is referring to the primary grind starting relatively near to the edge, evidenced by the hammered finish coming quite a bit down the knife from the spine.

To the OP, I've never handled this knife, but knife makers have different heights of grinds. Looks good to me.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

how does it perform?
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

It looks pretty low to me, and a little uneven but pics can be deceiving.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Drewski wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 am
Altadan wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:12 am Just from a glance, I gotta say that middle section looks a lot like other examples I've seen in photos of the Anryu B#2 Hammered (which is what you're holding there, right?).

I could be wrong, but I think the OP is referring to the primary grind starting relatively near to the edge, evidenced by the hammered finish coming quite a bit down the knife from the spine.

To the OP, I've never handled this knife, but knife makers have different heights of grinds. Looks good to me.
I think we're talking about the same thing.
Here's the photo on the CKTG site.
Attachments
Anryu B#2 210
Anryu B#2 210
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

Handcrafted Japanese knives aren’t intended to be be perfect. If it doesn’t affect performance, appreciate how unique your knife is.
Mowgface

Post by Mowgface »

Personally, i'd be more concerned with the section of the tip where the cladding appears to dip to the edge.

Mowgs
gladius

Post by gladius »

---
Yes...in a positive way. The Anryu's have a good reputation for food separation and release because of this grind.
It looks fine - use it and let us know how it performs for you.
flying hippo

Post by flying hippo »

Anryu B2 Hammered is a highly regarded line with the reputation of outstanding performance for its price point. That said, yeah the grind line looks off in following the profile of the knife. I think DO its normal however. As stated previously there is a Japanese aesthetic of seeing beauty in imperfection. That isn't the only aesthetic however, perfection is valued as well but usually you have to pay for it. Uneven grinds could simply be the trade off for being at the lower price point. I don't think its going to affect performance but I think the only way to know is to actually try it out.
blossom

Post by blossom »

Thanks very much for all the replies. I was interested to see what others thought.

Yes this is the Anryu B2 Hammered and it is the 240mm.

As some others seemed to agree I still am inclined to think the grind is quite low. Although it cuts VERY well I wonder how many years in the long run the grind will last before major adjustment will be required. I guess this is just in the lower range of Anryu's margins for this product. In saying that my just arrived Anryu B2 hammered 180 gyuto Certainly has a nicer looking grind than the 240..... again I guess the 240 is within its margins. I also do understand the custom/hand made aspect to these Japanese knives...

All in all I am still a very happy owner... That said I have obviously got a small knife fetish happening like the rest of you and that means i do get critical about it to at least some extent....:-)

Again thanks for you opinions.
timos

Post by timos »

A hammered billet of steel like that is not going to be perfectly rectangular so even if the bevels are evenly ground it wont look that way.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

It seems fine. Many grinds do not follow the edge in a parallel even way, kato's knives are ground similarly, it offers a thinner tip and a heavier middle of the knife grind for better food separation and release. Another example are knives with agressive taper, like some TF ive seen, the knives are so well tappered both spine to edge and handle to tip, that the blade road gets a lot smaller in the front, due to the forged geometry.

In the end, if it doesnt cut like you want it to, thin it up a little. ALL knives will have to be thinned and modified eventually
salemj

Post by salemj »

blossom wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:34 am Thanks very much for all the replies. I was interested to see what others thought.

Yes this is the Anryu B2 Hammered and it is the 240mm.

As some others seemed to agree I still am inclined to think the grind is quite low. Although it cuts VERY well I wonder how many years in the long run the grind will last before major adjustment will be required. I guess this is just in the lower range of Anryu's margins for this product. In saying that my just arrived Anryu B2 hammered 180 gyuto Certainly has a nicer looking grind than the 240..... again I guess the 240 is within its margins. I also do understand the custom/hand made aspect to these Japanese knives...

All in all I am still a very happy owner... That said I have obviously got a small knife fetish happening like the rest of you and that means i do get critical about it to at least some extent....:-)

Again thanks for you opinions.
I would say that regardless of performance, if it bugs you, sell it now before you put too much use into it. We all develop blade preferences, and regardless of whether or not it is a "good" knife or if it "performs," if it is something that nags you and it relates to maintenance, it will probably not go away and it will also probably inhibit your enjoyment when using it.

My point is, this is a PRIMARY feature of this knife. If you were complaining about uneven hammer marks, or something about the handle fit, or another "first impression" issue, I might say live with it and it may go away. But your concern is not only about the look of the grind, but an anxiety about how it will wear over time and how that relates to performance. You can see from the comments above that people who like this knife are very comfortable with how it is ground, and that is a primary selling point. So you might want to consider that. I love Konosuke knives (for the most part), and I would normally suggest someone hesitant give them some time...however, if someone's first comment is "boy, I'm really annoyed by the lack of heft and how much food sticks, and it doesn't cut any better for me than my other heftier knife that I prefer," I'd tell them to sell it immediately because the things they don't like are related to the primary strengths of the knife and not its potential flaws. Make sense?

Besides, if you look in the classifieds, you'll see very few knives being sold because they are defective. Most of us who have been on the forum for a while have sold a few knives for precisely reasons like this: not because they are bad knives, nor because they are flawed, but because there is something about them that may not appeal to us personally, but we know others will have no issue with.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.